Sleeping and weight gain?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sleeping and weight gain?

Postby topview1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 am

Why Snoozing is Important for Losing
Nutrition News Flash
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian

Burning the midnight oil could be giving you the munchies the next day. A small study found that lack of sleep might trigger individuals to eat more. Twelve young men slept for only four hours on two consecutive nights. Then hormone levels and hunger ratings were recorded:

* The hormone leptin, which alerts the brain that it is time to stop eating, was 18% lower.
* The hormone ghrelin, which triggers hunger, was 28% higher.
* The men showed a 24% increase in assessing their "hunger rating" following the sleep restriction. The rise in obesity has occurred simultaneously with the decline in time spent sleeping. Currently only about 25% of young Americans get 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night. In 1960, 41% received 8 to 9 hours of sleep nightly.

Action Sparked
Additional studies are needed to confirm this initial study. However, consistently getting a good night’s sleep (at least 8 hours) may be one of the answers to maintaining a healthy weight. This sensible recommendation may be one of the easier lifestyle changes to make. Too busy for that much sleep? Try getting to bed an hour earlier each night when you can. Maintaining the same bedtime (and alarm time) each day (including weekends!) can also stabilize your circadian rhythm.
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wel ... asp?id=651

-------------------------------------------------

I found this quite interesting, because I have noticed this myself. Days when I am sleep deficient are when I eat and eat, even though I can feel myself full. It is like the stop button is broken. I'm glad to see it studied and the mechanisms figured out. :)

I also find that going to bed around 11 and getting up at 6 each morning helps my balance as well. If I go later or get up later, I am "off" for the day, with headaches and missing regular body functions. Weekend or not, it works best for me to get up and get moving :)

eta:
A bit more I googled on this study:
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/summary/141/11/846
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/89/1/126
Last edited by topview1 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melanie
McDougalling with 5 special somebodies
4 boys - 9,7,5,3

topview1

Postby VibrantVegan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:47 am

Thanks for the great post. It is always interesting to note the hormonal responses to our actions.
Vibrant Vegan: An ebullient example of supreme health and fitness. A strong, fit, caring, compassionate, enthusiastic person who deliberately chooses to live a joyful, exuberant, vibrantly healthy, plant-powered life! www.vibrantvegan.com
VibrantVegan

Postby Jan Tz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 am

Don't know about hormones, but I know that when I am really feeling sleep-deprived, I need energy, and that energy will come from calories, sugar, and caffeine. Bad news for weight control!
Jan Tz

Return to The Lounge