Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:16 pm

Hey, Kirk! I came here to tell you about the potato salad we like, thought it was here you talked about yours with the tofu and dill but it must have been on someone else's journal and I can't remember who! :)

Anyway, we have really been enjoying the one that Mary McDougall makes on the original videos that we have. It is cooked cubed potatoes (we like red potatoes) and green onions and salsa with some lime juice stirred in, and frozen corn. I mix it all together and the potatoes being warm thaw out the corn. I had a big vat of this when my brother and his family visited and they sort of ate it. :? They are big time SADders. I don't know if this recipe is in your books or you had heard of it, but thought I'd mention it because it is so good.

You better not ever mention blue cheese in front of me again! :) Just kidding. It has been a weakness of mine for YEARS ever since I first ate it, a salad wasn't a salad unless it had blue cheese dressing on it. That has been one of the hardest things for me to do is learn to like salads with NO blue cheese!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Becky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Kirk!

Just wanted to stop by and say hello, and welcome! I read your journal and learned about your health issues, and your love story! Both were very interesting!

It sounds like you have a lot of challenges right now, but it also sounds like you are strong and motiviated. Having your wife on the same page is great for both of you. I, too, had to "try" McDougall several times over the years before I finally "got it". As I like to say, "You can never unknow!" Once that seed is planted you can never tell when it will sprout and grow.

I'm looking forward to sharing your journey!

Take care,
Becky
Becky

Re: potato salad

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:36 pm

ncyg46 wrote:i used very little Nasoya fat free mayo, lots of vinegar and lots of chopped celery and scallions and of course some Jack Daniels horseradish mustard for a kick! I use Mary's suggestion on pouring about 3 T of some champagne vinegar or whatever over the cooked potatoes while they are cooling off. I also steamed the potatoes so most of the starch was in the water...It came out really good...

maybe it was this one...I made some the other day and instead of the tofu I used the Nasoya Fat Free mayo.....
ncyg46

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby nomikins » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 am

Hope you're doing better today, Kirk. Just a thought. Is it possible that the instant food cups are causing some extra water retention and causing more leg pain? I understand they are high in sodium. Just wondering......
nomikins

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:17 am

Kirk, I had the same idea as Nomikins. I think that was why I quit getting the cups. Although I have thought it would be nice to have them for quick meals in case I run out of my leftovers!

I hope you're feeling better.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

the cups

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 am

I have used them a couple of times...but they are high in sodium and the cups are 2 servings, not one....so double the sodium. Nobody eats a half a cup! lol :D
ncyg46

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 am

Ege Bamyasi

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Ege Bamyasi

Postby turquoise » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Sorry you're not feeling well. That seems to be going around this week.

Hope you enjoy the weekend! 8)
87 to go
turquoise

Veggie Burgers.

Postby f1jim » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:02 pm

This comes up frequently. If you read labels you might be horrified by the amount of fat/oil in these things. Just one of them can blow a days worth of fat. Everyone has their favorites. I try to avoid them except when their is literally nothing else in the house. Bad planning makes them convenient.
A quick scan shows many of them have as much fat as a regular meat patty.
Wish I could help with the pain in some way. Hope you feel better soon.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby sigma957 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

You could try to pickup a brita filter pitcher. Either new or maybe try craigslist and buy the filters new.

You don't have to be doing MWL 100% to post in the thread. Post your losses or whatever. They all are a very welcoming bunch.

I know what you're going through. I've gone without medications for quite a while. Now I'm McDougalling to be able to get off them all.

One thing that might help with the shopping is have Jeanette write down names of things and you should be able to check out nutritional labels online. Won't work for trader joes, but most brand names have labels available on their websites.

Good luck and I will continue reading about your journey!

Barbara
You must believe that you are worth the trouble.
When you stumble, make it part of the dance!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

sigma957

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals