Baking my greens....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Baking my greens....

Postby Skip » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:30 pm

I saw a recipe for making kale chips a while back and tried it. It involved baking the kale and I found it to reduce the tartness of the kale and made it much more palatable to me.

So I've tried baking some other greens like brocoli and I have found that baking it also makes it much tastier to me.

I am wondering if baking my greens reduces the nutritional value of them and if other people bake their greens (I'm not much of a cook!)...
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: Baking my greens....

Postby TheGreenBird » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:27 pm

I just made kale chips for the first time last night too and I wondered the same thing (if I was decreasing the nutritional benefit)! It seemed like eating my leafy greens in that form was "too good to be true". I'd love to hear what others think about this ;)
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby Tazi752000 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:28 am

I've made roasted broccoli and loved the flavor. As far as I can tell then nutritional value is not significantly reduced. And hey, if it gets you to eat more greens than that is better anyway!
Tazi752000

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 am

I'll bet it's BETTER than cooking in water, b/c at least the water doesn't carry the nutrients away. Ask on Jeff's forum--he's sure to know!

I've got to try this kale chip thing!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning