lima beans-need recipe ideas

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

lima beans-need recipe ideas

Postby lydia » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:03 am

I bought a pound of fresh lima beans yesterday at the farmers market and am quite clueless where to start. I have never used them.
lydia

Re: lima beans-need recipe ideas

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:29 am

I don't know if you would want to use them in a recipe or not, being fresh they might be good just steamed and eaten plain.

But if you want a recipe, this is our favorite:

Corn Lima Chowder

1 pound frozen limas
1 pound frozen sweet corn
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch celery, sliced
3 or 4 carrots, sliced
2 to 4 potatoes, sliced
sage, oregano or basil to taste, or vegetable broth powder to taste
pepper to taste

Put half the corn in the blender, put the rest in the soup pot. Add lima beans to the pot and all the other ingredients. Pour hot water to about one inch over the corn in the blender, blend until liquid and add that to the pot. Rinse blender jar and dump that in too. Add enough water to just begin to cover the vegetables, bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are done.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Re: lima beans-need recipe ideas

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:50 pm

We prepare limas very simply. Just put the fresh (or frozen) limas in a glass covered baking dish with an equal amount of fresh (or frozen) whole kernal (non-GMO) corn and add some veggie broth, then cover with a glass lid and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. We don't add any seasonings at all.
Rob

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning