Past Fagoli

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Past Fagoli

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Which book has Pasta Fagoli? We have an Italian Pot luck coming up at lunch and I used to make this one.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Past Fagoli

Postby nomikins » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 pm

nomikins

Postby bancha » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:15 pm

We like this one from 2003 -

HEATHER’S PASTA AND FAGIOLI

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... ecipes.htm
bancha

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks Nomikins and bancha. But I think it might have been in the New McDougall Cook book. Does anyone have that recipe? I must have leant or given that book away. I was hoping it was in the quick and easy book, but no dice. Or, it might have been posted to the old board. Does anyone still have the link to the old board?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 pm

I think it was on the old board. I believe it was posted by Monika. Unfortunately the VegSource link did not work. Monika, if you are out there please post again.
Pasta Fagoli! - Monika 3/14/03

Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:10 pm

I found the old post. Here is the link, and I am copying below. It is not MWL. http://vegsource.com/talk/mcdougall/mes ... 15905.html (VegSource, thanks for keeping this around) Now that I look at the recipe I can tell that it has way too much salt and flavored soy meat should be omitted. No wonder I liked it so much, but alas it is off plan. Maybe I should delete the whole thread or seriously rethink the recipe. I already deleted the optional salt that was in it.
Steve

Subject: Pasta Fagoli!
Date: March 14, 2003 at 11:51 am PST

Pasta Fagoli

Oh, this is so unbelievably good I took a taste and ended up eating a whole bowl of it cold! I might leave the salt out when I make this again. Also, you might want to use low-sodium versions of the products that are available if you are sensitive to salt. Also, I add a little extra oregano and basil because I love it so much--you could also garnish with fresh basil
. I use crushed tomatoes, which are like the diced ones if you were to smash with a hammer.

(I removed the fake meat ingredient)
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5-ounce cans crushed tomatoes (or diced)
1 15-ounce can red kidney beans (with liquid)
1 15-ounce can great northern beans (with liquid)
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 12-ounce can V-8 juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 pound (1/2 pkg.)little size pasta--I used tiny shells

1. Combine, onion, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes (I added a little bit of water as needed to prevent sticking).
2. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta
, and simmer for 1 hour.
3. About 50 minutes into simmer time, add the pasta to the pot of soup. Simmer until pasta is cooked minutes and serve.

PASTA NOTE: Some people prefer to cook the pasta separately then add to soup. I am too lazy to do this.
Last edited by Steve on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Postby merriweather » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:14 am

You could use red rice, or black instead of the fake meat. It looks like meat. And with all the spices , I think it would still be good.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby Steve » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:27 am

About taking out the fake meat, I agree. I took it out above because that was really off plan. I also took out the added salt. Still too much Salt. Debbie, thanks, it is in the 12 day book on page 235 with instructions about using low sodium tomatoes and beans. I think I will use the 12 day recipe and add the carrot, celery from the other recipe. I will use the cooking method from the old recipe too.

Thanks to all.

Steve
Steve

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning