Follow Dr. McDougall on Twitter

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Follow Dr. McDougall on Twitter

Postby nealinhawaii » Fri May 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Great News! Here's the link: http://twitter.com/JohnMcDougallMD
nealinhawaii

Re: Follow Dr. McDougall on Twitter

Postby Purdy » Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 am

nealinhawaii wrote:Great News! Here's the link: http://twitter.com/JohnMcDougallMD

You know, call me old fashioned, but I really don't think we need "twitter" updates from Dr. McDougall.

One can only hope this twitter-mania is short lived.

Nothing...and I do mean almost nothing Dr. McDougall has to say can't wait for a less frantic method of dissemination.

He has been giving the same advice since the early 90's...... Waiting a few more weeks to get the latest isn't likely gonna leave people in the dark.

Whats next, twitter updates from the Pope?
"Update---The latest angles on reciting the Rosary in a effective manner"

I don't think its just by chance that the root of twitter is "twit?

Perhaps I'm just grumpy tonight?
Purdy

Postby Daffodil » Sat May 02, 2009 1:39 am

Dr. McDougall is also on Facebook. I signed up as a fan.

That whole Twitter thing I just cannot get into. I really don't think the world wants to know what I and thousands of others are doing every single second of the day. That place would probably drive me nuts.
Facebook drives me nuts and it's just my humongous family in there that can see my info. Plus a few really close friends only. They send me all kinds of weird things and I am presently in the hundred's or more requests behind. But since I skipped a week, it's probably close to a thousand by now. :eek:
Daffodil

Twitter

Postby AnnaS » Sat May 02, 2009 8:31 am

I am amused by this twitter stuff...personally I think at the age of 55 I have reached the upper limit on new technology that I want to learn to use. I am NOT a techno-dummy, I just don't see the point, I don't "get" twitter. And, I have to admit I don't know how to send a text message with my cell phone either...I also can't think of a reason to do so!

I am glad that others have fun with this stuff and see benefit in it. Me, I think I'll just sit here next to the cave banging some rocks together.
AnnaS

Re: Twitter

Postby Purdy » Sat May 02, 2009 12:13 pm

AnnaS wrote: Me, I think I'll just sit here next to the cave banging some rocks together.

Anna, But just imagine all the brilliant and deep stuff your friends in high school missed out on because you couldn't instantly send them your amazing insights... No doubt every hour or so you were experiencing a deeper understanding of life and by the time you waited until 3:00 pm, that enlightenment and understanding would have been lost forever.

Now, with modern technology, none of that philosophy is lost. Instead you text it or twit it for all the world to benefit.

Why just yesterday in the supermarket, I saw/heard a woman in the canned beans aisle, receiving and sharing essential insights from her friend Melissa about that guy she met at the Starbucks earlier........while also wondering aloud, for all to hear, about which kind of beans she thought tasted best.
Just 20 years ago all this would have been lost.

My oh my, whatever did people do with their private time before they had none? Imagine back 20 years ago, people forced to walk around with ONLY their own thoughts.......how wasteful and selfish.
Purdy

Postby slugmom » Sat May 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Well, I use twitter and like it and am glad to see Dr. McD there.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby vgnwitch » Sat May 02, 2009 3:13 pm

slugmom wrote:Well, I use twitter and like it and am glad to see Dr. McD there.

Me too! :)
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Re: Twitter

Postby AnnaS » Sat May 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Purdy wrote:My oh my, whatever did people do with their private time before they had none? Imagine back 20 years ago, people forced to walk around with ONLY their own thoughts.......how wasteful and selfish.

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Well, I share your amusement here, but it's really not fair for me to spoil other people's fun...so I should just keep out of it and not comment. Who knows, maybe someday I'll join up too.

Actually, in the past (in the 18th and 19th centuries anyway), those who could were churning out vast numbers of letters...with mail delivery four times a day, it was ALMOST as good as email! And they kept journals, which I guess was like Twitter but with more words...and you had to read it aloud to people instead of posting it, but same idea... I don't think people have changed all that much in their desire to interact and find out what's up.
AnnaS

Postby HealthFreak » Sat May 02, 2009 6:14 pm

The Twitter Guys are number 1 on the list in The Builders and Titans section of Time magazines 100 most influential people. Ashton Kutcher gives his opinion on The Twitter Guys..."Biz Stone and Evan Williams will be referenced side by side with...Samuel Morse, Alexander Graham Bell..."

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 37,00.html
HealthFreak

Postby Purdy » Sat May 02, 2009 6:33 pm

[quote="HealthFreak" Ashton Kutcher gives his opinion on The Twitter Guys..."Biz Stone and Evan Williams will be referenced side by side with...Samuel Morse, Alexander Graham Bell..."l[/quote]

Well, that just about settles it...

I was just waiting for the wisdom of Ashton Kutcher to confirm it in my own mind. No doubt he and Demi Moore are in full agreement.
Case closed.

Next, his treatise on the wisdom of Siddhattha Gautama
Purdy

Twitter

Postby desert rich » Sat May 02, 2009 7:20 pm

I suspect that all of these different venues may seem like overload to some. If there's a communication vehicle available for Dr. McDougall to utilize, I would urge him to use it as much as possible. There isn't enough time in the day and there aren't enough ways to get this most important message out to the world, that he can afford to ignore any opportunity. I'm constantly saddened that more people haven't found his message. Keep going Dr. McDougall and tell the world every way you can! I'm also doing my best to tell everyone I know about this most amazing message. :)
desert rich

twitter

Postby langerangersquared » Sat May 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Can someone who is "into" twitter explain how it differs or is superior in some way to facebook, myspace, etc.? Don
langerangersquared

Postby slugmom » Sat May 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Don

think of it as a "mini blog" -- people write posts of 140 characters or less. A little like the wall on facebook, but without all the facebook overload. It's a LOT less information / toys / obnoxious stuff (oops, showing my bias) than facebook.

You follow whom you want to follow, and you can make your posts private if you only want friends/family to see them.

So if you were to sign up, you make a name/nickname for yourself. Then you go to your home page and it shows you, down below, all the recent updates from whomever you follow, and your own posts (tweets).

You can get "twitter readers" that automatically refresh and show you new posts from those you follow, some categorize them so you can see the important-to-you people in different folders/frames than the ones you don't necessarily want to read each and every post ...

It can be a bit odd, if you see half-conversations that someone you follow has with someone you don't follow. You'd only see the posts from the ones you follow unless you went to read the other persons.

I like it because I can use it like a mini blog and my friends and family read it. When my mom was traveling she used hers to keep the family updated as to where they were. You can send in posts from your cell phone.

Sure, some people post empty, stupid stuff all day long, things like "Just ate a burrito." -- you don't have to follow them if you don't want. :) Contrary to what Purdy implied, it doesn't mean that everyone who uses it posts stupid, empty things. Some businesses use it to post links to information. Once again, you follow the ones you're interested in and ignore the rest.

I hope that sort of explains it. You can go to Dr. McDougall's twitter link (posted in the first post) and see what it looks like without signing up (another big benefit over facebook, if you ask me)
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Daffodil » Sun May 03, 2009 12:03 am

It's funny, after posting that last night, I found some useful idea's for Twitter. There was a news article about a group of homeowners in Atlanta using Twitter for their neighborhood watch program. It's a huge success and now others are doing it too. When they see anything suspicious, they let the whole group know immediately. Whether it's for suspicious vehicles or whatever. Plus they are connected to their local police dept.
My own neighborhood, we have been looking for something to keep us informed in real time. I'll do some more investigating first though. It only works if everyone else is glued to their computers/handhelds/cellphones.

What's funny, I thought I'd never join Facebook, but I did with my families persuasion. We are all spread out over the US and in some other countries, so that can be a good thing, keeping in touch versus being out of touch for years and even decades like we were before.
Daffodil

Re: Follow Dr. McDougall on Twitter

Postby Clary » Sun May 03, 2009 6:36 am

nealinhawaii wrote:Great News! Here's the link: http://twitter.com/JohnMcDougallMD

Thanks for the tip, Neal. Good for him. Dr. McDougall is a Man of the Times! (as well as staying "ahead of the times" in many ways :nod: )

Description from the link:
Name John McDougall
Location Santa Rosa, California
Web http://www.drmcdougall.com/
Bio Physician and nutrition expert who teaches
better health through vegetarian cuisine

Usually he avoids the "vegetarian" label in favor of "starch-centered w/added fruits and veges". In this case, I suppose "vegetarian" is better recognized (and less awkward) in broader public use where many "non-McDougallers" have an immediate level of personal understanding/interpretation of what "vegetarian" means, and can choose to be exposed to his teachings if interested in "vegetarianism".

I'm his "fan" on FaceBook, and appreciate notices of quickly and easily accessed information from his page, while I am already there catching up on friends and family--activities, photos, e-mail, etc. --all in one location without having to move through different websites, links, and email accounts. I just ignore or block any FB gifts or updates or "friend" offers not of interest to me. I use the "hide" feature when a friend or two become excessive with their descriptive updates. :eek:

All of our family are much more in contact now than in the past. I am not much up to date on digital photos, etc. but most of them are, and I enjoy seeing the "instant" photos of children, grandchildren, re-unions, etc.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Next

Return to The Lounge