What is less harm for cholesterol?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What is less harm for cholesterol?

Postby ulialen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 am

At my work they serve white rice and brown rice.
I usually take brown rice.
I have discovered now that they put a little of olive oil to prevent to the grains to attach one to each other. However very very little oil because it is not visible even if you see very carefully. I have understood that there is oil because brown rice was very much taster and good than the one that i make at home, even better than the white rice and so i have asked to the chef.
My question is this:
what make cholesterol less raise up, white rice without oil or brown rice with very very little of oil?
I am forced to choose one of them.
My suspect is that even with oil brown rice is better because at august i was forced to eat brown rice (they didnt serve brown rice in august) and my cholesterol raise up. However i am not sure that it was due to that ot to other nutrition changes.
ulialen

Re: What is less harm for cholesterol?

Postby plants-and-carbs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 am

I am quite sure the answer is that you would be better off with the white rice for cholesterol control. I've never heard Mcdougall make a big deal over white rice being such an issue but I have heard Mcdougall and dr Esselstyn say bad things about even small amounts of oil. The only real advantage with brown rice is that it has just a tiny bit more nutritional value but if you pair up the white rice with good quality vegetables, it will be sufficient nutrition to be healthy.

So, yes, brown rice is a little better, when it's oil free, but if you have to eat white rice, it's not a huge deal, just have it with vegetables. However, if I was being super strict about my cholesterol, I would eat the pure, oil free white rice over brown rice with some oil.
plants-and-carbs

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 am

I side with the white rice and against the oil.

But I am biased, since I Like White Rice And I Cannot Lie :D
vgpedlr

Postby ulialen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 am

I, also, prefer very very much white rice.
However with the aim to lower cholesterol, i have to eat brown rice.
I eat very much vegetables so nutrient is not a problem for me but:
Brown rice is a whole grain, white rice no.
Brown rice have fiber, white rice no.
The problem is the oil.

In august when i eat only white rice (before i ate that brown rice with the small quantity of oil), my cholesterol went up.
Maybe the reason is another. maybe it is due to the bread that i have again to eat. So not easy to say.

Also in the one mount in which i had the least value of cholesterol (176), i have eaten sometimes with oil (because for work i had to eat out of home, always vegetables that they served them with oil).
However cholesterol oscillates so also this information is not very useful to choose between white or brown rice.

I also have very sensitive cholesterol. What dont make anithing to other people or very little, make very big effect on my cholesterol.
ulialen

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 pm

If I really don't have time to microwave my own creamy buckwheat or steel cut oats or quinoa in the office pantry microwave, and have to make a very difficult choice about rice, I would choose white rice without oil and will increase the fiber by mixing in my wheat bran that I keep in the pantry freezer and will also add in 1 tablespoon of twinlab yeast, 1 teaspoon of organic triphala powder. and 1 teaspoon of lemon peel powder. If I want curry rice, I have in my cubicle drawer onion, turmeric, black pepper, ginger and garlic. If I want pumpkin spice rice, I also have cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
colonyofcells

Postby plants-and-carbs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 pm

colonyofcells wrote:If I really don't have time to microwave my own creamy buckwheat or steel cut oats or quinoa in the office pantry microwave, and have to make a very difficult choice about rice, I would choose white rice without oil and will increase the fiber by mixing in my wheat bran that I keep in the pantry freezer and will also add in 1 tablespoon of twinlab yeast, 1 teaspoon of organic triphala powder. and 1 teaspoon of lemon peel powder. If I want curry rice, I have in my cubicle drawer onion, turmeric, black pepper, ginger and garlic. If I want pumpkin spice rice, I also have cinnamon, cloves and ginger.

Wow!! You sure are creative and resourceful! I am impressed. :-D
plants-and-carbs

Postby VegMommy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:12 pm

ulialen wrote:My suspect is that even with oil brown rice is better because at august i was forced to eat brown rice (they didnt serve brown rice in august) and my cholesterol raise up.

Just to be clear...did you mean to say "I was forced to eat white rice"? Because the way it's written it doesn't make sense.
VegMommy

Postby ulialen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:08 am

VegMommy wrote:
ulialen wrote:My suspect is that even with oil brown rice is better because at august i was forced to eat brown rice (they didnt serve brown rice in august) and my cholesterol raise up.

Just to be clear...did you mean to say "I was forced to eat white rice"? Because the way it's written it doesn't make sense.

Yes. I was forced to eat white rice.
ulialen

Postby ulialen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 am

Today i have asked to the chef. They put oil also in the white rice.
So i can eat brown rice.
However they say that they put one tablespoon of oil every 7Kg of rice. So in 100g of rice there are 0.3g of oil. I think that it is an acceptable quantity: saturated fat are not affected.
ulialen

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:51 am

ulialen wrote:Today i have asked to the chef. They put oil also in the white rice.
So i can eat brown rice.
However they say that they put one tablespoon of oil every 7Kg of rice. So in 100g of rice there are 0.3g of oil. I think that it is an acceptable quantity: saturated fat are not affected.

Rice has no cholesterol in it. So I fail to see how it can cause your cholesterol levels to go up? What am I missing here?
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby ulialen » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:13 am

Werner1950 wrote:
ulialen wrote:Today i have asked to the chef. They put oil also in the white rice.
So i can eat brown rice.

Rice has no cholesterol in it. So I fail to see how it can cause your cholesterol levels to go up? What am I missing here?

You are missing first of all saturated fat that are the biggest cause of the raise of cholesterol. Then you are missing fiber that are very effective in lower cholesterol. Then there is the wholeness of the grain: elaborated or refined food can have a raise up cholesterol effect if compared with untouched and unrefined food.
Then there is also the cholesterol that is inside the food (as you have written) that cause the raise up of blood cholesterol.
ulialen

Postby MikeInFL » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 am

White rice is very refined and that causes inflammation which causes cholesterol. Oil is also refined and does the same. Both are bad. If the only choice is one or the other then eat the one with the less refinement. In this case it's probably the brown rice with small oil, if it really is a small amount. Every bite of white rice is refined.

However, as someone pointed out if you eat veggies with white rice it reduces the harmful effect of refinement. Same with brown rice with oil.
MikeInFL

Postby hvacigar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

When you are talking about this amount of olive oil, and rice, I would like an honest, educated opinion on exactly how much this will affect cholesterol. This seems to be an awful lot of discussion for what might amount to insignificant changes in fasting cholesterol numbers. It might make a difference in peak cholesterol, so if that is what you are concerned about, then my apologies, but I am not sure anyone is talking about peak cholesterol when they have conversations about cholesterol. With both the rice and olive oil, you are taking in what is considered 0 mg of choelsterol (there is some, but it is very very small). All we are talking about here is how the body increases or decreases its production of cholesterol in the presence of the saturated fat in very small percentage of oil per mass of rice. According to the Cronometer, the numbers touted above (1tbsp of oil per 7 kg white rice) you would be getting a boost to the caloric intake from the oil of 1% of the total caloric intake (119 calories for oil versus 9100 calories for the rice). Even Dr. Fuhrman would have a hard time arguing those numbers. With this mixture, the rice is actually bringing 2 times the amount of saturated fat the oil is bringing, which again, is very small.
WFPB since 1/15/2013
I DO NOT smoke cigars, but I LOVE Pink Floyd :-)
hvacigar

Postby nonstoppete » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:29 am

I find it hard to believe that they measure out 1 TSP of oil for 7 Kg of rice. If I were in this situation, the bigger concern would be eating there on a daily basis and getting a regular dose of oil. Oily food has a prolonged effect as measured by the brachial artery test.
nonstoppete

Postby parishmp » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Don't sweat the small stuff and I would consider this issue one of those.
parishmp

Next

Return to The Lounge