Mixed grain

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mixed grain

Postby Tazi752000 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:20 pm

I bought a bag of this at an Asian market last week and decided to make some for breakfast. The writing on the bag is mostly in Chinese so it just says mixed grain on the front and it looks like the company name is Havista. The 2lb bag was $3.49. The ingredients are: black rice, millet, brown rice, barley, glutinous rice, red glutinous rice, pinto beans ( It doesn't look like it has pinto beans though, it looks more like lentils or green split peas)

I cooked it with the standard 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice until the water was absorbed which took about 45 minutes. It was a very thick sticky mix. I put some in a bowl with a little soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil then through in some kim chee, pickled carrots and pickled radishes. It was quite delicious.

The mix is so sticky that I think it would make excellent bean cakes. I may try that tonight with a little shredded beets or cabbage mixed in.
Tazi752000

Re: Mixed grain

Postby Plumerias » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:24 pm

I think I have a bag of something similar buried in one of my cupboards. I've thought it would make decent veggie burgers, so I'm very curious to know how yours turn out.
Plumerias

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning