When should I discuss diet??

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Maybe you could invite them to watch one of Dr. McDougall's health DVDs with you?

The DVDs are very good and informative and you could pick one that talks specifically about their situation and explains the program well.

In San Francisco we are having a McDougall Movie Event on Feb. 1. But other McDougallers can make their own groups to watch a DVD around the same time (in their time zone) but meet up for the Q & A skype session with Dr. McDougall (so far it looks like it'll be 1pm PST that day).

First we're meeting at Sunday Feb. 1, 10 am PST for brunch and watching one of the DVDs, then Dr. McDougall will be available 1pm PST Sunday Feb. 1 online on skype to answer any questions.

Skype is an internet phone service, free to all who use it. You can learn more about skype and what we're up to at http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10035

Regardless whether or not you guys want to or can participate with us, it would be helpful to give them as much info and support in the way of DVDs, books, and the "being there" for them emotional support. I imagine they will be motivated to change. Good luck!
Caroveggie

Postby hope101 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:15 pm

The sooner the better. If it were me and I'd already been given subtle permission to broach the subject--a little tricky when dealing with an employer/employee relationship--I'd be in her room the minute she was conscious and able to understand anything. Then I'd tell them that you feel obligated to pass on information that might save her life and ask permission to explain and begin. Don't leave without giving them a copy of Dr. E's book and Dr. McD's newsletter: www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/sept/angio.htm (Those angiograms are real hard to argue with.) And make sure you go back for followup questions. She'll have more for you as the immediate shock wears off and her mental acuity increases.

If you have the time and energy, you might be able to help by advocating for her while she fights the hospital kitchen, or at least guide her food choices there. You might even need to bring in food for her.

If she has access to a computer while in there, you can suggest she e-mails Dr. M with her questions about treatment direction. As long as she's not having any damage to her heart muscle, they'll lay off on the procedures for a little while. But my guess is it won't be long before they'll be hitting her up for bypass surgery. If she's done some reading beforehand she'll be a little more prepared than otherwise.
hope101

Postby Letha » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Lots of good advice by the previous responders. I would just add that for your own benefit, try not to be too attached to the outcome. Share sincerely what you believe would be helpful for them, and then allow them to choose their own path. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha

debbie - skype explanation

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Skype is a free "telephone" service provided over the internet by http://www.skype.com -- it's phone over the internet and you can add live video if you have a webcam (or a camcorder and firewire). The two people have to have their own (free) skype accounts, a mic and speakers if their computers don't already come with them, and then they can talk -- no charges for the phone call no matter the distance.

I explained it in the thread: http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10035 (scroll down to my skype post)
Caroveggie

Re: When should I discuss diet??

Postby momof4 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:10 pm

debbie wrote: My hubby told him and his wife to talk to me, that I could help them.

Actually, I have a different opinion from the others. If your husband's already offered them your help, I'd leave it at that--the ball's now in their court, so to speak. I know how difficult it is to watch other people make what I believe are bad choices, but I have to remember that their health is their responsibility, and they know there are many places they can get their questions answered. Anyone that knows me, knows what diet I follow, and only a few ask questions. But the ones that are really in trouble (morbid obesity, diabetes, heart problems) chose not to ask--and I want SO BADLY to pass stuff on, but it's not normally well-received if it's not asked for. Also, there's a sense of ownership when people seek answers, rather than getting information that they may not be ready for.

I did pass on Dr McDougall's website to my mom's husband when he was diagnosed w/diabetes, and my mom said he read it--but he chose to follow the ADA guidelines instead (desserts are fine, but no pineapple :? ). Once I went through the CHIP program, I passed that info to my mom (since there's a location near them), and said, "I know it's probably not what you want to do, but I'd feel bad if I didn't let you know about it." I think that let them know I wasn't going to be insulted if they chose not to go.

As I'm getting older, I'm finding that learning to be quiet at certain times is really an art (and a discipline), and it's very difficult and a slow process to learn.
momof4

Postby kimba » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:03 am

Why not invite them over again to your home for a meal, instead this time vegan foods.

That should get some questions coming to you.

kimba
kimba

Return to The Lounge