Hope someone can give me some insight!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hope someone can give me some insight!

Postby grangran7 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

I've been eating strictly McD for quite awhile now and have had no problems with my acid reflux at all. Last Tuesday, my husband and I were on the road when my chest began hurting really bad with the pain radiating out into my arms and neck. We decided we should get to the hospital which was close and get it checked out. Of course, I've been through bunches of tests and blood draws for all kinds of things with nothing showing up to be a problem with my heart. I've had acid reflux off and on for several years and have been on medication during that time. Am hoping to be able to get off it! What could I be eating that would bring this on? The only spicy thing I've had is a chilimac dish I'd made which was legal and really not too spicy but did have some kick to it. The hospital food for 2 days was McD good - baked potatoes, green beans and cooked carrots, lots of fresh fruit. Hadn't eaten anything like that for 3 or 4 days before this happened. Any ideas about what what could be going on? Any help will be much appreciated!!!!!
grangran7

Insight?

Postby SactoBob » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi Shirley,
I don't know what diagnosis the hospital gave you, but I don't think anybody could provide you with better medical information than the docs that saw you and tested you. It just wouldn't be possible to listen to your symptoms and give you a meaningful "food prescription" on line.

As for the food, the only thing I could say would be to very careful that everything you are eating is on plan. The MWL approach gives the best results if you are trying to turn a medical condition around, and is pretty similar to what Dr. Esselstyn recommends.

Your symptoms could be caused by a number of problems and I'm sure that your docs gave you tests for those. What did they say?
SactoBob

Postby BW » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:58 pm

The hospital said my mother's pain was not her heart. That was a week before she died of a heart attack. I would check it out while I stuck to the McDougall plan 100%.
Good luck.
BW
BW

Postby grangran7 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:14 pm

I should have said I hadn't eaten anything spicy for 3 to 4 days before this happened.

The doctors said it couldn't be my heart. All EKG's were right on and blood tests were good. I wore a heart monitor the entire time I was in the hospital and there was nothing wrong that showed up. I also had an echocardiogram which was clear. In 2005 my heart started beating irratically and was given an echo at that time showing lots of fluid around my heart. Surgery was performed leaving a pericardial window if there was more fluid forming. 1 litre of fluid was drawn off during surgery. No reason was found for this happening so it was blamed on a virus.

I've been having acid reflux symptoms for several years and took things like Pepcid AC, Zantac etc. Those helped for short times but was experiencing pain before time for the next dose. Two years ago, my doctor told me to try Prilosec OTC. This was after an endoscopy which showed that my esophogas was slightly inflamed. The doctors at the hospital last week told me to start taking one Prilosec twice a day instead of once.

When I found Dr. McDougall.com a few months ago, I felt like this change of diet would be my salvation for both my stomach and weight. I still feel this way and won't be stopping the plant based diet. I'll be watching closer what I'm putting in my mouth to be sure I'm not sabotaging myself.

I'll reread Dr. Esselstyn's book again and see if I've missed something or just forgot. Thanks, Bob, for your reply and mentioning Dr. Esselstyn.

Shirley
grangran7

Postby grangran7 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 pm

BW, thanks for your reply. Last week's doctors gave a heart doctor my information and phone number. They're supposed to call and set up a stress test.

Shirley
grangran7

Postby grangran7 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 am

geoffreylevens, I printed off the Elimination Diet and will try it. Thanks for the suggestion! Here's to hoping it solves the mystery!!!! Thanks again.

Shirley
grangran7

Postby Vegankit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am

Perhaps you are very sensitive to certain spices (chili pepper capsaicins) or raw onions, bell peppers etc. If you are then I'm sure the elimination diet will help you pinpoint problem foods.

I hope you're feeling better now.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby grangran7 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 am

The Elimination Diet is in the McDougall Newsletter of December 2002 as "Diet for the Desperate". It will come up in the newsletter archives. Hope this helps!

Shirley
grangran7

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Is it possible that you may have a hiatal hernia?
Rob

hiatal hernia

Postby grangran7 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Rob, yes I do have that! I'd forgotten. How could I have forgotten that? I need to pass that on to the doctors. Thanks!!!!!

Shirley
grangran7

Re: hiatal hernia

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 pm

grangran7 wrote:Rob, yes I do have that! I'd forgotten. How could I have forgotten that? I need to pass that on to the doctors. Thanks!!!!!

Shirley

You may want to send a message directly to Dr. McDougall for any observations he may have on your condition as he is a Board Certified Internist.
Rob

Re: Hope someone can give me some insight!

Postby Donna R » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm

do you still have the problem? I see your icon is a tomato. eating those used to give me heartburn; spaghetti with sauce, etc. it was better after I lost weight, now I am taking pepsid (generic) because I was given it in the hospital after bypass surgery. they said heart surgery can cause acid reflux!
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby nordgirl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 am

Something that can set me off is quantity, i.e. eating too much. The last attack I had came after eating a huge flour wrap stuffed with good McDougall things, but it was basically way too much food for me and for the first time in a long time I felt very full when I left the table. I paid for it later that night... :angry:
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby VegSexy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I don't if what I had was acid reflux or not...I had some pretty painful nights and days...took acid reducers and such. This WOE has really helped.

One thing I found researching was some individuals may have problems from producing not enough stomach acid. It can be just as painful. One of the remedies is consuming vinegar.

Just a thought...you may want to google it and see what turns up.
~VegSexy

A guy has celery sticking out of one ear, lettuce out of the other, and a zucchini up his nose.
He goes to the doctor and asks him what's wrong.
The doctor tells him, "Well, for one thing, you're not eating right."
VegSexy

Postby goldilocks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:58 pm

I started experiencing acid reflux for the first time in my life this past winter. I finally figured out that it was cinnamon. I always used to eat my oatmeal plain, and had started adding it when I came into some incredibly delicious cinnamon this fall. Such a strange thing to cause it! But I was so happy that it was just a spice and it's easy to avoid.
goldilocks

Next

Return to Health Issues