Reaction to All Grains?

Post gluten-free topics here. Read McDougall's thoughts in his Sept. 2005 newsletter: Could It Be Celiac Disease?

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve

Reaction to All Grains?

Postby MDraine » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 am

I seem to become extremely itchy when eating any grains, beginning with the nose and spreading to the rest of the face and body if I continue eating them. I have also had reactions ranging from clogged sinuses to intense exhaustion and very vivid dreams/half-asleep during the day vivid daydreams. Has anyone experienced something similar when being glutened or returning to consuming gluten/grain products after a certain period of time? Or is this perhaps an allergy or something worse?

Some of my worst reactions come from buckwheat, oats (even gluten-free), and of course gluten products. Rice seems to be unique in generating ridiculously painful headaches.

Thank you!
MDraine

Re: Reaction to All Grains?

Postby Burgess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 am

I eat no grains. Avoiding them helped me get rid of all my inflammation problems: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ation.html

No one on the McDougall Program is required to eat grains.

For my particular problems, here is what I eat now (a low sulphur diet): http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2010/ ... i-eat.html
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby bluefizzure » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:43 pm

MDraine, I have much of the same issues as you. I do not have problems when I eat white rice (jasmine). What type of rice do you eat that gives you problems? I ask because brown rice gives me reactions.

Good luck!
bluefizzure

Postby MDraine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:14 pm

bluefizzure wrote:MDraine, I have much of the same issues as you. I do not have problems when I eat white rice (jasmine). What type of rice do you eat that gives you problems? I ask because brown rice gives me reactions.

Good luck!

I've tried both long grain brown rice and long grain white rice. Perhaps I'll try Jasmine, if this gives you a different reaction from regular white rice? :) I haven't noticed a difference between the two rices, but then I haven't kept all other variables (such as amounts eaten at one time) constant, either!

I'm glad to hear that I don't have to eat grains at all on this diet, but it's still odd that I can't...so I'm a bit worried. Thank you, all.
MDraine

Postby goldilocks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:58 pm

I've been eating a lot of rice and gluten-free oats while testing other foods. At first I was doing well on those starches, but during the past month I've been experiencing inflammation again. So I cut out the oats and rice and turned to sweet potatoes and winter squash - and just this weekend some taro root for the first time - and the inflammation faded away in a few days. Then when I added rice back in for lunch and dinner on Saturday, I woke up Sunday with inflammation back in my body again. Now (Monday evening), it's fading away again - not completely gone yet, but it seems to be on the way out in reaction to not having rice (or other grains) since dinner on Saturday.

So I have different symptoms than you do, but I'm finding that I'm having trouble with brown rice at least. It remains to be seen whether white rice and other grains will also cause problems for me.

Sigh. There goes another food. And I just stocked up and bought a big 25 pound bag of Lundberg organic brown rice.
goldilocks

Postby bluefizzure » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:54 am

Interesting. I cut out gluten and still was having issues mentioned with oats (gluten free), and brown rice. I did the Fail Safe Diet awhile back and for starches you were limited to potatoes (need to peel the russets) and sushi rice (white). I did GREAT on potatoes and sushi rice. Those are the only starches I can eat without issues. Also just white/jasmine.
bluefizzure

Postby Love » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah, I've even had to give up quinoa, even after soaking, sprouting and rinsing it incredibly well, I get a stomach ache from the saponin. I do okay with corn if it's sprouted, but those tortillas are expensive and I'm a little dubious eating too much of anything if it needs to be sprouted for me to digest it well, but they are wonderful for special occasions. Rice and gluten makes me feel achy and irritable, an inflammation response. Millet is lovely, but I'm hypothyroid and isn't it on the goitergenic lists? I'd still eat it once in awhile, maybe every two weeks. I think I do well with buckwheat and wild rice. So, yeah, I can identify with you! sigh..........rice would be such a great staple!
Love

Return to Gluten-free Issues