Bunso Is Back

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bunso Is Back

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey

I don't know how often I'll be able to post here, but my new job is at a desk with a computer and when I'm not busy with work, it is perfectly legit to do online stuff so...

Last time I posted here in the journals, I mentioned that I had other important stuff to focus on, and I was right. Some really crappy stuff happened in the springtime but the crappiness made me take some steps to really begin turning things around. I didn't delve into animal protein at all, but I have been eating high fat stuff and buttered popcorn for a snack pretty frequently. Junky stuff.

at any rate, I've gained 25 lbs. My belly fat feels dense and "aprony" again, my upper arm "wings" are...well, they are comical, so I mostly laugh at them but they and the belly fat has me pretty mad at myself. My lowest weight was 176 in March of 2011, and I now weigh 201 :( but I started a few weeks ago, eating a large tossed salad every day, and got motivated to stick close to McDougall (non mwl) again for the first time this year...with the one exception of the buttered popcorn...

but now I have the book, and my mind is coming back around to "the game." I've restarted my old practice of envisioning myself thin. When I started this about three years ago, when I weighed 235 and wore a size 20 jean, my imagination took me to impossible places, like wearing size 14 jeans...well, I got to size 14 :) and now I'm imagining myself putting on size 8 jeans, as well as seeing myself without the belly fat, with thin thighs, etc. I had a little taste of it, but still weighed too much...I figure, I started at 235 and size 20 three years ago and got down to my "vision" of sizd 14's. Now I'm starting at 200 and size 16 jeans and seeing myself in 8's...I know I'll get there.

a lot has happened in the year since Bill died, and it was his death and a few other things that sent me into "added fat land" but I'm back :)

what else is back? My intestines are having to readjust to the higher fiber again, so I'm somewhat gassy. My energy levels are back to amazing! Um...my monthly never was very bad, but it's back to being downright invisible. The only symptom is a bit of weepiness and major munchies the day or two before I start. It's a good thing I have those, or Cousin Charlotte would take me utterly by surprise every single month.

I got a new job, one with full benefits, that pays $2.50 more than my long-time job with disabled adults. I got to stay on with that company for some part time, which I love, and I added some hours on Saturday, which I hate BUT...between the FT full bennies job and a few PT hours, I'll make ends meet nicely.

Anyway, all that to say, because of being super busy, I have been using my day off to make huge batches of food and put in individual serving size storage units in the fridge. It has made THE BIGGEST difference, having the entree already made. That, and a huge salad stored in the fridge, and I can throw together lunch (and dinner, some days) to take along very easily.

and that's about it. I dunno how often I'll be posting here, possibly each day. I dunno if I'll be posting my menus or not. Probably.

nice to be back. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Bunso Is Back

Postby Norm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:nice to be back. :)
It is nice to have you back. :)

-Norm
Norm

Postby Debbie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah!! Welcome back!!!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby fulenn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Nice to see you again!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Silver » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 am

Hi Buns -

So good to see you back and on track!
Silver

Postby toadfood » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 am

Welcome back!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:32 am

Buns, I'm so glad to see you again! Been wondering where you'd gone off to.

I too regained about half of what I'd lost, and never did get down to where I needed to be, so we are on the "recovery road" together, girl!

Take care.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby Vegankit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:02 am

Welcome back. Good to see you have a plan in place to keep you on the straight and narrow.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby kirstykay » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am

Buns, it's so GREAT to see you back here! I've missed you! I've been pretty much MIA around here this summer...busy with family stuff, but in one more week I'll have all my kiddos back in their proper places and hopefully have more time for posting.

Congrats on the new job! It sounds wonderful! You sound like you're in a really good place, and I'm glad you've come back here to share your journey with us! I know you'll be successful. :nod:

:) Peace
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:36 pm

doing good today, though I think I might be catching something. My work schedule is frying me, so I'm praying about and thinking over my options. It just isn't going to work for me to put in 57 hour weeks, week after week.

It prolly will mean a move to SLC :( not that I hate SLC, but I love Ogden so much...but my main job is in SLC, and I could work JUST that job, if I lived closer and got a smaller place.

Eating is good. I feel hungry right now and wish I'd packed a heartier lunch...thankfully, there is a very good vegan burrito at a fast food place near work. I hope it fills me up. I don't want to go home hungry...don't like eating so late at night.

but today I had

a banana
a small bowl of spaghetti w/ff marinara sauce (btw: Ragu now makes a fat free version AND it's for sale at walmart! I added large diced onion, zucchini, garlic, and red bell pepper and simmered...veddy good)
a plain baked potato from Wendy's
a cup of Quinoa salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing

and I'm gonna be HUNGRY by lunch break for sure. I'm premenstrual for one thing, and that makes me ravenous. And...frankly, this isn't a huge amount of food, eh? so, veggie burrito from Taco Time, it is.

This morning I went for a moderate walk. Nothing uphill, because like I said I'm feeling slightly punky. Lack of sleep. I woke at 3:21 this morning, and it took at least an hour to get back to sleep, and I haven't felt like myself all day. Please God, let it be just lack of sleep. That's all it is, I'm sure.

May I say, at 3:21 in the morning, crickets are VERY loud :duh:
I did manage to get some Cheezy Steel Cut Oats made, three servings sitting in my fridge...I should have brought that for lunch, but...anywayzzz...

that's it for now.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:53 pm

thanks everyone for dropping by. It's nice to see you all again.

Talking Mountain, I saw your journal post about starting over, too...yeah, we're pretty much cruising it together, eh?

KirstyKay, you look FANTASTIC. Love the avatar!!!awesome!

toadfood...ltns, girl! I'm happy to see you too :) :) :)

silver! wow... and debbie...glad to see you. way glad!! :)

fulenn! vegankit! thanks for stopping by :)

norm...I was checking out your blog...nice! I'd love to see some pics, dude

It's nice to "see" all of youse...
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby talkingmountain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Buns, didn't know u were an Ogdenite. I lived there for abpot 8 months once for work and absolutely fell in love with the place.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby RAS » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Welcome back Buns.Glad you are here.I too gained a lot back :-( Been doing it on my own since last week too.Too embarrassed to post and waist anyones time.Again welcome back. RAS
RAS

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:35 pm

RAS wrote:Welcome back Buns.Glad you are here.I too gained a lot back :-( Been doing it on my own since last week too.Too embarrassed to post and waist anyones time.Again welcome back. RAS

RAS...don't fret about wasting anyone's time...I debated whether I should start another journal or not, and then I thought why not.

Have you read Nettie's story from the star mcdougallers? She lost like 90 lbs, and then gained like 90 lbs back! there are others who have lots scads of weight on McDougall, and then gained scads back, and they came back and lost it all and kept it off. Nettie's story is so encouraging to me...and yours can be too!

so don't be embarassed to post. :) I'm glad you stopped by to say hello.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 pm

talkingmountain wrote:Buns, didn't know u were an Ogdenite. I lived there for abpot 8 months once for work and absolutely fell in love with the place.

I sure am. Ogden has a relaxed feel to it, without being a podunk nowhere town. I mean, there is a farmer's market, theater, ballet, outdoor stuff, lots of good outdoor entertainment that is free...Ogden is a really good town. How is it that you were here tm?

But the longer I keep up this schedule, the more I know I really do have to move either elsewhere in Ogden (cheaper, thus only needing the one job) or just come to SLC and find a place close by for less rent than I pay now...huh. I'm trusting God for it, for sure. :)

today has been okay. Coffee sounded real good this morning, but when I figured I'd put non-dairy creamer in it...with its little load of fat...I opted out. Instead I had some black chai tea, with a couple spoonfuls of sugar. That hit the spot.

Still hungry all the time, and thankful that I'm busy...stops me from opening the fridge and emptying it into my mouth! hahaha! It'll normalize after today, since I started today. Joy.

Breakfast was a nuked potato with ketchup and about a cup of Quinoa Salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing
Lunch was stir fry over rice
Dinner will be Cheezy Steel Cut Oats and a huge green salad.

eating a big salad a day. Eating it before the entree...not stepping on the scale until Friday morning.

trying to get out and walk, but honestly my work schedule is so wearing...I am working 57 hours per week, and have only one full day off (Friday)...although I do have Mon and Weds mornings off, which is wonderful, more than I can say. It's nice to wake up and leisurely get ready for my day, have time to do some housework or other domestic stuff like cooking a week's worth of meals or putter around in the garden BEFORE going to work.

BUT...the bottom line is, I am working a lot of hours, and getting to bed about an hour and a half later than my internal clock says "bedtime" so I feel tired a lot of the time...i hate to think what I would feel like if I were eating my normal "whole foods high fat omnivore" diet that I was eating three years ago...and most mornings I am not walking or doing any other kind of exercise.

When I do go walking, most mornings it's more of a stroll to get waked up and just breathe and appreciate the world, the sky, the trees, my body and my God. Not a workout, but a wake-up...sorta like my old Zen walks that I was in the habit of taking a few years ago. And even without strenuous exercise, I've got good energy, so I'm not sluggish or slacking...I'm up and down, finding things to do. Just not into the "Big Rush" cardio workouts right now.

I have a few walks that I like a lot. One takes me down a street with grand old ash trees along the walk. There are about ten of them, all lined up, with a bit of moss touching their trunks, and arching limbs overhead. The first time I saw this avenue the sun was just breaching the mountains and coloring the trees with gold. I burst into tears, it was so beautiful. It was like a cathedral. That walk has one nice steep hill in it, or I can go up a set of stairs. Either way, some cardio without it being prolonged. No "pain taste" :lol: That one is "In the Cathedral"

Another walk I call "Thru the Graveyard" It has a long, gradual incline at the beginning and I can get my heart rate up nicely again without pushing too hard. Then downhill a bit to the cemetary, and up through the cemetary for a little bit more heart rate acceleration, and home. Both of these walks are about two miles.

I have a few that keep me on pretty much level ground that are about one mile, no hills of any sort. Lately if I do walk, I've been choosing those very mild strolls. "Morning Constitutional" But it's still good. I get to greet the morning. My neighbor with the adorable little ShihTzu is usually out by the time I get back around, and I stop and pet her and say hello.

Oh! One very cool thing...yesterday when I stepped out on the front porch, there was a hummingbird dining at a flowering shrub on the edge of the yard. As I stood there, he came to a hosta flower that was closer, and then to the mint patch with some flowers right at my knee. Now that I think about it, it seems like that little dude was coming over to say hi :) He was clear on the edge of the yard, then he was a little bit closer, and then he was right near me, his glittering black eye glinting up at me. Sooo cool. I love birds.

and that's about it. I'm praying for solid good sleep tonight. At least, not waking up too early and able to fall asleep quick tonight. For some reason my body does excellently sleeping from 9:30-5:00, and not so much from 11:00-6:30. It's both 7.5 hours, but my diurnal rhythm is set for early morning, not late night.

C'est la vie...thank God for a VERY decent job with full bennies. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals