OCT '09-MWL GROUP-"ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!&

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 am

I've been doing good but feeling bloated. I finally ran out of Armour Thyroid, so got put on that synthroid stuff. I'm wondering if it's that or my system that is acting up. Not trying to get excited over the new size clothes getting tight.

I have been eating my normal healthy stuff. A matter of fact this week's dish is Letha's chilean black eyed pea and winter squash soup. I've walked or exercised daily even with the broken toe. Birkenstocks is all I can wear but it works.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

I'm late! But I want to join too.

Postby figpiglet » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 am

I think I will be encouraged by reading how you all are doing. I am going off caffeine now and wow, my head hurts. I am sick with a cold so I made a big soup with tomatoes, black eyed peas, kale, italian spices, peas, tomato sauce, veggie broth. Just the smell makes me feel better. Jennifer
P.S. I will weigh myself tomorrow so I have a baseline.
figpiglet

Postby Karen in FL » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Letha - How are you flavoring your brown rice for your Mary's Mini?

Karen
Karen in FL

Postby Letha.. » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Karen in FL wrote:Letha - How are you flavoring your brown rice for your Mary's Mini?

Karen

Hi Karen,
I measure out a ½ Tablespoon soy sauce for my rice, and ½ Tablespoon of 3-2-1 dressing for my salad for each meal. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby amyla51 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Letha- How long will you stay on Mary's mini? Are you afraid that when you go off it back to MWL food that you will plateau again?

It will be interesting to see all of our results tomorrow. I am excited for my first week results, as I have been really faithful, once I discovered the difference between MWL and regular plan. :duh:

My DH is doing this with me, but he says he isn't weighing, just going by how he feels and how clothes fit. I put on a pair of pants today that didn't fit this summer. Yeah! Still a size 20, but at least I could button them! ;)

Amy :)
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." Thanks, Letha!
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby Letha.. » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:33 pm

amyla51 wrote:Letha- How long will you stay on Mary's mini? Are you afraid that when you go off it back to MWL food that you will plateau again?

Hi Amy,
Not sure how long I’ll keep doing it. Probably until I can’t stand it anymore. I don’t think I was really on a plateau, which I define as not able to lose weight. I was just losing it slower then I’d like. I’ve got another 216 pounds to lose. At 1.4 pounds lost per week it will take me 154 weeks, or around September 2012, nearly 3 years to reach my goal. At 3 pounds lost per week, I could reach my goal in half that time, 77 weeks, or around April 2011, just 18 months from now. I expect there are lots more hills and valleys, twists and turns in the road between me and where I’m trying to get to. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby MaryW » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm

Good heavens! It's hard to believe that April 2011 (which seems to far away) is only 18 months away (which doesn't seem that long). It's amazing how time flies. This group is coming up on its first anniversary. A year ago, I was almost 50 pounds heavier, eating everything in sight, hopeless and miserable. Now I'm losing weight. I feel like I'm getting myself under control. I'm making progress. I'm more positive and hopeful. I feel like I can continue this lifestyle until I reach my goal and beyond. Hurray! :-D

Some areas I need to work on are regular exercise and meal planning. I take a weekly yoga class. I've been doing that for--gosh, how long has it been? Six weeks maybe? And this week I've started taking a brief daily walk atg lunch time. I'm establishing the habit. Once it is established, i can build on it. Baby steps, baby steps. But it feels like this baby is starting to take off! :D
MaryW

Weigh-in

Postby vegandelite » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 pm

MaryW wrote: I'm making progress. I'm more positive and hopeful. I feel like I can continue this lifestyle until I reach my goal and beyond. Hurray! :-D

Some areas I need to work on are regular exercise and meal planning. I take a weekly yoga class. I've been doing that for--gosh, how long has it been? Six weeks maybe? And this week I've started taking a brief daily walk atg lunch time. I'm establishing the habit. Once it is established, i can build on it. Baby steps, baby steps. But it feels like this baby is starting to take off! :D

Congratulations MaryW - Sounds like you're doing great!

I know it's only Wednesday still on most people's clocks, but I live in Australia so it's already weigh-in time for me.
Weight last Thursday was 65.3kg (143.9)
Thurs this week 64.7kg (142.6)
Weight loss of 0.6kg or 1.3 pounds

At this rate I'll reach goal weight just after New Years :) Just gotta keep at it.

I'm on plan, and planning to stay that way!

vegandelite

Postby Love the Lorax » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:26 pm

debbie wrote:Letha, is that all your eating at meal times? Just that one little plate? It doesnt seem like alost of food, but maybe that is why I am not losing wieght, I could eat two of those plates in one sitting 3 times per day. Am I not doing something right? Makes me wonder, hmmmm

Deb

I know exactly what you mean debbie - I could down that and then think "hmm, nice appetizer..." Again, since my weight loss hasn't been nearly as steady as loyal Letha (loyal and true to McDougalling and it shows! She has my utmost respect!) then perhaps that is why....
Love the Lorax

Postby Letha.. » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:45 pm

debbie wrote:Letha, is that all your eating at meal times? Just that one little plate? It doesnt seem like alost of food, but maybe that is why I am not losing wieght, I could eat two of those plates in one sitting 3 times per day. Am I not doing something right? Makes me wonder, hmmmm

Deb

Hi Deb,
No, it’s not a lot of food. I could also eat 3 of those plates at each meal. I’m really trying to find the lowest level of calorie consumption that I can do comfortably. So far this menu has not triggered any cravings or food obsession. I think the reason I’m able to do this now is because I spent the past year doing MWL without cheating even once. I don’t think I could have stuck to this menu a year ago.

I’m sure what you are doing is fine and that you’ll reach your weight loss goal long before I do. :)
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby MaryW » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Letha--I forgot to add...you've set a challenging goal for yourself, to reach your goal in 18 months. But you have done so well already! When you started posting here a year ago, who would have guessed that you would have lost 150 pounds in a year!? And even if you don't quite reach your goal weight in the next 18 months, you will have accomplished so much! If anyone can do it, you can! :-D
MaryW

Postby Letha.. » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 pm

MaryW wrote:Letha--I forgot to add...you've set a challenging goal for yourself, to reach your goal in 18 months. But you have done so well already! When you started posting here a year ago, who would have guessed that you would have lost 150 pounds in a year!? And even if you don't quite reach your goal weight in the next 18 months, you will have accomplished so much! If anyone can do it, you can! :-D

18 months is not really my goal. It’s just how long it would take if I could actually lose an average of 3 pounds a week. I really don’t know how long I’ll be able to keep doing Mary’s Mini. If I start to hate it I’ll just go back to MWL, even if it slows things down a bit. :)
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby LauraA » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Letha- You seem to be doing great with Mary's Mini! Just the thought of it today sent me into ideas of off program things that I could quickly over eat on. I don't want to go into a diet mentality, so for me, I'll just have to keep up my very slow pace! I admire you so much, and love seeing your progress. Remember, however quickly you lose, when you get down to the last year or 9 months, you'll just be a little overweight, so you should feel great by then, and be very healthy! That's not really that long from now! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:58 am

LET'S FINISH STRONG-
THERE ARE 85 DAYS LEFT IN 2009!

Wow, time is going by so quickly! Today is weigh in day, and I stayed the same. While my kids were here, we had several restaurant meals. I stayed on plan, but I'm sure that there was more salt, etc. I'm fine with this continuing to be slow, though I would like to go ahead and get to 50 pounds lost!! "So near, yet so far away!" Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Anna Green » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:00 am

Down 1 lb this week. :) Set a new goal for 2 lbs per week, however it will be a vast improvement if I just consistently lose each week. I want to have a goal without the feeling like a failture if I don't quite make it, if that makes sense. I don't want the brat to rear it's ugly head and rebel. So that's it. I absolutely adore all of you for being here with me doing this.
Anna Green

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program