New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am

A1C down to 7.6 from 10.5. I am still diabetic. My next lab and appointment is in April. My goal is to have my A1C under 6 and to be deemed "non-diabetic".

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 pm

A1C down to 7.6 from 10.5. I am still diabetic. My next lab and appointment is in April. My goal is to have my A1C under 6 and to be deemed "non-diabetic".

I think that's a pretty good drop in just a little over 90 days :)

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 pm

BS: 110

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/banana
L: (Wendy's) salad, two baked potatoes
D: salad, brown rice with steamed veggies, teriyaki and soy sauce.

E: 30min treadmill

Drank plenty of water today. I also stopped eating when full, have leftovers.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby peasouper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:25 am

Thats a big drop John. Congratulations! The time is coming when you will no longer be diabetic.

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:22 am

BS: 140

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/banana
D: salad, noodles with leftover steamed veggies.
S: apple

E: 30min treadmill

Not sure why the sugar was up. Maybe the brown rice or the sauce on it all.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Weigh-in day!

216.2 a loss of 1.6.

Busy weekend, well post more later.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 am

I am going to cut back on my journal and posting on the forums for a few weeks.

I find myself obsessing a little too much on the internet and would like to spend some time with family and friends without "having" to get online. I will still be around, but just not posting as much. I will be posting primarily from work, which is fairly busy this time of year also.

Here is a run down of my meals and routine.

My breakfast is pretty standard. 1/2 cup of oatmeal with a banana. I did get some Royal Rivera Pears from Harry & David and had one in my oatmeal Saturday.

I am eating a large salad with romaine lettuce, cucumber and tomato topped with my homemade dressing (vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, good seasons salad dressing pack) before every meal. I am pretty sure the large salad has made an impact on the quantity of the rest of the meal.

I currently eat very little bread and am trying to follow the suggestions of the MWL program.

My favorite snack items are: hummus (chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice and salsa) with celery to dip or once in a while I will use fat free pretzels or pretzel thins; air popped popcorn sprayed with water and lightly salted; and gardenia mix.

I bought a potato cooker plastic container for cooking potatoes in the microwave. I use it every time. I also like making rice in a rice cooker, it comes out better for some reason. I used to microwave my vegetables, but now steam them. I really, really like steamed mushrooms.

As far as exercise, I am now doing the treadmill for 30 mins at least 5 times a week. I also have a set of 15 lb and 20 lb dumb bells that I do a few exercises at home with. I plan on looking at ways to be more physically active. Another reason to post less and be online less.

I will not be posting my meals like I have in the past and will just use this thread for weight and any medical updates. I will also post things I need to vent. When I get under 200, I will post another picture.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 pm

A few quick updates to my journal.

This past Saturday I went with my wife to "our" resturant, a local Mexican place where we went on our first date. We have gone there pretty much regularly for the last nine years. This was our second time there since I changed how I eat. The waitress asked me what I was doing to get skinny. That was very cool.

A month ago I bought new jeans (size 36 waist). In my excitement, I got 30" length as my baggy loose fitting jeans were that length. It was pretty noticabe that I should have gotten 32" length. I could wear them low and was just going to live with it. Today it was bothering me, so I called JC Penny's and explained that I had been wearing the jeans for a month, but they were the wrong size. They said if I am not happy to bring them in. I used my JCP card, so they could look up the purchase and exchange them. I gathered them all up and exchanged them, no hassle at all. To make it even better, the ones I got are size 34. Yep, 34 x 32 Levi 501's.

Had to share!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Oh, today I also celebrate 23 years without a drink or drugs.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby raimel80 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 am

I love this journal and reading about your journey. It's all so simple- straight as an arrow. And you say 'when I get below 200' none of this bemoaning if it will ever happen. The plan works if you work the plan. Thanks John, for being here and for being a clear sighted inspiration! Congrats on your success and on your other anniversary as well (23 years! :eek: ). awesome. Melissa
raimel80

Postby peasouper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:12 am

Great stuff John!

Sue
peasouper

Postby pamplemousse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 am

Hey John!
I just found your journal and wanted to say congrats on the 23 years. I just celebrated a similar number this summer and it's hard to believe sometimes, but very grateful.

Just finished the 5-day program in Santa Rosa and now have been released back into the wild and doing pretty well. Your words give me good encouragement, so thank you!

Kate
"Artists understand that they have the power, through gifts, innovation and love, to create a new story, one that's better than the old one." - Seth Godin
pamplemousse

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 pm

raimel80 Thanks for stopping by. I think Dr McDougall is pretty straight forward, so it is easy. I guess I have been a true believer right from the start.

peasouper Thanks!

pamplemousse Before getting sober and off drugs, I had no concept of being older. I am very grateful to be alive and to be free. I think those of us here that are in recovery from alcohol and drugs have it a little easier with giving up SAD.

-------------

I am going to start journaling more again. I have had a few ups and downs. It has been good for me not to be obsessed with this WOE in some sense, but my progress has not been as good as I want.

My eating has been okay, but not as good as it could be. I still have acne on my forehead from four pieces of pepperoni pizza and a piece of birthday cake on my daughters birthday on Dec 6th. I also ate a SAD meal at my wife's work Christmas Party on the 8th. Add to that a few Hostess Ding Dongs here and there. The acne is getting better, but it is amazing that a 46 year old man would be dealing with big spots of acne. At least it was not on my cheeks.

I used to play racquetball, years and years ago. I found my racquets while looking for old clothes. I got this idea of playing again and got pretty excited about it. I went to the place I used to play at. It is gone. It was a nice place, tennis courts indoor pool and lots of racquetball courts. Gone. After a little research, I have discovered there are no racquetball courts here in town. I am pretty bummed out about that.

I have thought about joining a gym, but I have a treadmill here. Plus I have dumb bells and can get more if I need them. I have a step thing somewhere in storage. I also have a friend that has a weight bench with weights that I can have, I just do not have any room. I want to do more physical stuff, just not sure what. I have decided against joining a gym. This might sound odd, but I do not want a gym to take credit for my lifestyle change. I might try doing push-ups and sit-ups. I have done good on the treadmill. I made a rule: no treadmill - no TV. I have a rusty bicycle that I could fix up and ride, but if it is nice enough to ride, I would rather ride my motorcycle.

I have decided to try to stay away from Facebook for the next 10 days. I find myself on it too much. That means I will be on here more for a bit. I will do my best not to be obsessed. I really like the journal's. Norm's, geo's, and Dissolution's journals make me feel like I know them, even though we are all strangers. They have inspired me in more ways than I can describe. Really all of the journals are awesome.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 pm

After reading Norm's journal I have been inspired to do push-ups.

I have never been a push ups guy. Even in the Air Force, my push-ups were weak at best. I do not think I ever did 5 good ones in a row in basic training.

So every morning I am going to do 10 push-ups. They might be good ones or bad ones, but I am going to get on the ground and push. Today's were better than yesterday's.

Today I received a package from my Mom. A little Mom info, type one diabetic, cried on my last visit because I would not order pie at a truck stop diner with her, and thinks eating a whole sliced cucumber on a salad is excessive. In years past she has sent steaks from Omaha Steaks, which at the time was awesome, for Christmas. She knows that I do not eat meat, dairy, oils and refined flour. I have sent her Harry & David's fruit of the month for a while now. She has let me know she is still ordering the meat for my wife and kids (knowing the kids do not eat the steaks). So today a package from Sherrie's Berries showed up. A dozen chocolate covered strawberries.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby carollynne » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Just reading your journal and wanted to say hi! You are doing great, keep it up, the rewards of eating as a McDougaller are so cool!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals