Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby fulenn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 pm

moonwatcher wrote:HI Fulenn,

Thanks for reading my blog post about framing and for the good thoughts about the art show--I wish you could be here for it too. I'm hoping my friend Jeanne will get some good pictures of the pictures :lol: :lol: so I can maybe give a virtual tour. We will see how it all goes. I'd like to be able to share it with you and others that way if at all possible. And yes, I'm happy, too, that "Rose" is sold!

Millionaire pie!! Hah! I'm glad my pie reminded you of something so rich--this one's really pretty light, so let me know what you think of it if you try it out.

Hope you have a great week!

xoxo

moonwatcher

I just reread my post about the Millionaire pie--when I referred to it as "awful" I meant that it was full of fat; back in the day, I loved that stuff!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:53 pm

It has been another week without an MS flare-up. It is very important to me that people see how well eating like this works to stop MS from progressing. My father had MS in the days when Interferons first came onto the market. I remember the first time it was offered it was only to people who really needed something and the manufacturers asked doctors to recommend people to begin receiving it. My father was approached by his doctor, but he turned the offer down saying that he was still walking and that others in greater need could have it. I am still proud of his choice. This is important to me because I believe he could have been saved a lot of trouble from his MS if he had known about this way of eating. The information was already out there, but he did not know about it.

I, however, do know and can tell you how amazing it has been to see my body respond to such a healthy lifestyle. If you have MS and do not believe me, try it and see for yourself. Nobody is asking that you pay any money or take any drugs, rather, that you simply eat differently for 10 days. You can then judge for yourself.

On a lighter note, here is what I ate for dinner tonight, my version of Farley's Bowl: Boiled potato slices, pickled beets, bok choy, water spinach, soy curls, and blackberries.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:25 pm

All beautiful--the words and the food that makes the words possible. <3 xo
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Here is my menu from this current week:
--enchilada casserole
--bow-tie pasta with marinara sauce
--burritos or tacos
--pizza
--tomato-orzo soup
--pumpkin pie
--hummus

I cooked a pie pumpkin the other day and yesterday I made some creamy pumpkin soup for a snack; it didn't taste nearly as good as the blue pumpkin that I cooked a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised. The blue pumpkin has a flavor more like a butternut squash, at least to me, and the pie pumpkin just doesn't have the same depth of flavor. I thought it might just be the one pumpkin, but I cooked three small ones at the same time and they all taste about the same. I guess I will be looking for more blue pumpkins.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm with you on the so called pie pumpkins. They just aren't as rich tasting. Kind of a watery texture too. I almost always use a squash of some kind for my "pumpkin" pie. Hope you find more blue ones. :)

xoxo

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 pm

It is so reassuring to know I am not the only one who does not like pie pumpkins! :lol: I was all excited about trying one this fall, but it was just "eh". I'll have to keep an eye out for the blue ones!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby fulenn » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi, moonwatcher! Hi, nicoles! I was excited about the pie pumpkin, too. sigh. I wish it had been better as I still have 3 or 4 cups of the pulp left. I guess I will make pie with it. moonwatcher, I'll try using squash for my "pumpkin" pies and see what everyone thinks.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:57 am

HI fulenn,

I learned a few years ago in one of Susan's posts that actually the canned "pumpkin" for pie is not pumpkin but some kind of squash--I forget what kind now--for all the reasons we are talking about. :)

The art show went great. I even sold 5 pieces! I put up a sneak preview post on the blog so go take a look and you can see a few of the paintings if you like. A couple of friends took a few pictures tonight so when I get those hopefully I'll be able to do another post.

I'm really tired but happy--it's still kind of a blur.

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 am

Hi Fuelenn:

I am just dropping by to say hi and seems all is good with you. I tried to catch up with all you have shared over here but the food part just sounds to danged wonderful. I am on an elimination diet and the punkin pie discussion is making me more CRRRRAAAAZZZY than I can handle. I like to drop in and see the blog picts of your meals too and I am flat going to have to give that up to for the next bit of time. So - meanwhile you keep cooking and doing well too!!! Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby Chile » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 am

moonwatcher wrote:I learned a few years ago in one of Susan's posts that actually the canned "pumpkin" for pie is not pumpkin but some kind of squash--I forget what kind now--for all the reasons we are talking about. :)

Cushaw
Chile

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for telling me that, moonwatcher. I didn't know that. I wonder why they say pumpkin on the ingredients?

Chile, I am anxiously awaiting your book! You are a wealth of knowledge!

Michelle, I will try to stop in your journal more often so you can be avoiding mine! :D

So here is a picture of what I was doing today.
A bowl of frozen blackberries, kale and collards, brown jasmine rice with sliced Japanese yams on top, and a can of black beans. I just didn't get around to cooking beans today.

This is what I do when I know I have busy weeks coming up and I haven't felt like cooking. This is in the refrigerator now and I can just get up in the morning and put what I want into a dish to take with me. Now I know that I have healthy, inexpensive, easy meals for work.

Dinner menu for the week:
--spaghetti
--tomato-orzo soup
--pizza (with artichoke hearts--yum!)
--mashed potatoes with gravy and broccoli
--baked potatoes
--stir-fry

Have a great week, everyone!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby lmggallagher » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Hey Fulenn:

Cool post - your weekly menu items. No worries I would never over look your pages - even though I might get a wee bit hungry over here. That's what God created little green apples for - oh no - I can't have those now - carrots I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You posted in my journal that you have a natural - no exercise - resting heart rate of 65 - wow. The work I will have to put in to get there and you wake up like that. I doubt mine was 70 before I started this WOE, but I always had to be pretty physically active to have RHR in the 60s!
lmggallagher

Postby fulenn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:25 pm

lmggallagher wrote:Hey Fulenn:

Cool post - your weekly menu items. No worries I would never over look your pages - even though I might get a wee bit hungry over here. That's what God created little green apples for - oh no - I can't have those now - carrots I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You posted in my journal that you have a natural - no exercise - resting heart rate of 65 - wow. The work I will have to put in to get there and you wake up like that. I doubt mine was 70 before I started this WOE, but I always had to be pretty physically active to have RHR in the 60s!

I do walk almost every day; I guess I don't think of that as exercise. I also walk several miles each day at work. My resting heart rate was in the high 70s and low 80s before I changed my diet, though.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:42 pm

This weeks menu:

--tomato orzo soup
--spaghetti
--cheaters Pad Thai
--beans and rice
--mango sticky rice
--stuffed bell peppers
--cabbage rolls

I do not use coconut milk in the mango sticky rice, I use soy milk with coconut extract in it; great coconut flavor without all of the fat. I bought some more Japanese Yams at the store today so I can have them for lunches this week.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:30 pm

My daughter has come home from college for spring break--YEA!! She brought some friends with her and my high schoolers are bringing friends over tomorrow. So I have a house full of young people. My husband and I sat down with them and gave them a suggested menu--turns out that they are interested in eating healthy for a week and one young man commented that, "Everyone goes through a vegetarian or vegan stage at some point, so it's no big deal." I love that they don't see anything weird about leaving out the animal products. They were quite interested in my eating this way because of my MS. Anyway, we came up with a menu:

--potato casserole
--spaghetti
--tomato-orzo soup
--homemade pizza
--krautburgers (minus the beef, of course, just cabbage and onions)
--soy curls & dumplings soup
--oatmeal and berries for breakfasts, cold cereal and soy milk, or toast
--sandwiches for lunches--p&j, tofu-alfafa sprouts, bean burritos, hummus & veggie wraps
--popcorn for snacks and some vegan, but high-fat, peanut butter cups that my oldest daughter is making from a recipe in The Kind Life

I hope it works as smoothly as it looks like it will. I do have a bowl of fresh fruit and some raw veggies in the refrigerator, so at least there are some snack foods around. There are also boxes of different kinds of tea.

Wish me luck! I continue to eat as well as possible, though, well, I hate confessions, but I ate a serving of ice cream several days ago. I was offered it and it just seemed so normal, though eating this way seems normal now, too. Not sure what I was thinking, maybe more of a reflex without using my brain at all, but I will not be repeating that after I was up sick that night. Blech!

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals