Paleo/Primal promoters finally get the "Starch Solution"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Paleo/Primal promoters finally get the "Starch Solution"

Postby JillinMI » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Even though I don't agree with a paleo/primal diet being healthy (the meat and fat part) I frequently look at a blog by major paleo promoter, Mark Sisson, because he has a lot of great ideas on other aspects of healthy living. In his post today (Dec 9, 2012) he provided a link to another paleo blogger who is now singing the praises of almost fat-free potato meals.

Below is the link to paleo blogger Richard Nokoley's "Free The Animal" web page on his potato meals.

http://freetheanimal.com/2012/11/the-ha ... -loss.html

Dr. McDougall, perhaps you should send him a copy of "The Starch Solution."
JillinMI

Re: Paleo/Primal promoters finally get the "Starch Solution"

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:10 pm

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby VegMommy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 am

JillinMI wrote:

A commenter on his site mentioned Dr. McDougall recently. His reply was that Dr. McDougall is "a f***ing liar." When asked what the lie was, he replied - (I added the asterisks to clean it up a little) -

That humans evolved on and their primary diet is starch. Utter lying b******t and all you need to do is look at a map of human migration since out of Africa.

He has an agenda and that is number one. I see Paleos adopting starch as part of the diet all over the place and this has taken place over mere years and months.

But they are vegans. By definition, they must continue to be dishonest, filthy liars and as far as I’m concerned they can all eat sh*t and die.

Nice. :roll:
VegMommy

Postby rickfm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:22 pm

That humans evolved on and their primary diet is starch. Utter lying b******t and all you need to do is look at a map of human migration since out of Africa.

He has an agenda and that is number one. I see Paleos adopting starch as part of the diet all over the place and this has taken place over mere years and months.

But they are vegans. By definition, they must continue to be dishonest, filthy liars and as far as I’m concerned they can all eat sh*t and die.

Caveman mentality to go along with his caveman diet.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Waingapu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm

JillinMI wrote:Below is the link to paleo blogger Richard Nokoley's "Free The Animal" web page on his potato meals.

http://freetheanimal.com/2012/11/the-ha ... -loss.html

Long but funny thread on that link.
It appears they are in turmoil as several of them are suddenly finding themselves losing weight on just potatoes.

Worse yet a few are describing how good they are feeling while doing so. One guy wants to go out and run, having so much extra energy.

Goodness, they'd better watch out or they be booted out of the Paleo crowd as heritics.
Waingapu

Postby Debbie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:08 pm

VegMommy wrote:
JillinMI wrote:

A commenter on his site mentioned Dr. McDougall recently. His reply was that Dr. McDougall is "a f***ing liar." When asked what the lie was, he replied - (I added the asterisks to clean it up a little) -

I wonder what Dr. McDougall's agenda is? :roll:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby VegMommy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Debbie wrote:
VegMommy wrote:
JillinMI wrote:

I'm guessing it's a vegan agenda.
VegMommy

Postby Donna R » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:15 pm

re this
"But they are vegans. By definition, they must continue to be dishonest, filthy liars and as far as I’m concerned they can all eat sh*t and die."

THEY are the ones eating s******! :lol:
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby VegMommy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Donna R wrote:re this
"But they are vegans. By definition, they must continue to be dishonest, filthy liars and as far as I’m concerned they can all eat sh*t and die."

THEY are the ones eating s******! :lol:

Well at least I know that nothing I eat ever sh*ts! :D
VegMommy

Postby Debbie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 pm

VegMommy wrote:
Debbie wrote:
VegMommy wrote:

I'm guessing it's a vegan agenda.

Aw, but youre wrong. Dr. McDougall does not call this way of eating a vegan diet. To call this way of eating a vegan diet comes into the conversation an agenda. While he has talked about animal issues in relation to this way eating he has never called the plan a vegan one. Just as he has talked about environmental issues and how this way of eating helps, he doesnt call this the tree huggers diet.

His agenda plain and simple is health, and helping people attain it.

Im curious though, how come you only said "nice" with regards to the nasty display above and didnt go all out and defend Dr. McDougall much as you have done with the low carb/paleo guys in other threads? "Nice" isnt what I would have said; even with this symbol :roll: . You are very upset with people on this forum saying the low carb/paleo guys are lying, which I havent actually found this text. Did you go onto this guys site and defend Dr. M? Im kinda confused :duh:

*I had to remove the quoted text box and make it red. Only allowed 3 quote blocks.
Debbie

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 pm

I think the guy who writes the blog had a misunderstanding about Dr. McDougall as he corrected himself in the comments.

I do not think this guy will ever go no-meat, even though it seems to give him heartburn, I do think he sees that carbs are not the enemy.

I see no reason to attempt to defend this WOE and would not want to attempt to ever speak for Dr McDougall. I see too many people on this board misrepresent what has been written. The best thing to do is let the articles and books do the talking.

I do not consider myself a Vegan. I think that title is damaged. Whole food, plant based seems to work for me without being offensive. I think some of the Paleo/Primal inclined eaters would welcome a whole food, non-processed way of eating. Most meat and dairy could be considered processed, so this WOE and it's feasts are very much inline with what they are searching for.

I really like this article - http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/nyr.htm

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Waingapu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:32 pm

JohnLarson wrote:I
I think some of the Paleo/Primal inclined eaters would welcome a whole food, non-processed way of eating. Most meat and dairy could be considered processed, so this WOE and it's feasts are very much inline with what they are searching for.

Agree, and most important is to not make them feel like they have to leap from one end of the spectrum to the other, all in some giant transformation.

I often tell folks to begin by just exploring and eating more types of vegetables. Saying you don't need to cut out anything, just start eating more veggies and allow them to take over the plate while they very slowly reduce their portions of meat or the like.
An amazing change can happen in a year and NO ONE is against more veggies. Then perhaps yams as a orange veggie... taking ever more of the plate.
They can slowly see how they feel and how their health and weight proceeds.

I know, on vacation in the mountains, at those icey cold Sierra lakes and rivers, not everyone likes to jump in all at once. Some like to wade in slowly. Same with diet. Not everyone likes to take a leap to "perfection".
A gradual change over 2 or 3 years is just perfect for a good portion of people. Allowing new tastes to develope.
This, to encourage the "other" 95% of the population to join in.
Much less scary.
Heck, not everyone likes to elope after the first date. Too many of those end up in divorce soon afterwards.
Waingapu

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 am

JohnLarson wrote:I see no reason to attempt to defend this WOE and would not want to attempt to ever speak for Dr McDougall.

I also see no reason to defend this way of eating and certainly Dr. McDougall can defend himself.

My only point was, VegMommy defends all the low carb/paleo guys as if we here are the bad guys for calling them out and yet the guy in this blog called Dr. M an effing liar, along with vegans, and yet her only response was "nice :roll: ". That should kind of bother us.
Debbie

Postby rickfm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am

Debbie wrote:...and yet her only response was "nice :roll: ". That should kind of bother us.

M'eh... I caught the cynicism in that response. Maybe because that was one of my ex-wife's favorite ways of dismissing something she found distasteful. :roll:
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 am

I took it the same way Rick did - a sarcastic "Nice" and not a *nice* "nice." The eyeroll is what conveyed the real meaning of the word. Wait until your kids become teens, Debbie - you'll hear that a lot then. LOL
VeggieSue

Next

Return to The Lounge