Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Ege Bamyasi wrote:I sooooooo desperately need a cheap but dependable vehicle to be able to take her to work and pick her up with, and to use for weekly shopping trips. Vegas' public transit is now so overburdened due to the collapsing ec...

Hey Kirk, in case this isn't something you've already looked into -- there are often local organizations, including public radio stations, that take in used cars as donations and then give them to people in need. I once donated a wonderful little Dodge Colt to such an organization in the Washington DC area. It was a car dealer who felt it was his calling to help others, so he took used cars, fixed them up at his dealership's shop to be "showfloor-ready" and then donated them to people he found through local churches & social services organizations. My little Colt went to a single mom with 2 kids (or so I was told!).

So maybe, if you haven't already done this, you could try calling your local social service organizations, as well as churches/synagogues/mosques/etc. Jeanette's job plus your medical conditions might make you eligible for something, who knows.

Best of luck,
tm
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Been reading your journal from day 1, you inspire

Postby CraftyeLadye » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Kirk,

I am so inspired by your story. You are doing a great job, just take it one day at a time. I started Mcding May 2008 and lost 70 pounds in just 6 short months. Then I started adding nuts and peanut butter and other things that eventually led me back to SAD. I am now back and 22 days into mary's mini and feel better than ever.. But most importantly is that my blood sugar is down from the 300's to the mid 90's in those 22 days.

I know that this works. I love your story and how honest you are. I love how you met your wife and it brought tears to my eyes to read. You are real and wonderful and might I add that you are a very handsome man inside and out. I look forward to reading more of your story and sharing some of mine. By the way I turned 40 on St. Patty's day too, so we are birthday twins, which is so cool. Have a healthy and happy Thanksgiving, we all have so much to be thankful for this year. I will be checking on you.
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Postby desertwind56 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi,I'm pretty new here and have found your journal to be very inspirational. I'm glad to see you posting again. :D

Connie
desertwind56

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Happy Thanksgiving Kirk

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:50 pm

wishing you a happy day tomorrow. We are going to a potluck! I know there are two dishes I can eat there (the ones I bring)

Check with some of the donation cars...I know we donated a car one time...it still ran good, but the computer wasn't working well anymore. That was the car that my daughter learned to drive with...need I say more? I had it 13 years, the air didn't work but it drove.....a 1987 Nissan maxima. Still drove well for me...except for the time my kids left the sunroof not closed and the water drenched me when I drove it home from work in Florida! :D They laughed at me! :D :D :D :D
ncyg46

Postby Letha.. » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Kirk,
Just stopped by to say hi. Sounds like you and Jeanette have a good plan for Thanksgiving dinner. Glad to see you are hanging in there with the McDougall program.
Letha

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby merriweather » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi Kirk, you probably know this already, but thought I'd mention it. Cinnamon helps with blood sugar. At least it does for me.
I mean it helped when I was doing sad and nothing else did. So as you start flying w/o the meds add it in as best you can.
Of course this diet is full of fiber, that helps too.
Keep moving. Even 10 min a day is more than nothing!! Every move helps fight the insulin resistance. You are fighting so hard, it is going to pay off. Well, it is paying off!!
You are one of the people I am thankful for!
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby merriweather » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi Kirk, you probably know this already, but thought I'd mention it. Cinnamon helps with blood sugar. At least it does for me.
I mean it helped when I was doing sad and nothing else did. So as you start flying w/o the meds add it in as best you can.
Of course this diet is full of fiber, that helps too.
Keep moving. Even 10 min a day is more than nothing!! Every move helps fight the insulin resistance. You are fighting so hard, it is going to pay off. Well, it is paying off!!
You are one of the people I am thankful for!
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:13 am

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby merriweather » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:27 am

Ginger in a capsul should be fine. They did a test and found a capsul of ginger did as well, or better than a dose of dramamine for motion sickness. Do not quite know why on that.
But it is supposed to help hands and feet feel warm, due to better circulation.
It's funny, I cannot handle hot peppers. I can do some chili, but not much. Can't do jalepenos. But I can do real hot cinnamon and I can chew on bits of ginger. Each of us has different tastes and tolerences.
Do have fun tomorrow.
Personally I am taking a huge plate of veggies, some 3-2-1 dressing, and some hummas. Love my dil , but she butters Everything.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby raven » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:24 am

Hi Kirk,
Here's wishing you and Jeanette a happy and healthy Thanksgiving, and may next Thanksgiving be even happier and healthier!
Raven
raven

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby merriweather » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:27 pm

I am sooooo sorry to hear this. We have had our plumbing challenges over the years, and they always seem to come on the worst days.
The time we were having both our families to Jims house to be introduced. Sink clogged, turned out the piping had been sort of stuck together, not screwed together. Duh.
Any way you might try a bit of boiled water.
But it really sounds like your problem could be coming from another apt. entirely. What a pain.
I was thinking if you could not get into shoes, try putting on plastic bags over your feet. Then I thought you might slip again, and that you don't need.
Well, something has to get better soon.
To bad you cannot go to the managers apt and use their sink!!
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:46 am

wow you sure had a bad day....Merriweather may be right that it is coming from another apt. sorry your day got messed up. Maybe they will contact you today.... :D
ncyg46

Postby raven » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 pm

What a nightmare! Hope when you get it sorted out, you can have a delayed Thanksgiving!
Raven
raven

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals