New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 am

Blood Surgar at 204 this morning, not sure why.

Went to Dr Appointment this morning. I had blood work done late August. A1C at 10.6. I was less than a month into this WOE, so we will do blood work again in November. They did not do cholesterol this time, but will next. Everything else seemed good.

My Blood Pessure was 120/81. They seemed pretty happy about that. I told them I stopped taking the BP medication, so he prescribed a lower dose, just to be safe. I misrepresented my diabetes medication intake. I will come clean in November.

The Doctor was pretty impressed with how I looked and my weight loss. I was 278.6 lbs last visit, this visit was 236.9 lbs. I gave him a brief overview of this WOE and explained it was a permanent lifestyle change. He recommended to the nurse seeing me look into what I was doing. The nurse asked, when I explained it to him, the no dairy thing was a non-starter. I just smiled. I think he is going to start drinking only water and skim milk next month. I will see him in November.

I have done the treadmill three days in a row. I discovered the YouTube channel with McDougall lectures. They are perfect for watching while being on the treadmill.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am

Weigh-in day!

Lost 4lbs. Now at 235. I adjusted my weight loss tracker to show the weight at my prior visit to the VA earlier this year, 278. I have been as high as 293, but it was after the last visit that I really started bing open minded for change. Before finding this WOE, I stopped drinking soft drinks (diet included), stopped eating fast food and was watching my portions. I really thought my home scale was wrong when I weighed in at the end of July.

My blood surgar was 160 this morning.

I went out to eat at "our place" with my wife. This is where our first date was, anniversaries eaten at, wedding rehearsal dinner, ect. I ate the best I could, but had oil. This was our first time there since I started this WOE. I did the treadmill an extra 30 minutes. Yep a total of 1 1/2 hours on the treadmill. I have now did the treadmill 5 days in a row. I also figured out the program mode and have figured out how much the incline effects everything. I also have messed around with the dumbells, but not really much. I am real happy about the treadmill and hope to keep that up.

I feel really good. No caffine, but lots of energy. Today is going to be a great day.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 am

Weigh in day!

Down to 233, 2lbs lost this week. This is the weight that got me in trouble in the Air Force and was my top weight while in the Air Force. I was discharged about 8 months later for failing to maintain weight standards. My max allowable weight was 204 for my height (6ft). So this is a milestone of sorts. I have been at this for two months, I really like the direction I am going.

Blood surgar at 171. Had late night popcorn before bed time.

It has been a crazy week. My wife had neck surgery on Thursday. We spent Tuesday thru Friday going back and forth to the hospital. She stayed over the night of the surgery.

Did the treadmill last weekend. Will do it more now that things are settled down. I am sure exercise is going to be a harder lifestyle change than the food. For whatever reason, the not eating meat and dairy is not a big deal, which is odd since I loved meat and cheese. The oil is not an issue at home, but going out to eat, it is everywhere. I have greatly reduced my dining out since starting this WOE.

I find myself reading the journals more. I really like what people share.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Congrats on getting your diabetes under control and on the weight loss. Keep up the good work

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 pm

I just adjusted my goal and added BMI to my tracker. People swear I am taller than 6 ft, I just stand tall. My first goal would have had me still in the over weight category. I have come to the conclusion that I can be fit, trim, and healthy following this WOE and having an active life style.

I think reading other journals has me fired up. I am also very greatful for those that return after falling off track.

Today was a good day, went to a local produce store. Second time the, I will go there for all my produce now. Until I have my own garden. Went to "health" store and bought Vegeterian gravy, taco seasonings and chili seasonings. Made awesome chili, cooked hamburger on the side for the family to add to the chili. I served mine over a potato. I also steamed some mushrooms. I never knew they could be steamed. Awesome! I read about it on someone's journal. Tomorrow steaming mushrooms and onions. Created my own potato drawer.

Besides still being obese, things are great.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm

I am going to try to start posting what I eat and my activity. I am not sure if I will post in the morning or at night. This is a Sunday evening post, waiting for the late game. I also want to post my blood sugar, but did not test it this morning.

B: 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 banana
L: steamed veggies (frozen Normandy mix with fresh mushrooms and onions), baked potato with chili
D: steamed red potatoes with chili
S: Salad (romain, cucumber, tomato, and onion) w/fat free dressing

I really liked the steamed mushrooms and onions added to the veggies. i bought three packs of mushrooms and ate them all! one yesterday and two today. I did not eat any pretzels or homemade corn chips today for watching football. I really liked the steamed mushrooms and onions. I think they will go good on a potato also.

I did the treadmill for 60mins, started at 2.7mph ended at 3.8mph. I also wore ankle weights. That was just after breakfast. I might do another 30mins or so on the treadmill during the late game. I might do some dumb bell exercises. Will update in the morning, plus post if I snack during this last game.

My clothes are too big, I had some smaller clothes that I was hanging on to and this past spring, I donated them. I had given up on losing weight. My wife has suggested getting some new clothes. I am going to wait until I am under 200. I might check out some used clothes at 220. I also need a new jacket for riding my motorcycle. I am going to dig thru some boxes to see what I have, but I think I have gotten rid of most everything that was 2XL and XL. I am not even sure when the last time I wore XL.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Nice conundrum looking for smaller clothes and deciding at what point to shop for them

~Beth~

Postby audretoburrito » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Just got finished reading trough your journal. Sounds like your doing awsome. Congrats on the wt loss and takeing care of your blood sugars.

Audrey
audretoburrito

Postby Erbse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 am

JohnLarson wrote: Went to "health" store and bought Vegeterian gravy, taco seasonings and chili seasonings. Made awesome chili, cooked hamburger on the side for the family to add to the chili. I served mine over a potato. I also steamed some mushrooms. I never knew they could be steamed. Awesome! I read about it on someone's journal. Tomorrow steaming mushrooms and onions. Created my own potato drawer.

Hi, I've just read some of your posts. So great to see you adapting to this WOE so well!

May I ask you about the seasonings? Are they a ready made product or did you buy them individually? I would like to mix my own and wonder what goes into Taco and chilli seasonings. I'm not in the US so many of your products aren't avail. here in NZ but I also prefer to mix my own anyway.
Also, I'm intrigued about the steamed mushrooms and onions? Did you cut the onions up or leave them whole?

Erbse
Erbse
Erbse

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:40 am

From reading other journals, I am going to copy a reply format.

~Beth~ - I am hoping to do this around Christmas time.

audretoburrito - I think adapting this WOE has been some sort of spiritual experience of sorts. I am amazed at how receptive I have been in eliminating meat and dairy. I still think about eating those things, but they are just thoughts.

Erbse - The seasoning packets are store bought and labeled organic and vegetarian. I will post more information tonight from the house. I used the chili one this weekend.

I sliced the mushrooms and slice the onions very thin. So they were still round, just thin. I put a lemon wedge in the water. I splash them with lemon juice and then sprinkled with McCormick's Perfect Pinch® Salt Free Southwest Sweet 'n Smoky Seasoning (http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Herbs-and-Spices/Blends/Perfect-Pinch.aspx) - not all are salt free, but they do have quite a few. I am slowly adding the salt free ones to my spice cabinet. I put these in first and then the frozen veggies on top, with more seasonings. When the veggies are done, everything is done.

------------

BS: 122. This is my lowest yet.

I did an extra 40 minutes on the treadmill and did 5 different dumb bell exercises (12 reps x 3 each one) with 15 lb dumb bells.

I slept good, got up with a positive attitude.

B: 1 cup oatmeal w/ 1/4 cup grapenuts and honey.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby kkrichar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Wow, JL, I just read through your whole journal and it is wonderful! I am having a good amount of energy lately too! One day at a time. This is such an amazing way to live. I'm glad you jumped right in.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Erbse - the spice packets are Simply Organic brand http://www.simplyorganicfoods.com I like the brown gravy and the chili mix was good.

kkrichar - your journal was one of the first ones I read. I am a friend of Bill W. DOS 12/4/89. I do not attend meetings anymore. I think practicing the 12 steps and relying on God has helped me along my short journey here.

--------

L: 2 small red potatoes topped with left over chili. Big batch of steamed California mix.

D: Brown Rice, 1/2 of wife's White Rice with Steamed Squash, Zucchini, and Onions topped with spaghetti sauce.

Did treadmill for an hour (first half of MNF). Reading forum and watching second half. I changed the program on my treadmill. Now starting at 2.9 mph and ending at 4 mph. Lots of incline. Part of me wanted to quit or take a break. I also have leg weights on. I really had to push myself to stay on it. My goal is to try it for the next month every day. I think I can do it. Especially if I am going to journal here. I also plan on doing strict MWL for the month. I signed up for the weigh in group.

I noticed today that my t-shirt looked funny. It is a 3X. Most of mine are. I have some 2X in my storage building. I got rid of most of my 2X stuff. Mostly concert shirts out there. This weekend I am going to box up 3X stuff and bring in 2X.

I also have a step thing from like 5 years ago, the gym I went to for a month used them and I thought I would use it at home. It never has been taken out of the box. I hope I did not give it away. I gave the treadmill away, but they gave it back. This is the most it has gotten used. Heck, I bought it for my wife, 8 years ago. We were not even married. I am glad I bought a nice one and was unable to give it away.

Well the game is almost over and it is midnight.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 pm

BS: 159

B: 1cup oatmeal w/ banana
L: (out to eat at Tripps) Salad with fat free dressing, two baked potatoes, insides only with fat free dressing
D: Salad, steamed zucchini, stuffed green pepper (green pepper topped, chopped green pepper pieces and onion pieces steamed with Italian spices, cooked white rice, fat free spaghetti sauce, topped with Bragg's Nutritional Yeast.

Had a great day so far. Woke up and got started no problem. Got lots done at work. I had to make a new hole in my belt. I have used every hole in this belt. Now I am making new ones. I also grabbed a 2XL t-shirt from work, fits good. I did not have to stretch it out or anything. I was going to wait until the weekend, but I might grab some clothes out of storage tonight.

I have not done the treadmill yet tonight, but will. Doing dumb bells also. I will post before going to bed. I just finished eating. I still can't get over losing weight and not going hungry. I chowed down tonight. It was very good.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby kirstykay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:46 pm

John, I just read your journal! Congratulations on the weight loss and all of the positive changes in your health. I, too had diabetes when I started and it is now a thing of the past for me. It sounds like you're headed there as well. Amazing, isn't it, that we are able to heal ourselves with FOOD? I am so grateful to have found the way to restore my health. Glad you have too, and that you are sharing your journey here! Your journal is an inspiration.
:) Peace
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby ~Beth~ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah for the new belt holes!

~Beth~

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals