Thanksgiving

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Thanksgiving

Postby TheGreenBird » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Is it too early to be thinking about this?

I am already because my lovely mother in law let us know they are coming to visit/stay with us via her email confirmation of her plane tickets :roll:

Anyway...
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Childhood memories of my mom always making the same foods, etc. Now I make it and my parents come here. So I am going to have to make (or have mom make) some of the traditional "crap", but i want to also have some AMAZING vegan/McDougall food too.

So...what are your favorite Thanksgiving/holiday dishes that will thrill even my meat eating, fat loving Atkins worshiping (at times) in laws and make Thanksgiving still special for me? What's will be on your table?
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Re: Thanksgiving

Postby nomikins » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 am

Check the October 2009 McDougall newsletter. It has Mary's Thanksgiving menu and recipes.
nomikins

Postby TheGreenBird » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks, I will search for it :)
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby vgnwitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:43 am

TheGreenBird wrote:Is it too early to be thinking about this?

Considering that here in Canada, Thanksgiving is next Monday, I would say no, it's not too early at all. :lol:

As usual, I have no idea what I am doing. Last year, I think I planned my menu Thanksgiving morning. Oy. Because it's just me and my daughter at home now, the meal will probably be very simple. I will do some browsing in my cookbooks and get back to you. :)
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Pacificfords » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:56 am

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/oct/holiday.htm

That link was fun. I am going to try some of the recipes. It is definitely time to start planning for the holiday otherwise we will end up with someone else planning and inviting us and leaving us little options for eating. :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby SactoBob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:24 pm

We like the Lentil Loaf, page 253 of Dr. Esselsty's book Prevent and Reverse Heart disease. It is really tasty. We also like the various fruit cobbler recipes of which there are many.

I also try to spend some time each Thanksgiving giving thanks for my restored health, and thinking how foolish it would be express my gratitude by eating foods that would destroy the gift I have been given.
SactoBob

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:48 pm

It's a feast day for me (i.e., off plan) but since I'm vegan anyway it's not MUCH off plan. My stepbro and his family are all vegan and my stepmom and father mostly go along, so there's TONS of vegan options available. I usually bring a Tofurkey b/c I love them. Of course they are NOT McDougall legal, but if anything qualifies as a feast day, T-giving does, right?

I find that most meat eaters like Tofurkey. Make plenty of stuffing (no oil--easy to keep pretty McDougally) and gravy (in addition to what comes w/ the Tofurkey, Hain makes a nice dry gravy mix that is good. Then just serve lots of veggie dishes and try to keep those McDougall-legal. That way you won't get TOO far off. :) If they want to make a few non-McDougall items (i.e., meat/dairy esp), let them--you don't have to eat any of that stuff.

Here's how I look at it: If the celebration is at MY HOUSE, it's done MY WAY. If I let you make something you want to eat and I don't you should be grateful. Otherwise, just shut up and eat. :mrgreen:
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby lydia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:01 pm

I found myself in this blog and found these pictures of stuffed pumpkin.....now I may need to get another cookbook...

http://1000veganrecipes.blogspot.com/20 ... mpkin.html
lydia

Postby Jillann » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:17 pm

I also try to spend some time each Thanksgiving giving thanks for my restored health, and thinking how foolish it would be express my gratitude by eating foods that would destroy the gift I have been given.

Bob that is exactly what I have done the past 8 Thanksgiving gatterings I have had with my family. (some of which basicly don't speak to me much and how ever strange it may seem it really is to do with the eating style I have choosen to do the past over 10 years)

I truly do feel more blessed when I leave the gathering (although many pokes will be made at me and the food I bring even if some like it they will never admit it, well to me later they do... LOL)
because I know I am not ill nor will I be the next day or the ..next..ect.
many of them suffer with heart problems and other illness, sighhhhhhh...
my life is a gift, my health is my gift to it... :)

oh & I totally agree on the Lentil Loaf in Dr. Esselstyn book... :)
Jillann

Postby MaryW » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Here's the link to our holiday recipe discussion from last year.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13613&hilit=thanksgiving&start=15

Lots of really good ideas I'll probably still make the cranberry rice and brussels sprouts that I did last year. They are too of my favorites! I also tried making the impossible vegan pumpkin pie from the fat free vegan site. Very good. I did see a recipe in the Vegan Lunch Box for a dish with brussels sprouts and chestnuts in it that sounded good. Would it be wrong to make two dishes with brussels sprouts in them?
MaryW

Postby Autumn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:20 pm

There is a sweet potato casserole recipe I have in my documents folder that someone posted on this board if you want it I can search for it tomorrow. Someone posted a few stuffing recipes on here a few years back but I havent tried them yet.
Autumn

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning