Wendy's Mini Diet

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wendy's Mini Diet

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:38 pm

I was running around today trying to take care of some last minute errands before leaving for the 5 Day Program early tomorrow morning, when I decided to stop in at Wendy's and get a baked potato. I was starving. And, being I was so hungry, I decided to order 2 Baked Potatoes and 2 Side Salads. It cost me only 5.50 with tax.

While I was sitting there eating it, I was thinking about some of the recent conversations here and elsewhere and about how "easy" and "simple" this would be if this was all I ate. It would almost be like a Mary's Mini but with all the food coming from Wendy's.

So it would be a Wendy's Mini (sorry Mary!) :)

So, I wondered how adequate it would be and so I went and got the nutrition info from the counter and then went home and converted their basic nutrition info into the Cron-O-Meter as accurately as I could.

The 2 potatoes and the 2 side salads were 610 calories. So, if this was all I was going to eat, I would need to eat about 3 of the meals I had just consumed and that is what I entered into the CRON-O-Meter for the analysis. While not very cheap, it would only cost me around 16.56. BTW ,my meal was cheaper than anyone else's I saw ordering in the line I was in.

So,...

- 6 Wendy's Baked Potato's and
- 6 Side Salads

yielded the following results.

Nutrition Summary for November 11, 2008
Report generated by CRON-o-Meter v0.9.3

Energy, 1836.0
Protein, 54.4 g
Fiber, 53.4g
Fat, 4.1 g

Vitamins
Vitamin A, 19337.4 IU 645% 
Folate, 791.8 µg 198% 
B1 (Thiamine), 1.6 mg 135% 
B2 (Riboflavin), 1.2 mg 91% 
B3 (Niacin), 27.3  mg 171% 
B5 (Pantothenic Acid), 8.1 mg 162% 
B6 (Pyridoxine), 6.1 mg 466% 
Vitamin C, 228.4 mg 254% 
Vitamin E, 3.5 mg 23% 
Vitamin K, 296.8 µg 247% 

Minerals
Calcium, 486.4  mg 49% 
Copper, 2.4 mg 272% 
Iron, 23.7 mg 296% 
Magnesium, 593.1 mg 141% 
Manganese, 5.3 mg 231% 
Phosphorus, 1492.3 mg 213% 
Potassium, 11343.3 mg 241% 
Selenium, 8.4  µg 15% 
Zinc, 8.3 mg 76% 

Lipids
Saturated, 0.9 g
Omega-3, 0.7 g
Omega-6, 1.2 g
Cholesterol, 0.0 mg

Wow. Not bad at all. I have to admit, even I was a little surprised at how adequate this is. It easily surpasses most all vitamins and minerals including protein, and has more Omega 3 than the recommended minimum with a 6/3 ratio of less than 2/1.

Calcium was a little low but within acceptable range based on worldwide intakes. The only other ones were Vit E, Selenium and Zinc, all of which I have discussed in other threads. Considering these prior discussions, the Zinc and Vit E are not far off at all, which leaves only the selenium, which if we wanted to make this "perfect by the numbers" we could easily fix. We just had a discussion on foods that were highest in Zinc and Selenium per calories. And, remember, all recommended numbers are for averages over time, and this is just one day.

Most important, remember, this whole diet was based on "white" potatoes and "iceberg" lettuce, 2 foods that are said to be "worthless." :)

So... while am not recommending this as an ideal or optimal diet, or one that should be followed day in and day out over time.....

.... Watch out Mary, Wendy's the new girl in town!! :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Wendys

Postby landog » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Yes - I have been frequenting Wendys as of late. I stop there on my way from work to school. I find that two baked potatoes get me through my evening class. I can stream some green leafy things to eat later when I get home after school.

Hooray for Wendys baked potatoes!

Yesterday, however, I was not able to make it to Wendys as I had another errand to run. I made it to school with enough time to eat something - so I checked out the cafeteria. I didn't have much hope though - there is usually nothing for me there.

I was in luck! They had a "baked potato bar." I got two plain baked potatoes - confounding the cashier who didn't know how to charge me as everyone else loaded them up with other stuff. I suggested half price - :-D - and she went along with it!

The baked potatoes were in foil. When I unwrapped the foil I was agast :shock: to find tarces of oil on the inside of the wrappers! Why would they think that they need to brush the potato skins with oil?? - aauugghh...

Sometimes you just can't win.

But, yeah, Wendys is a winner. Thanks for that post, Jeff!

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby oyvey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks Jeff, this is really great information!
Now if I am at work and need a quick lunch I know what to get.
Cyndi
oyvey

Jeff, anything on the potato?

Postby fiddler3 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 am

Jeff,

Did you put anything on the potato?

fiddler3
fiddler3

Re: Jeff, anything on the potato?

Postby JeffN » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 am

fiddler3 wrote:Jeff,

Did you put anything on the potato?

fiddler3

I sprinkles some black pepper on it, but usually I will eat it plain as I love the taste of plain baked potatoes. They also have salsa, mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and hot sauce for those who like to use those.

On my salad, I put balsamic vinegar (which I had in my backpack). They also have lemon juice and a fat-free dressing available. It is high in sugar, so go easy on it, if used.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby somnolent » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I went to Wendy's today for the first time and got a potato...mmmm. I spend a lot of time on the road and it is good to know about this healthy option. Thanks!
somnolent

Postby Joe927 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Sometimes a potato is just a potato.
Joe927

Postby landog » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Joe927 wrote:Sometimes a potato is just a potato.

Thank God for potatoes.

Thank you Jeff - much appreciated.
landog

Re: Wendy's Mini Diet

Postby chewy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:24 pm

i loved this wendy's mini post by jeff novick
chewy

Re: Wendy's Mini Diet

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:10 am

What Really Makes Wendy's Baked Potatoes So Delicious

It's hard to believe that the restaurant's baked potato has only been served since 1983 (via Wendy's). But with roughly one million Wendy's baked potatoes sold weekly as of 2017, according to Thrillist, it's clear that the baked spuds are very popular. But what, precisely, makes it such a delightful, dependable, and beloved fast food staple? If you're wondering why and how this starchy spud has endured for nearly four decades, keep reading. Here's what really makes Wendy's baked potatoes so delicious.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/1102616/wh ... delicious/
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD