this mac'n'cheese recipe won my heart!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

this mac'n'cheese recipe won my heart!

Postby spudkin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm

vegan-baked-butternut-squash-macaroni-and-cheese-with-broccoli-and-mushrooms

Its from Veronica Grace's blog and her Vegan Comfort Foods From Around the World Book.

I've just gotta say-- I had tried a sweet-potato mac'n'cheese recipe before and it did nothing for me. But this tasted like the real deal! You would never know there wasn't actual cheese in it-- its that good!

I've got to admit though, that even though one of the main ingredients is butternut squash, I don't think its filling enough not to overeat on. I just had to divvy it up into freezable containers and put it away because even though I'm not hungry, I'm pretty sure I could eat most of the pan tonight! :oops:

This recipe is a definite game-changer for me, who struggles to get and stay on plan. I feel like having a couple servings of this in my freezer for when I don't want to cook, or try something that doesn't turn out (I'm super picky and I admit, haven't yet given my tastebuds enough time to adjust) would be a really nice fallback option instead of fast food!

yuuuuuuuum
--Spudkin--
"The power in willpower is glucose." --Doug Lisle, Ph.D.
spudkin

Re: this mac'n'cheese recipe won my heart!

Postby spudkin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:30 pm

--Spudkin--
spudkin

Postby eri » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 am

This sounds kinfa good? Does it taste like squash? It's good to see you posting again!
eri

Postby spudkin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm

no, amazingly it tastes like homemade mac'n'cheese (not so much like the box kind, but authentic nonetheless). I didn't taste the squash at all.
--Spudkin--
spudkin

Postby spudkin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm

changed my mind. it does not reheat well. poor texture. :-(
--Spudkin--
spudkin

Postby dstewart » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 pm

spudkin wrote:changed my mind. it does not reheat well. poor texture. :-(

Wait... changed your mind about what? Now you don't like the recipe, because it doesn't reheat well?

Does it still taste good the first time?

Broccoli rarely tastes good the second time heated...

I will say this--most of the recipes by chefs for this WOE are way too big. I don't think it's unusual for there to be only one or two (usually one, as in my house) person in a family or even among a crowd of 4, 6, 9 or up to 400 who eat no-added-fat, all-plant, no-oil, no-dairy. Yet the recipes in so many cookbooks and websites are "serves 6" or "serves 8." I like leftovers fine, but I get tired of a dish after maybe 3 servings, the original and twice on the leftovers.

So... I dunno, cut the recipe in half or a third (I know, it's not always practicale), and enjoy it once. :)
dstewart

Postby eri » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 pm

What exactly was wrong with the texture? How did you reheat it? Dang it, I was planning to try this.
eri

Postby VeggieLover » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm

I made this recipe and loved it out of the oven & the next few day also. Yum!
VeggieLover

Postby veggie lover » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

I don't have brown rice miso...only the mellow white miso. Do you think it will still work or do I need to go out and buy the brown rice miso?
veggie lover

Postby VeggieLover » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 am

HI, I used what I had. Try what you have and see how you like it.
VeggieLover

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:45 am

I'm wary of anything low-fat, vegan and "cheesy". I got some nooch and made a "cheese" sauce for my potatoes yesterday. God, it was awful. I was a cheese addict before this WOE, and unfortunately I have a good memory of what it tasted like. It did not taste like that.

I do like the nooch by itself sprinkled though.
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby eri » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm

^^Yeah, I've found that I had to take a vacation from cheese to appreciate the faux cheeses.
eri

Postby greentea » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:42 pm

KittyMcKnitty wrote:I'm wary of anything low-fat, vegan and "cheesy". I got some nooch and made a "cheese" sauce for my potatoes yesterday. God, it was awful. I was a cheese addict before this WOE, and unfortunately I have a good memory of what it tasted like. It did not taste like that.

You have to experiment to find a recipe that works for you. I find that cheeze sauces using Nutritional yeast as the primary ingredient are awful. I prefer sauces that use it in smaller amounts along with other ingredients that add creaminess. The amazing no queso sauce is a good one.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/dec/recipes.htm
greentea

Postby spudkin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:41 am

quote="dstewart"]
spudkin wrote:changed my mind. it does not reheat well. poor texture. :-(

Wait... changed your mind about what? Now you don't like the recipe, because it doesn't reheat well?

Does it still taste good the first time?

Broccoli rarely tastes good the second time heated...

I will say this--most of the recipes by chefs for this WOE are way too big. I don't think it's unusual for there to be only one or two (usually one, as in my house) person in a family or even among a crowd of 4, 6, 9 or up to 400 who eat no-added-fat, all-plant, no-oil, no-dairy. Yet the recipes in so many cookbooks and websites are "serves 6" or "serves 8." I like leftovers fine, but I get tired of a dish after maybe 3 servings, the original and twice on the leftovers.

So... I dunno, cut the recipe in half or a third (I know, it's not always practicale), and enjoy it once. :)[/quote]

Oh sorry... I just saw this. I didn't realize that I was leaving a cliff-hangar!

Anyway the texture issue was two-fold: I felt that the noodles were mushy and that the sauce became... hmm, hard to describe, but less creamy and more thick-goupy. The overall taste was actually relatively intact but I have a big problem with textures, so...

YES, I still LOVED it the first time, out of the oven. I tried re-heating it two ways: in the microwave and in the oven.

My thought about making it again in the future is to make 1/3 of the recipe (2 servings instead of six); put one in the oven to eat for that meal, and freeze the other serving pre-baking, to see if that would make a difference (e.g., thaw/bake at a later date, but it would be the first baking).

This particular cheese sauce does tend to solidify when it cools. I don't know of any that don't though.

veggie lover wrote:I don't have brown rice miso...only the mellow white miso. Do you think it will still work or do I need to go out and buy the brown rice miso?

Umm, this was my very first experience with miso, so I don't know. The author of the recipe did say to use more if using any other miso, and she indicated that any other than brown rice miso would be "milder."

KittyMcKnitty wrote:I'm wary of anything low-fat, vegan and "cheesy". I got some nooch and made a "cheese" sauce for my potatoes yesterday. God, it was awful. I was a cheese addict before this WOE, and unfortunately I have a good memory of what it tasted like. It did not taste like that.

I hear you. Before McDougall, I had started with Dr. Fuhrman's plan, which allows some nuts even in the weight loss phase (I've found I can't do that b/c if I eat some, I want A LOT) and was quickly taken in with the cashew-based nut saunces. I tried reiplicating with white navy beans, and maybe its because I hate beans, especially the texture, but that was awful (gritty...) and the taste didn't compare.

I've tried some other sauces using nooch that were supposed to taste cheesy and just didn't. This was my first time ever using miso and apparently its the secret ingredient to achieving a "cheddar" taste.

I will also admit, I continue to struggle with 100% compliance, so I had had SAD cheese just the day before. That was what impressed me most-- without the taste-bud reset time, I still liked this recipe. A lot. Everyones taste buds are different, of course.
--Spudkin--
spudkin

Postby LowFatVeganChef » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 am

Hey everyone

Just wanted to give you the link to the original recipe. The one that you tried is a variation of it with broccoli and mushrooms in it. Yes reheated broccoli is not ideal. And please make sure to not overcook the pasta, as it can be mushy if you overcook it and then bake it.

When I designed my recipes I made sure they had at least 4-6 servings as I'm often serving men who eat quite a lot more than me. And this way there is enough for them, enough for me, and usually 1 or 2 servings left that they can reheat for lunch the next day. This isn't a recipe that I would freeze because it's pasta. But many of my other recipes will freeze fine.

http://lowfatveganchef.com/sneak-peek-recipe-low-fat-vegan-baked-butternut-squash-mac-and-cheese/

When you reheat it it's best to do it in the oven if you're going to put the panko bread crumbs on top so they end up crispy. Microwaving left overs will leave the bread crumbs a little moist.

About the miso. All miso tastes differently. I find brown rice miso the best for this recipe and any cheezy recipe as it has a stronger taste. When i use mellow miso I have to use more of it. So I would keep that in mind. If the sauce doesn't taste cheezy and flavorful enough add more. Once it's poured over the macaroni and baked the pasta will absorb some of the flavor, so the sauce needs to be well seasoned for the pasta to taste good.

And remember this is a baked mac and cheese, not a super saucy mac and cheese. But I have a different recipe for that called Easy Cheezy Shells and Broccoli.

This is part of my Vegan Comfort Foods From Around The World collection which is on sale right now:

http://www.lowfatveganchef.com/comfortfoods
Veronica Grace - Bringing you better health, one delicious (oil free & vegan) bite at a time! Sign up for my newsletter and get free vegan recipes and cooking tips.

LowFatVeganChef.com
Follow Me On Twitter
Like Me On Facebook
LowFatVeganChef

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning