Asian Rice Porridge

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Asian Rice Porridge

Postby Tazi752000 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:24 am

I don't know for certain that this recipe is served in Asian countries. I am guessing that it would be because it has the great flavors of eastern cuisine and it's really simple and filling.

in a small pot cook half a chopped onion and about 4 chopped mushrooms in a little broth or water until onions are translucent and mushrooms start giving off liquid. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic and stir. Cook for 2-3 additional minutes. Add 1 tbl each of soy sauce, vinegar and fish sauce. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup of cooked brown rice and 2 cups of water or vegetable broth and 1 tbl dulse flakes (optional). Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes. This makes approximately 3-4 servings.

Note: if you don't already have cooked brown rice on hand you can add 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice and double the amount of water and then just cook for the normal amount of time for your rice.

Also, a great addition would be bok choy or cabbage. I didn't have any this morning or I would have added some as well. This was really yummy for breakfast but would be good any time of day.
Tazi752000

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning