Anyone Had Low Creatinine Levels?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone Had Low Creatinine Levels?

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Recently had a cbc/lipid panel done and while most things have improved, the clinic says my Creatinine Level and BUN/Creatinine Ratio are too low (6, vs "normal" range of 10-30), & want me to see my doc for more extensive testing. Has anybody else experienced low creatinine and/or BUN/creatinine?

BTW, Googling some medical sites on creatinine indicates that a diet that is deficient in protein can cause creatinine and BUN/creatinine to be "too low." But is the "minimum normal" level set artificially high due to using SAD-eaters as the "norm?"

My protein intake probably IS well below "normal," so is this cause for concern? Or is this just a case of "normal" being skewed high because most "normal" people eat meat, eggs, & milk on a daily basis?
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby talkingmountain » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Great idea to use the cronometer, thanks!
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Re: Anyone Had Low Creatinine Levels?

Postby simoncat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:52 pm

From what I have read, creatinine has something to do with the kidneys. I know that if I eat too much spinach, it gives me kidney stones Thus, I wonder if it could affect creatinine levels. You might check if you are getting to much oxalic acid (which is in spinach and other things) and causes kidney stones and maybe changes creatinine. Just a thought.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whvr8sU/]
[/url]
simoncat

Postby somnolent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:24 pm

talkingmountain, hopefully this will turn out to be nothing serious. I understand that high creatinine is bad (kidney problems) but low creatinine? Did an actual doctor analyze these test results? Or is it just that clinic staffers are required to send you back to your doctor whenever a lab result is listed as "abnormal"?
somnolent

Postby BeanBubby » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 am

I actually had borderline low Creatinine levels a few years ago when I was adding a lot of whole foods to my diet. I don't remember the numbers and I wasn't completely MacDougalling...I was actually doing a WW Core program. It was all whole foods, but also allowed lean meats and non-fat dairy.

Anyway I did find this on the internet: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/liverand ... 03123.html

Apparently it means a very efficient pair of kidneys!!
BeanBubby

Postby BeanBubby » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 pm

I did find this website, and if you scroll down to the chart it mentions some causes of low creatinine. The following sentence also says it's not a reliable test for kidney disease.

I've read over and over that a low 'meat' diet can cause this as well.

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdo ... lab_g4.htm

Perhaps we can get other McDougall-er's to post their levels if they've had them taken. That may explain a little more. :)
BeanBubby

Postby Cycler » Sun May 08, 2011 1:59 am

I don't know about Creatinine levels, I have had more than 30 kidney stones up to now... and for the first time have had to have surgery to get some broken up so I could pass them. I had the last surgery on Friday. I have recently decided to become vegetarian, don't know if it will help but couldn't hurt. Yes, I am VERY tired of passing stones at the age of 38. I started passing stones as a young child, but at the time the doctors did not check for stones, they thought that it was gas.

My doctors have always said that I don't drink enough water, well its not that I don't drink enough most of the time, but some days I simply forget to drink anything, I just don't realize that I am thirsty. Its a chronic problem these days for most to drink enough. I am also now adding fresh lemon wedges to my water doc said that this would be a good thing to do. I have also started drinking Almond Milk, it has an ingredient in it that was part of a prescription my doc gave me "potassium citrate". Not sure if there is as much in that as there is in the pills, likely not, but hopefully giving up meat and dairy products will also help. I have also given up caffeine and soda's. Yes, I have the occasional caffeinated drink, but no more than once a week, if even that often. Most days I drink more than 100 oz of water over the course of the day.

I have never been in the habit of taking supplements like vitamins, but one thing I have done since I can remember is eat a bowl of cereal with milk, every morning. It was rare to do anything else. I don't do that anymore, and definitely not with cows milk if I do eat cereal. Now I switch it up with fruit, or toast, or a muffin. and I start my day with a 12 oz glass of water or watered down juice.

If there is a miracle cure, I don't know what it is yet, but I certainly hope that changing my diet to being plant based helps.
Cycler

Return to The Lounge