Blue Zones

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blue Zones

Postby dlb » Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 pm

I saw a short clip on Dateline tonight about Blue Zones. These are zones where people are healthier/living longer. I took a quick look at their website http://www.bluezones.com.

They do talk about the benefits of a plant based diet both for individual health and planatary health. Some of the stuff (goats milk, olive oil) is not in line with Dr. McDougall's teachings. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

They have a vitality calculator that's quick and free. According to their calculations I have a life expectancy of 95.6 years! Though they did say I could live 2.1 years longer if I a) ate fish (no thank you!) and b) got a job (no thank you again!).

Donna
dlb

Postby TominTN » Mon May 11, 2009 5:05 am

Hi, Donna.

They forgot about the 9.2 extra years you're likely to get because of your proactive health attitudes. (Just made that up -- you know like 78% of statistics are made up on the spot :))
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby dlb » Mon May 11, 2009 7:45 am

Thanks for the few extra years Tom. It would be cool to make it over 100 :D .

Donna
dlb

Postby alias » Mon May 11, 2009 3:02 pm

If you would like to read more about it, Dan Buettner wrote The Blue Zone. I enjoyed it a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Zones-Lessons-Living-Longest/dp/1426204000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242075515&sr=8-1

The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest (Paperback)

Product Description
With the right lifestyle, experts say, chances are that you may live up to a decade longer. What’s the prescription for success? National Geographic Explorer Dan Buettner has traveled the globe to uncover the best strategies for longevity found in the Blue Zones: places in the world where higher percentages of people enjoy remarkably long, full lives. And in this dynamic book he discloses the recipe, blending this unique lifestyle formula with the latest scientific findings to inspire easy, lasting change that may add years to your life.

You’ll meet a 94-year-old farmer and self-confessed "ladies man" in Costa Rica, a 102-year-old grandmother in Okinawa a 102-year-old Sardinian who hikes at least six miles a day, and others. By observing their lifestyles, Buettner's team has identified critical everyday choices.
alias

Postby LJ » Tue May 12, 2009 6:22 am

Another good book along the same lines is Healthy at 100 by John Robbins.
LJ

Postby Faith in DC » Tue May 12, 2009 11:08 am

I saw this on Oprah one day. It reminded me of the National Geographic article that was out a few years ago. Great article.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby HealthFreak » Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm

LJ wrote:Another good book along the same lines is Healthy at 100 by John Robbins.

I read this book about a year ago. It's very good.
HealthFreak

Postby dlb » Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 am

LJ -

Miss that one. I will have to get it.

Thanks,
Donna
dlb

Postby LJ » Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 pm

dlb wrote:LJ -

Miss that one. I will have to get it.

Thanks,
Donna

Found it at my local libray and just finished it about a month ago. I also saw the Blue Zone show on Oprah and, if I remember correcty, either one or two of the 'blue zones' is some of the cultures that Robbins discusses in Healthy at 100.
LJ

Return to The Lounge