How I work on my cravings

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How I work on my cravings

Postby gracezw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 am

Denverguy, Thank you for bringing up the very important topic of cravings here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60557

If the compliance is 95% of the time, that is pretty good. If it is three meals a day, for a week it is 21 meals. 5% deviance is only about one meal in a week. I understand for a beginner, both holidays and travelling are rough. Life is not just about eating this WOE; there are other important components too, including socializing. Eating crap to get high legally is part of the social norms. Not everyone is born an outlier.

I do know a friend who has no cravings, and I am jealous of him. I converted him to this WOE a few months ago. He has been doing well.

Overcoming cravings is my lifelong practice. For me, cravings can only be reduced, but are impossible to eliminate.

For me, the higher temperature in cooking, the more oil, salt and sugar added, the stronger and more intense the flavors are, the stronger the cravings are.

What reduces the cravings for me: time in practice. The longer I practice this WOE, the stronger I am. The longer I stay away from the addicting food items, the stronger I am also.

I used to have super strong cravings for oil and salt. Overtime cravings for oil is almost gone. It was easier to remove most of the oil --- stopping eating at restaurants, stopping buying oil-added outside food. It then became harder and took longer for me to stop using oil for cooking at home.

Reducing salt was much harder and took me much longer. Now I have nailed it. I know how much I eat it on an average day. I label how much added sodium, the first day I start with it, and the last day I end it.

I started to seriously practice MWL last year, really watching my weight for excellent heart health. So there are cravings for a lot of higher calorie McDougall starchy food items to work with. Inspired by JeffN, I have also started to journal everyday what I eat, how many grams, the triggers, and all the feelings involved. It was tedious and time consuming at the beginning. Now as the patterns repeat themselves, it is much faster, and I feel well-grounded. With the data in the journal, I can study my own cravings.

Not long ago, when I was in an addicted mode, I was thinking, how I wish I could eat nuts and seeds all day and nonstop! Eventually that passed, mostly. Then I got addicted to plain tofu, and was thinking the same, how I wish I could that all day long, nonstop! Later it changed to Chinese waxy corn (kernel 1.3 cal/g), which has a higher calorie density than regular sweet corn(kernel 0.86 cal/g), then to brown Basmati rice of 1.19cal/g, and to sweet potatoes of 0.86 cal/g.

The best way for my eating is to always eat greens or non-starchy veggies, along side with starchy plants. For example, when I eat 200g of sweet potatoes, I also eat 200g of greens or non-starchy veggies, together at the same time. I now eat lower calorie density starchy food items such as lotus roots of about 0.66 cal/g, Chinese/Japanese mountain yam of about 0.65 cal/g (I love its slimy, slippery, tender, soft quality when it is lightly steamed or microwaved).

Planning, reading books on overcoming cravings, getting spiritual has been a big help for me too!

Jim, you are totally right when you say about being under the right circumstances and being few and far between. We are not perfect. We make friends with ourselves, being gentle, patient and kind.

Viv, I understand that feeling. Even though I didn’t like certain commercial food items that much, I would have to eat it, and another one, if I am weak and do not practice enough resistance and discipline.
gracezw

Re: How I work on my cravings

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:45 am

gracezw wrote:Overcoming cravings is my lifelong practice. For me, cravings can only be reduced, but are impossible to eliminate.

Thank you for your comments. I get so frustrated with cravings. I'm much better at not giving in to them but the feeling of wanting something rich and creamy to eat comes up a lot for me.
moonlight

Postby Grammy Ginger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 am

I guess I'm lucky in a way. Everything I used to crave makes me ill. Dairy, nuts, and oil give me acne and intestinal issues. Sugar also gives me acne. Wheat puts a painful tourniquet on my intestines and causes intense joint pain. Soy swells my face, neck, and stomach until I cannot breathe. Avocado makes me vomit and then progresses the same as dairy. Dried fruit makes my teeth hurt. I miss bread and flour tortillas the most but have never liked flesh. Imbibing dead beings has always turned my stomach.

I don't consider enjoying natural whole foods addiction. We are designed to enjoy food so that we don't perish. I love beans, brown rice, oats in any form, fruit, and amazingly enough nearly every vegetable on the planet. I eat a little salt and maple syrup as Dr. M suggests. They enhance my meals but aren't the star. It was a journey to get here, but it's a very happy place.

It is possible to overeat whole natural foods, sooooooo I always remember Jeff's humorous quip. Cut the CRAP and get a life. When I want something I know isn't good for me or too much of a good thing, I get away from food places and do something productive and joyful. I don't go to the breakroom and watch others imbibe poison. Instead, I keep busy or stretch out in the locker room. At home, I watercolor, garden, play with my dogs, bike, dance, walk/hike, solve the world's problems with my DH, call my mom, and write letters. It's all about taking control of your life and not letting an inanimate object control you.

May you have the strength to overcome your health hurdles.
Grammy Ginger

Postby gracezw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 am

Grammy Ginger, thank you for you're your responses! I wanted to follow up with you earlier, but yesterday the whold day I communicated with family and friends in China about the coronavirus outbreak.

Yes, you are very lucky! I wish my body were as sensitive as yours being able to give me all the negative feedback and to help me better fight against my cravings.

I heard you say that you don’t consider enjoying natural whole foods addiction. I just quite often found it difficult to stop at only three meals a day. I probably enjoyed whole plants too much. I consider that part as an addiction.

What is the difference between an addiction and overeating? I view them the same or similar.

I have been trying to redirect the extra energy on eating to other non-food related things. For example, everyday doing track workouts, watching high school students train for their games, and saying hi to other friendly community members doing their track workouts are very nice. It is a journey. It takes real effort. I am doing better than before. And it will be a lifelong practice for me.
gracezw

Return to The Lounge