Eat More Rice.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Eat More Rice.

Postby Chile » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:22 pm

For sauce ideas, check out the McDougall newsletter recipe archives. Also, Susan's Fatfree Vegan Kitchen blog has a ZILLION McDougall-type recipes and many of them are for sauces.
Chile

Postby Loveskale » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks Chile, I will check those out!
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Postby Loveskale » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Rice and beans: About 4 parts rice to one part red bean. I cooked the beans with bay leaves and garlic. Once done, I put about 4 cups into a stock pot (a lot of it was liquid), added 2 1/2 cups short grain brown rice, I added green onion (I just cut them into thirds and mashed them with a knife), and I added dried thyme, and about 2 tbsp. coconut flakes ground up in water. Not McD friendly, I will need to find a healthier substitution.

B: Rice and beans
L: Same
Dinner: Same, also had jerk roasted brussel sprouts, which were awesome.
D: Water, 2 bottles of Gatorade, chamomile tea with honey and almond milk

Exercise: 30 min weights, 5 min rowing machine, 22 minute power walk, 10k steps

My energy was good today. I did have some moments this afternoon where I felt like I was going to fall asleep. My asthma was bothering me also. I had a crazy temper though. Which is odd, as I am usually quiet and reserved.

I'm really interested in Caribbean cooking all of a sudden, maybe it's the cold winter we've been having. I am thinking of making greens tomorrow and have some mango salsa to add to my rice. Mmm mmm. There's only a little bit of the brussel sprouts left. I had 3 cups at dinner and it didn't feel like enough. :lol: They hold up to the strong jerk seasoning so well. I got two pounds of brussel sprouts, cut them in half, microwaved them for 10 minutes. I drained a lot of the liquid out, you only need a 1/2 cup. I added jerk seasoning to taste. I roasted them in a 350 degree oven and after about 15 minutes I realised that this wasn't hot enough, maybe 400-425 will be best. Anyways, I roasted them, covered, until they were sweet and tender.
Loveskale

Postby kalehi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 am

Hi Loveskale,

Your new journal has been very interesting!

I have enjoyed the many different ideas about how to make rice dishes. I remember when my wife and I first came here from Korea. An American couple (friends of mine) invited us to dinner and served long-grain rice with butter on it. It was so funny! My wife could not understand why anyone would ruin rice like that. She couldn't even choke it down - she just pushed it around on her plate to make it look like she was eating some to be polite.

My wife and I still follow the custom of serving rice in a separate bowl for each person, with accompanying side dishes that can be eaten with rice as desired.
kalehi

Postby babybuddha » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:19 am

This is turning into a culinary inspiration/tuition thread and I am most grateful! :) Loveskale you have really touched a chord!

Kalehi, I like your suggestion of serving rice plain and having separate dishes for guests to choose, that's how I do things too. It means you can set out a range of flavours and it makes the meal more fun to 'build' and you can try new things out this way. Plus, your table takes on a feast/banquet aspect!

Jennifer
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby Loveskale » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 am

kalehi, I really enjoyed that story! Your way of cooking rice has inspired me much, and I'm thinking more about how I can make recipes. For example, make a big pot a of rice and beans (seasoned accordingly) and then cook veggies or make condiments every few days so I can mix it up. :)

babybuddha, I have been delightfully surprised by the response this has brought, and I look forward to seeing everyone's awesome responses! :)

Thank you both very much!
Loveskale

Postby nayasmom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 am

I had to laugh at Kalehi's story of the buttered rice. I had the same reaction when someone told me their favorite breakfast is leftover rice with milk, sugar, and butter. I cringe at the thought! I could never eat rice pudding, either. It's just wrong!
I was brought up in a Japanese household, so we too ate rice out of rice bowls, with the other stuff on a large lazy susan.
Aaaah, the memories.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Loveskale » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:45 pm

That sounds awesome :) I would love that, hehe
Loveskale

Postby Loveskale » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Rice: Short grain brown rice, red beans (about 4-1 ratio) thyme, green onion, coconut milk). I like to make the recipe the original way, and then make changes (i.e. low fat). My appetite has been terrible lately so this was enough to bribe me to eat believe it or not!!! :lol: But after a few days of eating this way, I finally am starting to get hungry again. I just need to finish off my rice.

B: Rice and beans, w/ jerk brussel sprouts
L: Same
D: Rice and beans w/ jerk broccoli/cauliflower (same recipe as the brussel sprouts, shorter cooking time), kale and spinach cooked w/ caramelized onions, peppers, and garlic, mango salsa. I had two servings of this
S: Rice cakes and peanut butter
D: Water, Gatorade

Exercise: 28 minute run, 10 minutes weights, 10k steps

My stomach is finally starting to feel better. I was actually a little hungry for breakfast today, which was great. I haven't been able to fathom the idea of breakfast this past two weeks. I think the heavy tomato-based dishes was making my heartburn very angry...or it was a virus. I'm still not sure what that was! I'm just glad that it's over!!! :lol:

The extra rice has been great for keeping me full. I am not always on the hunt for food, and I'm happy to eat the rice if I am hungry. Although that doesn't happen nearly as often anymore. My head is a lot clearer, too. I still have a ways to go before I start feeling 100% better.

My sister got me the most beautiful purple kale...she says it was hiding under some lettuce!!! So, I slow cooked some red onion, green peppers,banana peppers (all thinly sliced) with some mashed garlic, browned it, and then cooked it on low for about 30 minutes in it's own juices. I then added the roughly chopped kale and cooked it for 40 minutes. All of the green peppers made it a little more bitter than I would have liked, I would recommend sweet peppers.

My asthma is still buggering me a little bit. I definitely feel myself slowing down a bit. All things considered, I am glad to be getting back to the gym.
Loveskale

Postby nayasmom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Would coconut milk creamer be an appropriate sub for the coconut milk? The lowfat coconut milk has something like 2~2.5g fat per serving, while the coconut milk creamer has 0.5g fat per serving. The creamer doesn't have any coconut flavor, either.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Loveskale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 pm

That is an excellent idea, I should try that! Thanks!
Loveskale

Postby Loveskale » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Same rice and beans, veg, as last time.

B: Rice and beans and mango salsa
L: Rice and beans, jerk veggies, greens
D: Rice and beans and mango salsa
S: Peanut butter and rice cake
D: Water

I am doing really well, energy wise, with eating more rice. I'm also delighted to say that I am finally getting full, and I am not wandering around all the time looking for food. That being said, this latest blast of cold is giving me another cold. Although I have good energy throughout the day, I am feeling the need for more sleep, and I definitely feel it when I don't get enough sleep. I am really happy with this experiment so far. I am not going to the gym today, as I am developing a cough too. I don't want to stress myself out.
Loveskale

Postby nayasmom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 am

Okay. I must know how you prepare jerk veggies!!
Robyn

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Loveskale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Jerk Roasted Veggies:

For raw veggies:

-A large amount of your favourite cut up veggies
-Jerk seasoning to taste

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheight
-Line a large baking tray with parchment paper

-Dilute the jerk seasoning in about 1/2 cup water, add the veggies to the tray and pour over the seasoning. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more, until the veggies are crisp

Note: You will want to steam brussel sprouts in the microwave for about 10 minutes before roasting.

For frozen veggies:

-A large amount of your favourite cut up frozen veggies
-Jerk seasoning to taste

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheight
-Line a large baking tray with parchment paper

-Dilute the jerk seasoning in about 1/4 cup water, add the veggies to the tray and pour over the seasoning. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more, until the veggies are crisp

The difference being, the frozen veggies need less water to cook in, and need to cook for less time.

So far, I've done brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower, and it's been great!!! Tonight, I am trying carrots.
Loveskale

Postby Loveskale » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Same rice and beans and greens as before, recipes noted above.

B: Rice and beans and mango salsa
L: Rice and beans with greens and jerk roasted veggies
D: Rice cakes and peanut butter
D: Water, coconut water

I have been filling up really easily by eating this way. My energy is also good except for the fact that I get a little sleepy, but I think I am coming down with a cold. I slept for 9 hours last night and I plan to do it again tonight.

It was amazing, after work today, I was not ravenous, I was not exhausted. I even went out to the grocery store and go more veggies, I was hungry after that of course, but I was so surprised with myself!!! This is great!

I am making another batch of rice and beans but this time made with coconut creamer. It is definitely lighter than straight coconut milk, and with the mount of rice I make vs. the amount of milk I use, I don't think it is a bad thing.
Loveskale

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals