Is this a healthy breakfast option?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is this a healthy breakfast option?

Postby ruupyet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am

I never use the cronometer because I am not great at measuring things out. Plus, I never make one individual serving and everyone takes uneven amounts so I am not really sure how to calculate it out.

This is what we have been having for breakfast the last few mornings. It is sooooo good but I don't want to get hooked on the wrong kinds of food.

About 8 heaping cups of oatmeal
1.5 to 2 cups applesauce (natural, no sugar added)
Water
Mix it all up until it sticks together

In a pot:
3 heaping cups frozen blueberries (plain blueberries - no sugar added)
1/2 cup OJ
Bring to a slight boil
Add 1 Tbs cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbs water. Pour slowly over the berries until thick.

Put half the oatmeal mixture in the bottom of a glass Pyrex dish (8" square, I think)
Dump the berry mixture over the top
Put the rest of the oatmeal mixture on top and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

We call it blueberry cobbler. Originally, I made it with sugar but I have cut that out. I have tried it without the OJ but it wasn't that good.

I know the applesauce and OJ are the two questionable things. Any ideas if this is a good breakfast option or anything I can do to make it healthier?
ruupyet

Re: Is this a healthy breakfast option?

Postby Carbovore » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Looks like a perfect breakfast to me. The applesauce & OJ are okay, but if you're following the Maximum Weight Loss plan, I'd suggest using as little as needed.
Carbovore

Postby Gavi60 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Oh yum! Sound wonderful. Lemon goes extremely well with blueberries, you could try lemon juice instead of OJ. You wouldn't need as much I think and it would cut a few calories. But I am definitely going to try this on the weekend!
Gavi

Height 5' 2"
Starting weight 164
Currently 132
Target 115
Vegan, wheat free since mid May 2010

IBS for 40 years, but no flareups since early August! And I can now eat small amounts of wheat products without a response!
Hallelujah! Life is good!
Gavi60

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Oh, a little lemon zest in this would be fabulous. I'm going to try something like it as a change from my Cherry Pie oats.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby EK » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:40 pm

MMMMMMM this sounds great!

This may be a silly question but did you cook the oatmeal first or did you use dry oats?? And what kind of oats do you use?
EK

Postby ruupyet » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:41 am

Thanks everyone! I made this again yesterday and used your lemon advice. I only had one though but I squeezed it into the granola. It gave it a little kick. I will definitely make it with more lemon juice next time and try subbing out some of the OJ for the lemon juice. I am eating a piece as I type this and it is delicious!

EK,
Yes, I use dry oatmeal, mix it all up and let it bake. I use the Quaker brand regular oatmeal (not the quick cook type).
ruupyet

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning