Spicy Ramen Noodle Salad

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Spicy Ramen Noodle Salad

Postby Peacebloom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:59 pm

I was perusing my recipe folder today and came across this salad I had not made in quite some time. I included the original recipe for those that wish to adjust to their needs and made notes in bold about what I did today. I also added in a few large handfuls of shredded cabbage which provided great crunch. I have made this in the past with just cabbage and no noodles and it was quite tasty too. A few drops of the sesame oil adds more than enough flavour but alas I didn't have any so made it without. Enjoy!

2 packages non-fried ramen noodles
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp sugar (I used 1 tbsp)
2 tsp sesame oil - omitted
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red chili paste or chili flakes
1/4 tsp salt (optional) - omitted
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 carrot, grated - I used 2
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (optional) - omitted
3 large handfuls of shredded cabbage

Break up dry noodle bricks, discard seasoning packets. In 4 qt. pan, bring 2 qts water to a boil over high heat. Add noodles; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water; drain again.

To a large salad bowl, add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, oil, garlic, red chili paste, and salt; stir until sugar dissolves. Add cooled noodles, cilantro, carrot and peanuts. Lightly but thoroughly combine ingredients. Serve, or chill up to 4 hours.
Peacebloom

Re: Spicy Ramen Noodle Salad

Postby rickfm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:45 pm

This sounds good. I've been working on including cabbage more in my diet.

Newbie question... How do you know if ramen noodles are non-fried?
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Peacebloom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm

If you look on the label you can see by the fat content if they have been fried in addition to the listing of oil as an ingredient. Most brands are very high in fat and not compliant.

I use the Palace Deli brand that I can get at a local market. I found them quite by accident one day and am quite pleased. I don't eat them often but they are handy to have in my cupboard.

One other thing to note about this recipe. Before I starting eating this way, I never used the whole amount of sesame oil in the recipe as I reckoned it would be way too overpowering; at most I used 1/4 tsp hence it was not a big deal to simply drop it. I did lightly sprinkle sesame seeds on my serving today and it was delish! :nod:
Peacebloom

Postby rickfm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks, Peacebloom. I'll have to see if there's something like that at my grocery store. I'm limited to a modest Rosauers, as I don't drive and it's in walking distance, and they don't always have certain "specialty" items.

I'm used to the regular "Top Ramen" brand. I thought I was doing good by only using half of the seasoning to cut down on sodium, but I guess the noodles aren't so good, either. I just looked at a pack and realized the calories from fat is 32%. Second ingredient is vegetable oil. "Contains one or more of the following: canola oil, cottonseed oil, palm oil."

Yuck.

And the servings per pack is TWO! Who the heck only eats half of a three ounce pack of ramen!? :mad:
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Peacebloom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 am

Another option might be to try it with rice noodles or soba noodles. I have used the rice noodles in the past with success. They offer a slightly different texture but they still work! I might have to give it a whirl with the soba now that I mention it. Could be a fun experiment if nothing else. :nod:
Peacebloom

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 am

Fried or not, if there's oil in it, it's not McD compliant.

Ramen is also appallingly high in sodium.

Just sayin'. ;)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Peacebloom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 am

ETeSelle wrote:Fried or not, if there's oil in it, it's not McD compliant.

Ramen is also appallingly high in sodium.

Just sayin'. ;)

The brand I use doesn't have any oil in it so it is compliant.

While the sodium content with this brand doesn't fit the 1:1 ratio according to Jeff's rules, it's not appalling as you indicate as there is no package of flavouring involved or used.
Peacebloom

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:18 am

What brand is this?? I've never seen Ramen that wasn't pretty horrific in terms of ingredients. I'm not gonna run out and get it no matter what, but if there's a better brand, maybe my nieces would eat it.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Peacebloom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 am

As I mentioned in my first response above, I use the Palace Deli brand that I can get at a local market.

They are a four pack of just noodles, no flavourings included. I have found the nutrition info and here is the list of ingredients from my package. The nutrition info is for one "brick" of noodles.

Wheat flour, water, salt. That's it. :)

As I stated earlier, I know they don't fit Jeff's guidelines for the sodium content but since I only eat maybe these once every few months they work for me.
Peacebloom

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 am

OK -- so it's just the noodles (not the spices and all that come w/ the "ramen" I'm used to).
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby nomikins » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am

To get the sesame flavor, Mary McDougall will sprinkle on a couple of DROPS of sesame oil on a finished dish. This is in some of the newsletter recipes.

DROPS, people, not pours or spoonsful. A little goes a longggggg way.
nomikins

Postby victw » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

Hmm - thought I responded but my post seems to have disappeared.

It's been hit or miss finding a non-fried ramen noodle for me - sometimes I have luck at the asian stores.

There are some ramens on the approved list for folks that are looking for different options.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/pack_dry_soup.html

I was originally thinking this was the 90's salad where the ramen noodles weren't cooked - just crunched up and sprinkled on the salad. If they are cooked I would think soba would be a great alternative.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning