Black salsify - what to do with??

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Black salsify - what to do with??

Postby babybuddha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 am

Hi, In the quest for nutrient diversity and having fun with food; have come across black salsify.
http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/black-salsify-400g

I would like to go ahead; and am feeling a little out of my depth :) Anyone have experience with this root? I have a slow cooker and regular steamer, no microwave or pressure cooker.

Thanks peeps!
Jennifer
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Re: Black salsify - what to do with??

Postby Gweithgar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:54 am

That looks so interesting! Sounds like a good addition to soups, roasted winter vegetables, or pretty much wherever you might use a carrot, parsnip, or such. I noticed the page said "check our recipe section" but I couldn't find where that might be. Were you able to find the recipes on the site?
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby babybuddha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 am

hi, yes it certainly does look interesting!

To be honest, no I didnt check out their recipe section, I came here first because I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that they might recommend cooking in fat, with animal products etc.

I'm guessing peel/scrape/ followed by steam or casserole.
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby Gweithgar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:15 am

Click on the Storage and Prep link near the bottom of the description. They recommend simmering until tender before peeling, and then slipping the skins off. At that point the root is already cooked, so you could eat it as is or add it to something else. I'm thinking it would also be yummy cooled and added to a vegetable salad. I haven't had black salsify (hadn't even heard of it, actually) but I have had the root that is sometimes called salsify and sometimes called celeriac, and it is yummy in lots of dishes.

Also, even if a recipe does call for fat or animal products, part of the fun of eating this way is finding out (or figuring out) ways to tweak recipes to bring them into compliance with McDougall.
Gweithgar

Postby babybuddha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks for taking the time to do what I was too slothful to do :oops:

I love variety in vegetables and it makes my day to find something new, but I'm a very basic cook and need confidence with unfamiliar items, so your help is very valuable.

As with the 'tweaking'; I think it takes culinary flair and daring to see how that can be done; that's not my strong point: it's a reassurance to come here and have my hand held.

I like your idea of a salad, I do love my salads :-D
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby babybuddha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 am

Lol have just registered with that company as their produce is so alluring; I am interested in the golden beets, heritage tomatoes and purslane (omega 3 rich). Kale (goes without saying!!!!)

They sent me a welcome email with a promo code to get their cookbook free, so I guess I will be purusing and adapting those recipes afterall :lol:
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby Gweithgar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Good for you! If you find that you need help tweaking recipes, lots of folks here will be glad to chime in with techniques or ingredient suggestions. I have always loved to cook, so one of my initial concerns was how to keep my "foodie" status and have fun with this way of eating. It's been an adventure with some notable failures and many more satisfying successes. For the day-to-day stuff, though, I keep it pretty simple: salads, soups, potatoes, whole grains. As your tastes change (and they will) you might find, as I have, that you are delighted and satisfied with relatively simple, inexpensive, easily-prepared fare. Enjoy the journey.
Gweithgar

Postby babybuddha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 pm

eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 pm

I never heard of Black salsify either - it seems to be mostly a European veggie. I found some basic info on wiki which includes cooking instructions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_salsify

I love to try new things and regret that I won't be able to taste it - you must post back and tell us what you did with it, texture, flavour etc.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning