carrot and red pepper soup

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

carrot and red pepper soup

Postby MaryW » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Many of you have probably signed up for emails from the PCRM. For those of you that haven't, I got the recipe in an email and it sounds really good. Incidentally, it sounds like a carrot soup I made when I invited some friends over for lunch. They said it looked and tasted like baby food. :( Those SAD eaters weren't impressed with my cooking. Needless to say, I didn't invite them over for lunch anymore!

Carrot and Red Pepper Soup

Makes 4 1 1/2-cup servings

1 onion, chopped
6 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups water or vegetable stock
2 red bell peppers
2 cups soymilk or other nondairy milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place onion and carrots into a pot with water or stock and simmer, covered, over medium heat until the carrots can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.

Roast bell peppers by placing them over an open gas flame or directly under the broiler until the skin is completely blackened. Place in a bowl, cover, and let stand about 15 minutes. Slip the charred skin off with your fingers, then cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds.

Blend the carrot mixture along with the bell peppers in a blender or food processor in several small batches. Add some of the soymilk to each batch to facilitate blending. Return to the pot and add lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Heat until steamy.

Nutrition Information

Per 1 1/2-cup serving:

Calories: 124
Fat: 2.3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
Calories from Fat: 16.9%
Cholesterol: 0 mg

Protein: 5.8 g
Carbohydrates: 21.9 g
Sugar: 11.2 g
Fiber: 4.9 g

Sodium: 418 mg
Calcium: 190 mg
Iron: 1.9 mg
Vitamin C: 102.8 mg
Beta-Carotene: 8274 mcg
Vitamin E: 3.5 mg

Recipe from Eat Right, Live Longer by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond M.S., R.D.
MaryW

Re: carrot and red pepper soup

Postby merriweather » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:33 am

So sorry your friends will be missing your great food. I wish I lived closer, I come over and enjoy a nice steaming bowl of soup with you!!
By the way, yes, we eat baby food. Isn't it an expression
"To Baby" someone is to take optimum care of them. Thats what we are doing for ourselves.
So if that includes eating "baby food" so be it.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Re: carrot and red pepper soup

Postby Tazi752000 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:11 pm

That sounds yummy though maybe some extra seasoning would kick it up and give it a more adult complexity.

Maybe a touch of red curry seasoning or some cumin and paprika?
Tazi752000

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning