New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby peasouper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

Well John, you are just going to have to let your wife lick the chocolate off the strawberries and you have the rest :lol:

Sue
peasouper

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:12 am

carollynne thanks for stopping by and the words of encouragement.

peasouper I suggested that to her, she told me we could get my own strawberries. I have eaten two of them and will not be eating any more. They are also just about gone.

-----

The last few days have been very good. Doing the push-ups in the morning is going well. It also gives me a reason to be on my knees to say a prayer. I have not done that in years. I hope this develops into a habit. I am not sure how many "good" ones I am doing. I can feel it, plus I can feel it in my stomach. Something you do not get with the dumb bells. I will try to talk my wife into holding my ankles for sit-ups or figure something else out later. For now I am focusing on push-ups.

I have come up with a fitness goal. My goal is to by July 31st, 2013 (one year after joining this web site and WOE/WOL), I will be able to pass the United States Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Physical_Fitness_Test

I was in the Air Force, but I live in Fayetteville, NC the home of Fort Bragg. I interact with lots of soldiers. So being able to pass the APFT will be very special to me. The Air Force physical fitness test was just a mile and half run. I would run to the half-way point, smoke a cigarette and walk for a bit and then jog to the finish line with plenty of time to spare. I was discharged for being over-weight, but never failed an Air Force fitness test.

As far as weight loss goals, I still have the goal to be under 204 by the end of the year, under 200 by January 11th. I also want to be at my goal of 178 by April 1st. I am not sure if I had put a goal date out there or not. I will really need to stay focused these next few days to get to where I want to be.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby scooterpie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:23 am

Good goals!

Just wanted to let you know about this website--perhaps it'll help with the pushups: http://www.hundredpushups.com/#sthash.9mLyn4O6.dpbs
scooterpie

Postby carollynne » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am

what a wonderful way to start any day off, prayer and exercising. You are so motivated, it is wonderful. We are all on your side here, plenty of support too!
keep us posted! it will not be long til you have met your goals!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 am

scooterpie thanks for the link. I glanced at it and will be checking it out in detail.

carollynne thanks for the words of encouragement.

----

Weigh-in day! 210.4. I was hoping to get under 210. This next week will be a challenge.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

So this weekend was sort of a mess. I had a great weigh-in and I am real happy with how I feel and look. I still have plenty of gut to lose, but I am pretty happy. The push-ups are getting better. My morning routine is doing well. I am very happy with that.

On Saturday I went with my wife to our "place". I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be getting some oil during this meal. I decided to partake in some cheese dip. We have went several times since I have been on this WOE and I have not had the cheese dip. Later in the following morning, I felt a little bloated and constipated. Once that went away, I felt great. So great on Sunday I had some Queso with ground beef while watching football.

I did not make it through the second game. I felt really really bad. Painfully bad. I can only guess it was the cheese. I took some Philips Milk of Magnesia and after an hour I took some Epson Salt. I do not think that was very smart either. I ended up vomiting and finally around 10 pm was feeling better. Worn out and tired, but felt better.

No more cheese. Ever.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby peasouper » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Could this be what is termed 'Mcdougall's Revenge'? I have never experienced this. But then nothing would induce me to eat meat (16 years now) or dairy (over 2 years). I know too much about the stuff :D

Was it a sufficent ordeal to put you off the stuff for life?

This is very interesting.

Sue
peasouper

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm

peasouper wrote:Could this be what is termed 'Mcdougall's Revenge'? I have never experienced this. But then nothing would induce me to eat meat (16 years now) or dairy (over 2 years). I know too much about the stuff :D

Was it a sufficent ordeal to put you off the stuff for life?

This is very interesting.

Sue

Cheese, yes. I have always felt that dairy made no sense. I am not sure why. I love it, but something inside me knew it was strange. Kittens drink their mother's milk, but stop. I can't think of any adult animal that consumes dairy. I think my reaction to dairy this weekend was my body rejecting an unnatural substance. I have at my last cheese dip. I might eat something like cake that has milk as an ingredient, but for the most part I will be dairy free. I am going to just call myself lactose intolerant.

Meat, no. This might change, but I do see myself eating meat occasionally. If that is possible. I do not ever see meat ever being part of my regular meals, no matter what the future holds for me. I do think special occasions or every six weeks might be reasonable. I am not sure of percentages, but I thinking if my meat intake was under 5% of my calorie intake that it would do minimal harm. In no way do I think meat is good. I just do not see myself never eating meat again, but that could change.

I know SAD is too much meat. Most eat way more meat than suggested. I think the Asian diets of a little meat make sense. I am glad this WOE has the concept of feast days. I think the key is to not make every day a feast (or multiple feasts).

I am not sure if I suffered McDougall's revenge or not. I know I was miserable. At one point I wanted to go to the hospital.

No cheese for life. No direct dairy products either. I might have a bite of cake or a baked good with dairy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby carollynne » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:10 pm

you sound like you have a good handle on it, and can live thru the side affects. We all come to this WOE by our own journey. It is so hard to give up on some things that have meaning in our lives, like certain foods, resturants, etc. I am very uncomfortable having any kind of diary, and get all sorts of horrid side affects, and you know that drill. But after being off of diary for 3 yrs now, any small amount will give my insides a fit worthy of a oscar! I always did learn the hard way. but I love it when my gut feels good, and try to stay out of restaurants and away from all animal products, and altho some peeps still question why and what is wrong, I try to give the Dr Lisle answer --" it seems to be working for me..." and get along without going along. Truly it does get easier as you go along too. Good luck to you!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 am

The past two days were certainly not McDougall friendly.

I have feasted and enjoyed myself. No ill effects (stayed away from cheese). I could go into detail, but see no reason. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were SAD eating days. I did do my push-ups in the mornings and was in a very great frame of mind. I choose to eat SAD the past two days.

Today is a new day and not a feast or SAD eating day. I skipped breakfast as I am not even close to hungry today. My next potential SAD eating day will be my Birthday, January 11th. I hope to be under 200 lbs by then. My plan is to go to a Japanese Steak House. I am pretty sure I will be under 200 lbs on my birthday. I am not sure if I will reach my goal of being under 204 lbs by the end of the year. It would not surprise me if I gained a little this week.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Today was a good day. I did 12 good push-ups in the morning and 12 more this evening. I also did the treadmill for 30min.

Ate on plan today. I am feeling great.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Debbie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Just sat and read your whole journal. Good stuff!! Keep up the good work. Im fully impressed with your BS numbers. Thanks for sharing your journey. :)

I also just noticed you don't weigh in anymore. Come on back!!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby carollynne » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 am

I Love reading about your good progress, good luck, sounds like you got it all done pat!
carollynne

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Debbie I will return to the weigh-in group for next month. I was just getting a little obsessive.

carollyanne Thanks for posting. I am still learning as much as I can.

-----------------------

I have decided to go back to a daily journal like before until I am under 200lbs. I will also test blood sugar daily. Then I will evaluate my posting habits.

BS: 95

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/banana & blueberries
D: large salad, steamed onions & mushrooms served over a baked potato, grilled zucchini, squash and portobello mushrooms.

E: 1/2 treadmill, 4 sets of 12 push-ups. (not all of them perfect, but getting better)

Weigh-in day in the morning. I will be lucky if I did not gain this week. I feel great and I think even if I have gained, I am doing good.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Debbie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 pm

JohnLarson wrote:Debbie I will return to the weigh-in group for next month. I was just getting a little obsessive.

I totally understand that. Im a daily weigher myself. I don't normally pay much attention to its fluctuations, but sometimes it bothers me if it goes up with no particular reason. LOL

Glad you're coming back though.

Edit to add:
PS Thanks for liking my page.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals