107 year old man outlives his savings - TWICE!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

107 year old man outlives his savings - TWICE!

Postby nomikins » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:26 pm

He credits his longevity to nutrition and exercise.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 1.html?g=0
nomikins

Postby Daffodil » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:57 pm

That was an interesting story! I had just read this before i signed on and emailed the story to many of my relatives. The story did not go into what he eats, but I can probably guess. He said he ate his cake for his 107th birthday party, but he said it is not healthy food. Smart guy. 8)
Daffodil

Postby Anna Green » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Yes, and why didn't they mention what he eats? I have a feeling if it were a daily steak that would have been the headline. Or am I just way too cynical?
Anna Green

Postby Sulamith » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:58 pm

There are links to other press articles on the savelarry site.

From one:

"When we asked his food preferences, Haubner said he prefers fruits, nuts and vegetables.

And when I asked what he reads, he told me it's mostly newspapers and health magazines. That's when he told me he was a "picky eater." Not finicky, but choosy.

That was underscored when Heim, who enjoys visiting and befriending the elderly in area homes, told me that she once brought candy for Haubner. "The first thing he did was to read the fine print in the ingredients!" she said.

She has visited since then, she said, and remembered his reaction to the candy: "The next time, I took him fruit," she said." :D

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007 ... r_friendly
Sulamith

Postby funcrunch » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Good story. Whenever I hear of "fat activists" defending their girth, I think about how few fat elderly people one sees. May sound harsh but it's simple truth. Eat healthy now and live a long healthy life!
funcrunch

Postby Daffodil » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 pm

I find it really interesting that the first story did not even say what he ate. I bet the nutrition part was kept out on purpose. We can't have everyone in the country getting healthier, now can we? (that's what the special interest groups promoting the SAD diet plus drugs and surgery would say. It would put them out of business big time.)
Daffodil

Postby somnolent » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 am

He looks amazing for 107! Wow!

I think that assisted living facility should make an exception and just give him a discount.
somnolent

Postby Birdy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 am

Really good post Nomikins. Thank you!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby TominTN » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi, Carroll.

Go to the news story page of savelarry.org and read the stories there. They provide more detail about his history.

If four thousand people would commit to providing a dollar a month, his needs really would be covered for life. What the assisted living center where he lives charges is $3370, already discounted from what they charge most of their residents.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Return to The Lounge