Rice Primavera w/ Tomato "Cream" Sauce

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rice Primavera w/ Tomato "Cream" Sauce

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 am

Invented something and it's GOOD!!! I pretty much always cook in the "Bess Throws Stuff in a Pot" manner (dubbed that by my ex-husband!), and it works for me. But every so often I hit on a REALLY good combo and I wanted to share one.

RICE PRIMAVERA w/ TOMATO "CREAM" SAUCE

Amounts are approximate b/c that's how I cook. You can also substitute ANY of the veggies. Or use WW pasta instead of rice.

Get brown rice cooking in your rice cooker or pot. I used 3/4 brown rice and 1/4 wheatberries.

Cook 1 small onion in a little water in non-stick pan until soft. Add a good bit of broccoli florets (fresh), some fresh chopped kale, some frozen corn, and a can of black beans (no salt added, well-rinsed). [NOTE: Try other veggies, or garbanzo beans--anything will work!] Cook until broccoli at preferred consistency. Add a little garlic powder and black pepper to taste.

IN THE MEANTIME: Put 3/4 c. nutritional yeast into small bowl. Add a small amount of warm water until mixture is creamy. Add 1/4-1/2 c. of fat free McDougall-friendly spaghetti sauce. Add 1 T potato or corn starch [NOTE: This works best if you put it in small cup and add small amt of water, whisking well, until all starch liquified, or it will lump up]. Stir well.

When veggies are done, add the tomato "cream" sauce to the veggies and mix quickly--you just want the sauce warmed.

Put brown rice on plate and spoon veggie/sauce mixture over. Add "Table Tasty" salt substitute if desired and enjoy.

I had two of these big bowlfuls last night and have 2-3 more meals worth left over! What really makes it is the tomato "cream" sauce. It is AMAZINGLY creamy, and w/out having to use a blender!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: Rice Primavera w/ Tomato "Cream" Sauce

Postby StephORama » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:17 am

I'm totally drooling! I may have to make this sometime this week. YUM!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waiEwXI/]
[/url]

Eatin' Vegan in the City of Cows: http://vegfortworth.com
StephORama

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am

Just had more for lunch--it is really satisfying! It isn't as pretty the second time around (broccoli never is, LOL), but it still tastes great! I used to make "cream" sauces w/ Tofutti sour cream and miss those--this hits the spot!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Tazi752000 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 am

Ohh I love the tomato cream sauce idea. I'm going to try that tonight! It reminds me of tomato gravy that my grandma made when I was younger.
Tazi752000

Postby Rain » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:33 pm

That looks sooooo good. I can't wait to try it. Veggies and rice with a tomato cream sauce, YES! :-P
a
Rain

Postby merriweather » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Thank you for the pictures! That looks so good. And doable. I am a throw in the pot sort of cook as well. But this I could do!! :-)
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby Lilliane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 pm

You don't cook the sauce before mixing with the veggies? This looks good, but I can't imagine a sauce with cornstarch which is not cooked. :?
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 pm

Not sure why. The potato starch is just there to thicken the sauce. Why would it need to be cooked? It warms when you mix it into the veggies.

It's not even necessary--you can leave it out or you can use a little real mashed potato. <shrug>
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Lilliane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Hmm, I'll have to try it. It has been my experience that cornstarch does not thicken until brought to a near boil and becomes transclucent otherwise is starchy and thin. Thanks :-)
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Huh. Seems to work for me! It does tend to thicken MORE once it sits a while--to the point where I need to add a little water when I reheat.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Pacificfords » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Looks great! I went and got the ingredients today so I can make it tomorrow. This will be the first time I have ever tasted Kale and the first time I have used nutritional yeast. :) Thanks for sharing!

***** Update Oct 7*****

We made this for dinner tonight exactly like the instructions. My husband LOVED it. He ate and ate. I enjoyed it, but the yeast flavor takes a bit of getting used to for me. Really a fun recipe to make! :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:12 am

Pacificfords wrote:***** Update Oct 7*****

We made this for dinner tonight exactly like the instructions. My husband LOVED it. He ate and ate. I enjoyed it, but the yeast flavor takes a bit of getting used to for me. Really a fun recipe to make! :)

Great! I've been eating nutritional yeast for 25 years, LOL, so it tastes great to me! It's really nice sprinkled on pasta/marinara sauce (in lieu of cheese) and is also good on popcorn (spritz on a little Braggs first, then the nutr. yeast). I just love the stuff!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:06 pm

really cool idea for the tomato 'cream' or 'cheese' sauce. back when I ate cheese one of my favorite things to do with mac and cheese was to add tomato or marinara to it. I love the tomato cheese taste.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Starchyme » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks for the recipe. The visuals made me droool! This will satisfy my yen for mac and cheese for sure.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:16 am

I've been wondering if there is sodium in nutritional yeast. It sure makes food more delicious. Mr. D keeps asking me if I'm sure it's OK to eat this stuff, he likes it so much. :shock:
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning