Rip’s Sweet Potato Lasagna + Photos

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Rip’s Sweet Potato Lasagna + Photos

Postby TheGreenBird » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 pm

I am trying to do MWL, though I have been cheating a little on pastas, and I plan to skip the nuts and use 100% brown rice lasagna (which yes, they do make to the poster who mentioned that!), so I'm hoping that is okay.
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Yea, the nuts didn’t add that much to it, except for the appearance, and I think you could achieve that cheesy appearance with about half the amount of nuts on top too. Plus that would also cut the weight watcher points per serving.

Tell us how it comes out with the brown rice noodles GreenBird. And post photos too if you can. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Nutritional yeast is a great way to get cheesy appearance (and taste) as well. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:02 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Nutritional yeast is a great way to get cheesy appearance (and taste) as well. :)

Good idea. :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby StephORama » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Letha,

That stuffed squash is beautiful! Thanks for the recipe link. It sounds great! :-)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waiEwXI/]
[/url]

Eatin' Vegan in the City of Cows: http://vegfortworth.com
StephORama

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Letha, your lasagna looks way better than mine did when I made it! I didn't use the cashews though.

I did use brown rice noodles, and I didn't cook them first. I put parchment on top, then foil so the foil didn't touch the food, so itwas tightly covered.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Wow, great job! I made this a while ago too and used Brown rice pasta. I cooked my pasta until it still had some firmness left, then assembled the lasagna. Like you, I could barely fit everything in the pan. And my kitchen was a complete disaster area after making this! LOL! Good lasagna, though not my favourite.
greentea

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Mrs. Doodlepunk,
Thanks for mentioning that. I also used parchment paper under the foil for the same reason.

Greentea,
Yea, it was quite a mess. And here it is day two and I’ve eaten leftovers for breakfast, lunch, & dinner and every time I’ve dished it up I’ve spilled some on the floor. It’s like it’s trying to escape or something. :D
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Carroll wrote:Letha, you are so well organized you make everything look easy... when I saw this recipe awhile back I thought no way would I make that, way too much work, but seeing your photos makes me think it's not too, too terrible. I'm curious why you subbed the zucchini for spinach? Just wondering because I know it seems like spinach really helps to give that 'cheesy' sort of feel to vegan lasagnas. I'm also curious about your jar opener, that's one I've never seen before (I don't know why I'm such a gizmo/gadget junky). I had a bad experience not cooking the noodles first once myself... did it to save dirtying up an extra pot, but my noodles came out like goo, ruined the whole meal, they weren't even recognizable as pasta, I never imagined that could happen to a noodle, blech!

I look forward to hearing more about your mcdougalling with ww... I know I've heard others have done that. Right now (right now being the last six months :roll: ) I'm debating between doing the regular plan with some form of calorie restriction myself versus going back to strict MWL.

Hi Carroll,
I subbed zucchini because I was hoping another family member would like it who doesn’t care for spinach. She’s had it for three meals so I’d say it’s a success in that regard. That is a great jar opener and I use it almost daily for opening those little bottles of Schweppes club soda. It’s called a “Progressive International Multi Opener" but I can’t recall where I picked it up.

I’ve been cruising around the weight watcher discussion forum recipes and it appears they don’t have the capacity to post photos. You know how I love my food photos. I might have to start a new blog to post photos of McDougall dishes and calculate the weight watcher points of various recipes. We’ll see.
Letha

P.S. I picked up the parchment paper thing from Mary McDougall. I believe there is some concern about chemicals from the foil leaching into the food. :eek:
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Letha.. wrote:Yea, it was quite a mess. And here it is day two and I’ve eaten leftovers for breakfast, lunch, & dinner and every time I’ve dished it up I’ve spilled some on the floor. It’s like it’s trying to escape or something. :D
Letha[/size][/color]

For all the work you go through, I just with it would last for days & days! Not in my house. My bf will just devour any lasagna in his presence. I might get maybe 2 days out of it! :lol: That's why I don't make it too often. Lasagna is for special occasions in my book.
greentea

Postby Lilliane » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Letha,
Thanks for the recipe and the photos. It looks very good, but I think I might try making it with a cashew "cheese" sauce, using just half the cashews. I am surprised it has 7 points per serving-seems like a lot. But if you eat green beans and a salad with it using fat free dressing, the whole meal would still be 7 points, which is OK as long as you have that many left : ) Are you going to the WW meetings or are you doing it online? I go to the vegetarian section of their board from time to time-have you been there? I have shared a couple of recipes there, but have not established any relationships with anyone yet.

I would love to see your blog if you do it-maybe we can do this WW McD thing together.
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby Letha.. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:32 am

Hi Vibrant, Thanks for the encouragement. That banana hanger is cool, isn’t it? More attractive than just putting them on the counter.

Greentea, Yea, that recipe is not for busy days.

Carroll, I’ll send you a link if I do a blog.

Lilliane, As you know, a good way to reduce the points on any recipe is to divide it by more servings. I think you could easily get five rows of three = 15 servings which would take down the ww points. I’d be happy to have you join me for Weight Watcher’s McDougall. I had planned to keep most of my discussions on the topic over on the ww forum. I’m planning to post in the daily menu threads on their vegetarian board and I go by Letha Anderson. So look for me there and make me your “friend”. :)
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby TeriTX » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Letha! I love the step-by-step photos of the lasagna; the completed dish looks very yummy!

Like Nomikins I've been hoping for a two-year update. I remember your lovely photo update last year. Thanks for sharing with us.

I am technically no longer TeriTX. I am now an almost-neighbor! We moved to Portland OR in July. I am drinking Yogi tea and every time I read the words of wisdom on the little paper teabag tags I think of you.

Best wishes, TeriPDX :)
TeriPDX
TeriTX

Postby Letha.. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:10 pm

TeriTX wrote:Hi Letha! I love the step-by-step photos of the lasagna; the completed dish looks very yummy!

Like Nomikins I've been hoping for a two-year update. I remember your lovely photo update last year. Thanks for sharing with us.

I am technically no longer TeriTX. I am now an almost-neighbor! We moved to Portland OR in July. I am drinking Yogi tea and every time I read the words of wisdom on the little paper teabag tags I think of you.

Best wishes, TeriPDX :)

Hi Teri,
We switched places. I'm down in Oklahoma for an extended period of time - probably through the winter. Hope you are liking Portland. It's vegan/McDougall friendly and just beautiful overall. :)
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning