Favorite Fall Foods

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Favorite Fall Foods

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:35 am

Katydid wrote:Letha,
I make a dish very similar to the butternut squash, apples and raisins dish except I use a big sweet potato instead of the butternut squash. Less chance for me to cut my finger off :lol: . I have seen already diced butternut squash at the local grocery store. Good recipe to use for it - Thanks.
Kate

Yea, carving and chopping winter squash and pumpkin can be a challenge. I want to try picking up some little sugar pumpkins for soup this year. I’m gonna try just cutting them in half, scooping out the seeds, and baking them in the shell and then removing the flesh to minimize the effort of cutting. I read somewhere that people nuke them whole but it’s not clear to me how they keep them from exploding in the microwave.
Letha

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Tazi752000 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 am

Letha.. wrote:I also like to make squash recipes this time of year. Last week I made a Butternut Squash with Raisins, Apples, & Cinnamon. I served it with Coconut Basmati Rice. The house smelled amazingly good. :nod:

I got both recipes from the All Creatures website which I really like since they have tons of McDougall compliant recipes and most of them have photos and great instructions. The next thing I want to try from that website is the Stuffed Hubbard Squash.
Letha

I am eating the butternut squash and apple dish now. I left out the raisins because I didn't have any in the house!
Tazi752000

Postby Letha.. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Tazi752000 wrote:I am eating the butternut squash and apple dish now. I left out the raisins because I didn't have any in the house!

I’m jealous. I need to go squash shopping!!
Letha

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:49 pm

Katydid wrote: except I use a big sweet potato instead of the butternut squash. Less chance for me to cut my finger off :lol: .

Don't laugh - just yesterday I peeled off a good slice of skin from a finger while peeling potatoes!

Anybody know of a klutz-proof potato peeler, other than get someone else to do the job? :)
VeggieSue

Postby merriweather » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Ikea has a potato peeler that is sort of shaped like a Y
And I think it cost all of 99 cents or so. Might try that. But getting a live in cook sounds good, as well. :nod:
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Just stop peeling them! I NEVER peel taters. The skin is good for you and very tasty. :D
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:11 am

Carroll wrote:This is what my dh uses

I bought one of those a few years ago to peel apples and never could get it to work right because neither apples nor potatoes are symmetrical and they would wobble horribly and not peel.

Oh, and I nicked my finger on that tiny curved blade, too.

Me, I just scrub real hard...

Many times that's all I do, too, but these taters really needed to be peeled. There were so many dents and blade marks impacted with dirt that scrubbing just wouldn't clear out.

And I always peel sweet potatoes if using them chunked up. I never eat those skins.

I actually did almost lose a finger tip a few months ago (needed seven stitches) cutting an onion (to stick in the food processor :eek:)

Onions I've never had a problem with because they're on the cutting board, not held in your hand and slippery. Their skin is removed in an entirely different way.

When we were kids, my younger brother sliced his finger cutting watermelon and needed stitches. Ever since then I've hated large or sharp knives. My being skittish around them has lead to many nicks and cuts to myself over the decades.
VeggieSue

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:38 am

Fall is so wonderful, for so many reasons, but the best part is the abundant variety available. Even if I were a loca-vore, I could eat a huge variety of foods from within 20 miles of me. Heck, I could eat fresh garden tomatoes every day from my own back yard!

My favorite food to make is soup of any kind. I have always been one to "stretch" food. That is, when I was omnivore, I could make one chicken into four meals, and the last one was a big pot of Chicken Bone Soup. So, I got really good at soups. I look forward to Fall because it's soup season.

I love winter squash, corn on the cob, apples, and all of it, but I actually found myself excited because of the winter squash that is coming into season :)
l

Love the stuff! *slurp*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Tazi752000 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am

Letha- Ohh what a pretty picture. It makes me want more squash and I already have two sitting at home.

Also on the pumpkins, as long as you vent them they shouldn't explode. Try cutting out the top first.
Tazi752000

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Carroll wrote:
VeggieSue wrote:Don't laugh - just yesterday I peeled off a good slice of skin from a finger while peeling potatoes!

Anybody know of a klutz-proof potato peeler, other than get someone else to do the job? :)

This is what my dh uses here... doesn't even matter if it's only one potato he insists on getting it out!

Me, I just scrub real hard... I actually did almost lose a finger tip a few months ago (needed seven stitches) cutting an onion (to stick in the food processor :eek:)

I have one of those! Ha! a friend gave it to me as a wedding gift :lol: but I use it chiefly for apples, only when I have a bushel or so and want to do some pies or freeze a batch, or do apple sauce or somesuch.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Plumerias » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Tazi752000 wrote:I always get a little sad when a favorite fruit is done for the season. I was getting some amazing grapes every week called Vannesa and Canadice. I went last week and the farmer was all out. We tend to be spoiled by the fact we can get most fruits and vegetables any time of year. But since I have started to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, I have realized there is a huge difference in flavor between foods that are in season and those that are sold out of season after being shipped half way around the world.

This made me sniff, sniff, sniff when I read it, as I used to buy those same varieties at my former local farmers market and they are just sooooo good. Well we went this morning to the local one where we are presently camped, and they had fresh grapes, YIPEE!!!! I got two different kinds, so tasty. So, do I just throw out the grocery store ones that are left in the fridge?! LOL!

I miss my full sized basement freezer. I used to buy twice the amount of grapes I needed each week that they were in season. Half I took off the stems, washed, let dry and then froze them. Sure, the texture changes, but when my husband puts them into his oatmeal he doesn't care, and I don't mind it in my fruits bowl either. Consider that for next season.
Plumerias

Postby frozenveg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Bump!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning