Favorite Spouse/meat eater recipes?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favorite Spouse/meat eater recipes?

Postby TheGreenBird » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 am

I really wish DH would do this with me. He needs to for his health, but I just can't convince him right now and I really don't want to push or guilt him into it and piss him off b/c I know I'd be mad if someone did that to me.

So instead I am just trying to make things that are vegan/McDougall that we will both enjoy. It's hard though b/c I made tostados the other night (mine with organic corn tortillas baked, with ff ref. beans and veggies on top) and he made some ground beef/taco seasoning and cheese to add to his. :(

He's quite picky about his veggies too.

So I need some recipes that will please even the pickiest meat eater in hopes that I can just SNEAK some of this diet into his unhealthy diet without really forcing it on him.

Any great recipes for that?
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Re: Favorite Spouse/meat eater recipes?

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:30 am

Are lima beans OK? Here is a chowder I love:

Lima Corn Chowder

1 small package frozen lima beans
1 small package sweet corn
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 bunch celery, sliced
can also add a small package of frozen broccoli or Brussels sprouts or a little chopped cabbage if you like

Blend half the corn with hot water to cover in a blender, pour into pot. Put the rest of the stuff in with just enough water to almost cover everything. Add a tablespoon or two of chicken seasoning or vegetable broth powder and simmer until everything is done, about 30 minutes.

This has a yellow base and is very pretty with the green and orange vegetables. I've taken it to potlucks and people are amazed that it does not have a dairy/butter base.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby TheGreenBird » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 am

Oooh that sounds yummy, thanks! I don't think he LOVES limas, but he may eat them in a soup or I could sub them for green beans - he does love those and he loves chowders :) Thanks again!
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 am

I think if I subbed green beans for the limas, I would use more potatoes to thicken it a bit. The limas I use are the large Fordhook ones that contribute to the starchiness/thickening.

Chowders seem like they are really versatile. You can do them with just one or two ingredients. I really like blending the corn because it looks so much like there is bu**er in it. :eek:

Another thing I do with The Meat Eater (TME, our youngest son) is to do burrito meals, or sandwich meals. I put bowls of food on the table and include either taco "meat" which has rolled oats added to stretch it out a bit, tee hee, and maybe some cheese but often I "forget" to buy cheese. Lots of other stuff that he likes though, avocado is a new food he will eat. Corn, beans, onions, tomatoes, salsa, hot sauce, avocado, lettuce, shredded cabbage with garlic vinegar.

For sandwich meals, it's onions, peppers, all kinds of pickles, sliced beets, tomato, lettuce and then a little bacon or something. Just a LITTLE bacon, and he now knows that he can have more bacon if he has a SECOND sandwich. Sometimes I do a sandwich spread with garbanzos.

Spaghetti is nice, too. You can make meatballs with oatmeal to stretch the meat out a bit, bake or pan fry then put half in the freezer for next time. Serve the meatballs on the side with your nice marinara and whole wheat noodles, or brown rice noodles that are whole grain.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby TheGreenBird » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 am

That makes sense!

Thanks for the tips :)
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby Potatohead » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 am

I make a huge pot of veggie chili, Hubby loves it....he can add ground beef if he wants to, but most of the time he dosn't

Have to add that Hubby likes the "mock" tuna recipe made with chickpeas
Last edited by Potatohead on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 am

always lead by example.

What kinds of foods did he eat before? You basically did what most people do and that's cook the meat separately and add it to the mcd legal dish.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby merriweather » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 am

My dh had Rachael Ray on this morning. Not my favorite cook, as she sort of pushes Olive Oil. But this morning she was talking about how many people are asking for meatless versions of the recipes. And that although she and her dh eat everything, they like to eat meatless a few times a week. Baby steps.
Any way she was making a black bean chilli. I did not write down all details because it seemed a bit hot for me.
But the meatless hint was to get chimni --well any of the browner mushrooms, cook til browned then grind up and add to the meal. Said it adds a nice "beefy" taste.
She is online if you want the recipe.
When we were starting I pureed lots of my beans and added to pasta sauce. Dh is not on MWL, so he eats lots of pasta. After a year he will eat beans, but was very resistant at first.
Oh, and after I did the black bean brownies he sort of decided beans can be nice.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning