Beet Advice Needed

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beet Advice Needed

Postby DenverGuy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:50 pm

I keep hearing about how great beets are, but it's always about beet juice. I'm not interested in that. How about just beets? Am I out of line with this? :-D
Any suggestions on quantity to consu8me and how often?
DenverGuy

Re: Beet Advice Needed

Postby Daydream » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:19 pm

I buy organic beets at the market that are already cooked and peeled. There is nothing added on the beets and I like them that way (the only ingredient on the package is beets). Eat a few when you are in the mood for them. My husband never liked beets, so he won't eat them. To each is his or her own!
Daydream

Postby DenverGuy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:26 pm

I bought those today from Costco! Love (brand) organic cooked beets.
DenverGuy

Postby Ejeff » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:33 am

I look at consuming juice similar to consuming oil. Why would I buy or drink just the juice when I can have the whole food with all the fibre. I recently bought a big beet. I’m going to eat it raw by shredding or dicing it small and adding it to my salads.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:16 pm

DenverGuy wrote:I bought those today from Costco! Love (brand) organic cooked beets.

The one and only time our Costco had this was about 2 years ago when they were on sale. I bought 20 boxes at the time. None of my local grocery stores carry plain Love Beets any more, only the flavored ones and Geffen brand, which I find too tasteless and hard.

And you won't find any of the good vegan docs pushing beet juice, just plain old beets, whether raw or cooked. In fact, it's one of the foods in Dr Esselstyn's list of top "greens" for heart health. Here's a link to a list of Esselstyn videos on the importance of chewing, not liquifying and drinking, your "greens":

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eselstyn+drink+greens
VeggieSue

Postby DenverGuy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:36 pm

I agree about the juice thing. I am not a fan of juices.
Is there a recommended beet serving size and how often they should be eaten?
DenverGuy

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:21 pm

As often as you enjoy them?

I make a baked casserole dish of steamed beets, steamed carrots and steamed potatoes, mixed with dressing of beets, orange juice and ginger, served with fresh herb like parsley, either hot or cold as root salad.

Competes with other good tasting dishes to get into the meal rotation.
michaelswarm

Postby DynoDan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:07 pm

Don’t typically take any supplements that aren’t a specific medicinal treatment, but this discussion re: ‘beets’ has me curious. I never cared for the taste of the ‘whole’ item, but my latest online food supplier included a free sample bottle in the last order: BEET ROOT capsules. My inclination was to just toss them, but am curious regarding the ‘ROOT’ aspect (?). What’s the deal? Just another hustle?
DynoDan

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 am

DynoDan wrote:BEET ROOT capsules. My inclination was to just toss them, but am curious regarding the ‘ROOT’ aspect (?). What’s the deal? Just another hustle?

Chuck them out with a knowing smile. All it probably is is dried/dehydrated beets crushed to a powder so each capsule holds less than a teaspoon of actual beet.
VeggieSue

Return to The Lounge