Beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beans

Postby Barry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:42 pm

I am at the point now where I feel I dont need fake meat like soy burgers or veggie dogs.
I am starting to eat more beans. Canned, because I dont have the time to cook.
I have been getting such bad gas I have to use 'Beano'.
Will this always be the case? Will my system get used to beans after a while so I dont getso gassed up?
Barry

Re: Beans

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm

try GTs kombucha i have to drink one a day. its prob cheaper to find a good probiotic, also rinse the heck out of the beans
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Gweithgar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 am

Yes, your system will adjust, might take a couple of weeks, though. As for "no time to cook", do you have a crock pot? I put 2 or 3 cups of dried beans in my crock, fill with water, and add a couple square inches of dried kelp (tenderizes the beans and helps with the gas). Left to cook either overnight or all day while I'm at work. No need to soak first, either. When the beans are tender, drain the water and flavor how you like, or use them in recipes the same as you would canned ones. Cheaper, no sodium, delicious!
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

I would guess it took my digestive system 6-8 weeks to adjust to the fiber and the modest amount of legumes in the starch-based McDougall Plan. The good news is that your system will adapt to this new way of eating over a relatively short period of time - which varies by individual. Then comes the process of healing the body that takes place over a much longer time frame. This is the really pleasurable and motivating part of the McDougall Plan - experiencing the whole range of measurable improvements in personal health as time on the Plan increases.
Rob

Postby Chrmann » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Gweithgar: Kelp granules has 25 mg. sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. So, if using Kelp granules, how much would you add to a slow cooker with the dried beans? (sorry, but Kelp is from the ocean and has a small amount of sodium!) Kelp is used as a low-sodium salt alternative. It also is an excellent source of iodine.
Chrmann

Postby Christine in Cali » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Does the Kelp make the beans fishy? :shock: me no likey fishy
"Nature won't be denied"
Christine in Cali

Postby livingforHim » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 pm

I cook beans in the crockpot all day after soaking them for 8-10 hours in 2T lemon juice per cup of beans. I have also recently begun using a mexican herb called epazote. I was having terrible gas from black beans, and since using epazote, I have had no problems with gas. :)
livingforHim

Postby Chrmann » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:35 pm

I cooked pintos with Kelp, last night. The pintos "did not" taste like fish. And, I did not end up with gas. So, I will cook my pintos with kelp again.

Thank you Gweithgar for the suggestion! Pintos have always given me gas. But, by using "kelp" in the crockpot while the beans were cooking, I had no gas.
Chrmann

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning