Eggplant

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eggplant

Postby kirstykay » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:44 pm

Anyone have some good recipes for eggplant? My friend just gave me 5 of them from her garden. They are the light purple kind-I've never seen any like this in the store. I really want to use them, but haven't found anything that I like when it comes to this vegetable.

Thanks for any ideas!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Re: Eggplant

Postby pnwgirl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 pm

I haven't tried it yet, but this one looks divine - Vegan eggplant "parmesan" - http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/09/ve ... mesan.html

There are a lot of other eggplant recipes on that site too if you do a search.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6TdXWw/]
pnwgirl

Postby pnwgirl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Actually, looking at that recipe I just posted, it is pretty high in fat, even though it is on the fat free vegan site! But maybe it could be modified a bit.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6TdXWw/]
pnwgirl

Postby veggielou » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 am

When we have eggplant in garden, this is what I do. Sort of an eggplant parmesean. Slice about 3/4 to 1" thick. dry fry to brown in cast iron skillet or non stick skillet. Place in non stick casserole one layer. Cover with spaghetti sauce. Can add some water sauted mushrooms and ,or, onion. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast if you like. Bake about 350 for about 20 min. Until bubbly and tender. This is not a true recipe ,as I just wing it. Hope you get the idea. We like it.
veggielou

Postby Tazi752000 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:57 am

I like to cook eggplant in a skillet with tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic and zuchinni. You start with the eggplant then add the onions and peppers and brown a little, then add the garlic and zuchinni and fry a little longer till they have a little brown. Add the tomatoes and a little itialian seasoning and cook until the tomatoes are cooked down. You might have to add a little water if the tomatoes aren't very juicy. Top with fresh basil.

I also loved pickled eggplant, Just simmer the sliced eggplant in a little balsamic vinegar and water until soft. Cool and drain. Then add some chopped tomatoes and fresh basil and a little extra balsamic vinegar.
Tazi752000

Postby lunaboyd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:13 am

You can slice the eggplant or cut it into wedges (if you do wedges, you may want to peel first.) Dip them in fat-free italian dressing, then in nutritional yeast. Bake at 400 until crispy. Yum.

They are good just like that, but you can also take it one step further and layer them in a casserole dish with basil, tomato sauce and some sauteed onions.

I love eggplant but every time I eat them, they make me cough. Anybody know why that might be?
lunaboyd

Postby lydia » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I have never liked eggplant...until this year. I tried the "Mushroom Ratatouille" recipee in Esselstyn's book. It is so yummy I made it 3 times in a week. I don't have time to type the recipe tonight....Page 232-233
lydia

Postby CHEF AJ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:20 am

My favorite recipe for eggplant is from Ann Esselstyn. Someone borrowed my book but basically you slice eggplant, put oil free hummus on it, then a slice of tomato and bake it, I think at 450 for 20-25 minutes. It becomes like cheese, so creamy and delicious. One of the best things I've ever eaten.

Love & Kale,
chef AJ
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby pansy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 am

My favorite combination is eggplant, mushrooms, fresh tomatos, garlic and cilantro. Eggplant and mushroms cooked, of course. Sometimes without the mushrooms. You can make it into a salad, I love it with fat free mayo. You can put this salad on the sanwich. Recently I sort of made up a potato dish with it. I water sauteed cubed eggplant, then onions and mushrooms. Peeled potatos, cut them into wedges and boiled until they were half cooked. Them put potatos into the caserol dish, eggplant, onions and mushrooms on top, then can of diced tomatos with fresh garlic. Then just backed it for 40 min. It came out great, I loved it. I suppose it can also be just as good with pasta, though I have never tried it.
pansy

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Super simple eggplant "steaks":
Cut the eggplant lengthwise into1/2" thick "steaks"
Marinate in fat-free Italian salad dressing
Grill or broil until lightly browned and cooked through.
Makes a great sandwich filling, hot or cold.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Rain » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:27 pm

I stopped eating eggplant last year when I finally figured out that it was the cause of a trigeminal neuralgia type pain I used to have intermittently, but haven't experienced since. Before that, I was enjoying this recipe, which I think is delicious and wish I could still have.

Mix 2 cups cubed, roasted eggplant with 2 grilled peppers, 1 cup cooked lentils, 1/2 cup diced onions, and 1 clove garlic. Top with a balsamic vinaigrette.
a
Rain

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm

I just made this for dinner. Eggplant Paprikash. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/08/eg ... ikash.html
If you don't want to make the tofu sourcream, the recipe is good without it too. I'm going to serve it over brown rice. Yum!
greentea

Postby Katydid » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Gabe Mirkin's Eggplant, Tomato and Bean Casserole:
http://www.drmirkin.com/recipes/recipe25.html
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby kirstykay » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:58 am

Thank you all so much for the excellent ideas! You may make an eggplant-lover out of me yet! Which will be good, because my friends garden is over-flowing this year, and I am the lucky recipient!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning