Jenni's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Jenni's Journal

Postby Silver » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Waiting for you to come back strong. I know you will!
Silver

Postby jsl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Soon. I will be back within a week. I have relatives leaving on Wednesday, and I should be done with the leftovers and junk by then. So I WILL be back!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby jsl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Day #1 - Jan 1

OK, I debated starting a new journal, but decided to stick with this one...

It's a new year and it's time to get serious! I updated my ticker, and I gained 2 pounds in December. So since I started at the end of October, I've lost a whole 3 pounds. I can do better than that!

Cleared out the house of all the junk food from Christmas, and drank my last diet coke this morning. No more. I made oatmeal for breakfast, and was going to have leftovers for tomorrow, and two days of work....nope, my kids ate lots...

I've been sick the last couple of days, but feeling a little better today. My plan is to make a menu and go grocery shopping, either today or tomorrow.

I ordered some DVD's - Jeff Novicks, the pleasure trap, McDougall combo...I can't wait till those come in so I can watch them, and remain inspired! Here's to a new, healthy, smaller me!!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby sksamboots » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Your here, that's all that matters. Let's do it :nod:
sksamboots

Postby jsl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks, Boots!

So today - oatmeal for breakfast/lunch (about 12:30).
No movie food at the theater...
Out to eat - had a house salad (ate a few croutons), and dressing...plus a baked potato with no butter or toppings. Plus 1 bite of an onion ring and 1 french fry.

Not shabby...considering I was the only one leaving the restaurant not stuffed and sluggish...I feel full but not overly so - it's a good feeling. Plus I had water, not coke....

It's been a good first day! Here's to another one tomorrow!

And then I was starving later so I had some veggie soup...
Last edited by jsl on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jenni

jsl

Postby Silver » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Good to see you back Jenni. What a great gift to yourself - those DVD's. I had a week of slip-ups and gained back more than you did (3.6 pounds). Time to get serious, right?!
Silver

Postby jsl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:49 am

Day 2 - Jan 2

I haven't gotten the DVD's yet - can't wait! Hopefully they show up in the mail this week...

Oatmeal for breakfast again...made a huge pot, DH and kids devoured most of it, but I managed to save 2 servings for work this week.

And then I noticed the 2 loaf pans on the fridge..what? I didn't bake anything - did a neighbor drop something by? Next observation is that the overripe bananas are gone...conclusion - DH made banana nut bread. Now, I LOVE banana nut bread. I asked him, when he got up, if it was oil free and vegan - he looked at me like I was nuts! So, I have not had any...he and the boys had some huge slices, but there's still a loaf and a half left. He did tell me if I came up with a vegan recipe he'd make that next time we had overripe bananas at 2 am...but in the mean time, I could have just a little slice, it wouldn't count...I told him one little slice would turn into the whole pan. Wow. Testing my resolve big time on day #2...already. Here's hoping I stay strong!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby jsl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Menu planning for the week - check.
Grocery shopping - check.
Veggies cleaned, cut up, bagged - check.
Salads portioned for 2 days - check.
Dinner in the crock pot - check.
Water in bottles for tomorrow - check.

I think I'm set for the next couple of days!! I'm taking a loaf of the banana bread to work tomorrow, hope it disappears fast. I still haven't had any. But I did have 2 bites of the last of the pumpkin pie.

Dinner tonight will be split pea soup and salad - one of my new year's goals is to instill a love of veggies into my kids...wish me luck. So I got some shredded cheese and Ranch dressing...I know, I know...it's not for me - it's to get them to eat it. Even drenched in bad stuff will be a step towards liking salad! And for a stubborn 10 year old, that's a lot. Of course, I got the lite Ranch (still has 7g fat, better than 14 per serving)...and DH insists I should have just gotten the full-fat good stuff. I love my men, but really, must they be so difficult?
-Jenni

jsl

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Impressed by the planning! Good luck with the kid-thing. I never did have much luck when mine were kids getting them to eat healthy, but something must have rubbed off. I have one McDougaller (she came to it on her own - having grown up with the books in the house and meals that I made) and one vegetarian. We're hoping one of these days to convert the vegetarian. :) Or as my husband would say, the cheese-i-tarian.
Silver

Postby jsl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Day #4 - Jan 4

So yesterday was horrible, got so sick at work, ended up in ER with 4 liters of fluid, and every imaginable test. Glad to report all my lab work is normal, CT of abdomen is normal, CT and MRI of head is normal. I was nauseated and having really bad vertigo - they were trying to find a cause for it - hence the brain studies. But, I'm all normal, so chalk it up to a bad stomach virus.

Ate a banana and oatmeal yesterday morning, nothing else all day.

Today had a granola bar at 3 am when I came home from ER. Slept till 4 pm. Had 3 granola bars, 2 Graham crackers, a frappacino (dh wanted me to have some calories, so he got it for me!). And having black bean soup for dinner. Still not feeling perfect. Hope tomorrow is better,

My kids did eat the salad Sunday night, but were not happy about it!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby sksamboots » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Scary stuff Jenni!!! Hope your feeling better.

As for salad dressing and your children--have you tried the 3,2,1 dressing with them. They might love it..They just might. 3 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of mustard, 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Mix and serve.

Have a good one and get some rest :nod: :nod:
sksamboots

Postby jsl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks, boots...I'm still not feeling normal. Back to bed for me!

Day #5 - Jan 5

I did get the DVD's I ordered and watched the Pleasure Trap last night. Very well articulated, and good information. I plan to watch the others today and tomorrow.

No breakfast, went out for lunch and picked at my food. 2 bites of enchilada, some rice, a few bites of lettuce. Still nauseated and dizzy. Uggh. It needs to get better!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby lunaboyd » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Jenni,

I posted some info in my journal about what the GoWear Fit is - didn't want to clutter yours up with all the pictures. It's pretty nifty and good motivation to keep exercising. I have the display you can order with it (I wear it as a watch) and it beeps every time I hit one of my daily targets. I find myself checking it often, thinking "if I just do x more minutes/steps/calories, it'll beep!" Silly but it works.

Sorry you are so sick. Sounds kind of scary. Hope you feel much better soon!

Edit: I think I was posting this while you were posting in my journal. Here's the link to buy them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/GoWear-Lifestyle- ... 077&sr=8-1. They sometimes have them on sale and I think Costco carries these now too - might be less expensive there.

Not cheap, but I think it was well worth the money. There is a monthly fee too (under $7.)
lunaboyd

Postby jsl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 am

Day #6 - Jan 6

It's my little guy's birthday - he's 7 today...wow, my baby is no longer a baby!

Had spinach/potato curry for dinner last night, with a little nan and soy yogurt raita...it wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was on the menu, so we made it, and it was good and filling. Haven't had any food yet today. I need to, I just haven't been able to motivate myself to get up and go make some...

We're headed out to dinner for his birthday (no telling where he wants to go!) and then have a little cake for him. I'm trying to decide if I'm not going to have any, or just a little slice...

Feeling a little better today - I hope I can go to work tomorrow.

Luna, thanks for the info and the link. It sounds intriguing...
-Jenni

jsl

Postby jsl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Oh, man, my head hurts...sugar rush...and caffeine. Someone shoot me now, please!

Went to lunch at Jason's Deli, had one of their 1/2 size plain potatoes (literally nothing on it) and a salad. Plus some diet coke (1st in a week). Dinner was Golden Corral - my 7 year old's choice for his birthday dinner. I tried to pick and choose - wound up with a salad, cantaloupe, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, a sweet potato plain. 2 bites of fudge. More diet pepsi.

Came home, he opened presents, then had cake. DH had gotten a very small one, so we cut it in quarters...no leftovers at least. I love frosting, but it was TOO sweet, so I didn't eat it. Had a little cake...but wow, my head hurts now.

I'm drinking tons of water before bed to try and flush everything out.

I thought I did good eating out twice today, but that cake. If the scale is up tomorrow, and I'm sure it will be, I know why. But what can I say, he only turns 7 once!

Hopefully I can sleep tonight, and back to work tomorrow. I guess I need to go get stuff ready to pack for lunch, and water and such.

Tomorrow's gonna be a good day, no matter what the scale says. I refuse to let it derail me :)
-Jenni

jsl

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals