Anna's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Having never sucked on a crawfish head, I have no idea what you're going through in that regard. But, you are the Queen of Resistance to Temptation for driving past those smells. I have heard from people who have been to NO that the smells drive you crazy and you can always get something to eat there. The smell of fried chicken gets to me but it DOES get easier!

Now I'll tell you funny story about a Mom and Pop chicken place that Mr. D took me to before we were married. It was over on the west side of the state, can't remember where exactly but Mr. D went there often because his work took him there. I went along one day just for fun. We had our dogs along, he had a sheltie and I had at least one of my shelties and my collie in the back of his truck with the cap on it so they had their own travel area. The dogs learned pretty quick that whenever we went somewhere, it was for FOOD and they always got their share when we came out. Mr. D would open the hatch on the back and give them pieces of whatever it was we had, or "foo" ice cream at them. Which is a whole 'nuther story but also quite funny. But, I digress. So, we went into this greasy fried chicken place, famous with Mr. D because of the deep fried chicken gizzards you can get there. Why anyone would want to eat a chicken gizzard is beyond me, never liked them, but anyway. These particular gizzards were wonderful, he said, and they had gravy on them. So, while we were in the place eating lunch, the dogs were in the truck all that time, smelling the smell of the fried chicken, they were right outside the door because it was a small parking lot. We came out, Mr. D holding his paper plate, and I opened the hatch. All the dogs were right there, and they were READY. The collie was absolutely quivering with anticipation and barking, all the while drooling all over the tailgate of the truck. It was just dripping down from his beak, all over the bumper. There were also puddles of drool all over the back of the truck! :? Which I had to mop up, of course.

But, seriously, you did SUCH a good thing passing up all that stuff. You hang in there, it gets easier and easier. There will always be temptations but you can deal with it.

Can you keep a cooler in your vehicle with an ice pak and some apples or carrots or something to eat on the way home?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

oy

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:23 pm

i had to try crawfish when we were there...will NEVER eat them again....as bad burning coming out as going in!!!!!!!!! :D

I actually asked a lady at the restaurant when I ordered a meal, is that hot? Dumb question....I had a shrimp dish with rice...and my throat burned! :D Never ask a cajun food restaurant if it is hot or not! :eek:
ncyg46

Postby Birdy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Anna you the absolute QUEEN of gold stars, gold stars, gold stars for passing up that chicken! Such a great, funny post you wrote. Thank you!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby SandraK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Anna, I am in awe of your ability to avoid the temptation that is trying so hard to grab you right off the road and pull you into the drive-thrus. You go, girl! I could never judge you. Never ever. No, never. (I am too afraid of the powerful curse you threaten!)
I like to look at the cute kittie pics online (ICanHasCheezburger), and then follow the links to other amusing sites. There is a new one under "Look-Alikes" that says a chicken nugget looks like a kidney stone. It does! The disgusting image helps me - as does the success of McDougall Queens like you!
SandraK

Postby BHealthy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Your sense of humor is a help for sure, Anna! I laughed reading about how it's "A Fast Food Jungle Out There" in New Orleans. That truly is a crime! Wouldn't it be great to have McDougallized drive thru places.

Every single choice and action you take in the right direction - and you are making a TON of those - well, they are building up the stamina to make it last. I connect with that fear of failure - but your comment about keeping the focus on now and what you need to do now and for the upcoming week - that is the way for us to get through. I'm going to list 3 successes I've had each day - to help me keep focused on the fact that I am changing and it is a good change. Your comment reminded me to do that.

Your son is working through the pull of drugs and you are on the same kind of journey with the pull of fried chicken, crawfish, etc . . . you are both turning your lives away from "drugs", turning your lives around at a good time.
Taking care of my health today,
Bea

Bea's Journal

7/7/09 429
8/7/09 398
9/7/09 380
10/7/09 367
11/7/09 352
BHealthy

Postby Anna Green » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Ms Doodlepunk, what a funny and disgusting story. I still have the picture in my mind only with me drooling in the back of your truck right along with the dogs. eeww.

Nancy, you are right, sometimes the heat is too much for me as well.

Birdy, Thanks so much for the gold stars. It's funny how imaginary gold stars can make you feel so good.

SandraK, Ya know we could have a Queen Forum, McDougall Queens (or maybe a better title since queen really does remind me of panty hose sizes) and talk about women's stuff. Like today, part of my problem was that since I have been exercising some and eating so well, things are waking up if you know what I mean. That's all well and good but I am a single 43 yr old getting slimmer but still fat woman. Not a problem I care to have at this moment. So what to do but eat fried chicken you know? Only don't want to do that because the cycle just keeeeeps goin. Ok enough, TMI I know.

My son introduced me to the lol cats not that long ago and he and I sat for 2 hours on the couch looking at the pictures and laughing so hard.

I feel so much better and am looking forward to sleep.

Morning: sm peach and some cherries; ezekial sprouted eng muff

Afternoon: cup of brown lima beans and broc.

Evening: No crawfish, I swear. Big spin/arug salad w/ balsamic vinegar; lots of br rice and veggies, no oil; a little pomegranate sorbet, bowl of ff popcorn w/ braggs and nut yeast. Ok a bit much but I have no guilt, just a really full tummy.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Bea, Good observations. Thank you! I do think we are both headed in good directions.
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:25 am

I am so happy this morning that I am not hung over from SAD Nawlin's food and am not having heart burn and am still in touch w/ the skinny b**ch (love that book) that lives inside of me.

I was thinking this morning as I tromp around the house, that the changes happening are already worth it. I feel different, my body feels different and already looks healthier. I am more alert. Even when I am tired it is not that heavy heavy feeling like life is just too hard. Needing more energy for me is not just about wanting to feel better. Of course I want to live long enough to share my son's adult life. It is also about having what I need to work with people who just break my heart every day; to fight for what will serve the most people in a just and humane way; to fight to open up seats at the table where decisions are being made to the people they are being made about; to deal with my own demons that impact my everyday interactions. I don't want to have all these goals for my life and not have the power, physically and emotionally to work toward them. Already my emotional life is better. I handle things better- those feelings of insecurity at work or anger with my son.

I have been thinking about how to get healthier food to those without a home and those moving into homes. They pretty much all have health issues- big health problems. They may choose not to eat healthy though every time I have offered healthy food to someone, they seem relieved, not just to be eating because they often have access to the worst of the SAD stuff, but relieved to be eating something fresh.

Anyway feeling a little overwhelmed but able to deal. off to work....
Anna Green

Anna

Postby f1jim » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 am

Do you have the picture you are going to use in the "before" shot picked out? It's the one thing I wasn't prepared for so I am making sure others are not in that situation. Don't wait till it's too late.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby sksamboots » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am

Glad your feeling the changes, it helps so much huh?? Your doing great, keep it up :-D
sksamboots

Postby Anna Green » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Jim, I think that ships done sailed. I already look different but there must be a picture around of me. My family probably has one.

Sksamboots, thanks!

Good day today. I went with my sister and hubby to an Indian Rest. They came in to the city for lunch. So I called the restaurant ahead of time asked for no oil veggies and rice. Joe said "no problem." They bring me garbanzos in a tomato based sauce and oil and ww flat bread. Ate a little and said, ya know it just ain't worth it. Didn't taste good enough for my arteries to close over that's for sure. So when we left I went home for a few minutes and ate my brown rice and veggies. It has been over 2 weeks now since I have done a meal of SAD eating and I am pleased though I do feel sometimes that I am right on the edge. Maybe I'll get tired of feeling this way and say enough already and stop toying with the idea and just stick to it.

Morning: brown rice and veggies

Afternoon: a little garbanzos; ww flat bread; brown rice and veggies.

Evening: spinach and arugula salad w/ cherry tom; brown rice and veggies; cherries and strawb; corn tortilla chips and salsa
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Today I am on plan as many say. Currently cooking lentils, br rice and veggies in a spicy broth. Trying to put as many low cal veggies as higher cal stuff in the big pots of stuff I make and this is helping because then I don't think too much about how much I am eating. I am trying not to think about volume and just respond to my appetite which seems overall (I have my moments) pretty reasonable. Today I have not considered eating SAD at all which is nice. It's like I got over a hump. I know there will probably be more but I am planning and cooking and getting ready. I am also spending quite alot of time here which I have decided to be ok with as it helps change the thinking and habits that got me here. Today, I have been dealing with my son's grief-at least that's what I think is going on. Between Father's Day and this being the month he died a year ago, I think he is struggling as in not sleeping much, not eating much, cranky cranky, and not seeing friends. Seems like depression to me. He did ask to see his Aunt this week, spent some time with her and then with his teacher. He also is talking to me a bit more. So I am trying not to worry too much but I am watching. I am not dealing with it by suggesting we go eat a bunch of bad food somewhere.

One thing I keep noticing and have heard other people comment on is how when I eat healthy my appetite is healthier and I am not compulsively eating as much. The feelings of guilt are not attached to it so I feel more relaxed. I can eat when I am hungry. I know I can get more if I want and that's ok so I don't need to rebel against anything (oh yeah like the 2 yr old we all know I can be and was just 2 days ago) and I am not hiding anything or feeling embarrassed. Really the pay offs for this are pretty damn good. Healthy behavior, less neurosis, better coping, less anxiety, more energy, clearer thinking, good b/p, and of course there is less fat.

Oh, what is the deal with the men talking about what their wives are cooking? HEY, I want one of those people in my house who cook stuff. Does McDougall have a plan for getting one of those? REALLY!

Morning: 2 plums, brown rice and veggies

Afternoon: lots of brown rice and veggies

Evening: Spinach/Arugula salad; Lentils, veggies, br rice. Maybe some cherries or pomegranate sorbet.
Anna Green

the deal?

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:35 pm

i need a wife that cooks!!!!!!!! :D I am tired of it!
ncyg46

Postby Anna Green » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:40 pm

So true. Dem mens r just spurled rotten. Or maybe they aren't. We'd have to hear from the wives. Wouldn't that be a fun forum?
Anna Green

well not that bad

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:41 pm

ed cooks his own stuff but I have to plan things.....I want a catering service, and there is one here but too pricey for me! :(
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals