Mrs. Doodlepunk... What is bean cheaze?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Chrmann » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Chrmann

Re: Mrs. Doodlepunk... What is bean cheaze?

Postby bob2200 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 am

bob2200

Postby kimba » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 am

Whirl whirl whirl...hear my blender?
kimba

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 pm

love this stuff! I got it off of this site

http://heart.kumu.org/
ncyg46

Postby Chrmann » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Can you use garbanzo beans instead of northern beans?
Chrmann

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Chrmann wrote:Can you use garbanzo beans instead of northern beans?

never tried it but why not...you want a mild white bean....
ncyg46

Postby veggielou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:27 am

Nancy- I know you avoid salt, so do you omit it. I just made some minus salt, tasty. Wonder what DH will think of it. He thinks he needs sauce on veggies,since I frown on butter.
veggielou

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 am

veggielou wrote:Nancy- I know you avoid salt, so do you omit it. I just made some minus salt, tasty. Wonder what DH will think of it. He thinks he needs sauce on veggies,since I frown on butter.

i don't use any salt in it....and very few pimentos since I don't care for them! My favorite one is the cashew cheeze from the Uncheeze Cookbook but that is higher in fat.
ncyg46

Postby veggielou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks Nancy. I will have to dig out my uncheese cookbook.
veggielou

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 am

Chrmann wrote:Mrs. Doodlepunk... What is bean cheaze?

Oh. My. Now I know what to have for supper tonight!

Number one reason I should check in here regularly! I need reminders of my favorite foods! And today is the perfect day to have the oven on.

Seedy's Chili Cheaze Casserole

three cans of chili beans - today I'm using 1 1/2 quarts of home canned pinto beans, the other 1/2 quart went into the cheaze sauce and it is GOOD made with pintos so I don't know why garbanzos wouldn't be good too. Hmmm...
One recipe Bean Cheaze
Bag of frozen hash browns - today I'm using several sliced baked potatoes instead

Spread chili beans in glass baking dish. Pour bean cheaze over all, put hashbrowns on top. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Sleep with bedroom windows open. ;-)

I use plain kidney or pintos and sprinkle with chili powder and dried onion flakes. La la la, instant chili beans.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby vgnwitch » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 am

For anyone who doesn't like pimiento in cheddar-style cheeze recipes, you can substitute an equal amount of roasted red peppers. I think they give a better flavour and jarred roasted peppers are fairly cheap.

If you don't like one type of bean, feel free to substitute another bean of the same colour. I do this all the time with garbanzo recipes because I don't like garbanzo beans.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:01 am

Mrs. D - Isnt 'chili beans' the beans that come in the chili sauce? I love them over a baked tater or even heated on a salad.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby ellabella2011 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:30 am

Oh, great ideas. Thank you.
ellabella2011

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Faith in DC wrote:Mrs. D - Isnt 'chili beans' the beans that come in the chili sauce? I love them over a baked tater or even heated on a salad.
Yes, I think that's what they are. I bought some once and thought they were so good, then realized the brand I had contained "modified food starch" and I was trying to be gluten free. :cry: So the home canned beans have no salt, I dump them in without rinsing since I know I used good drinking water for canning them, and dump on some chili powder and garlic powder and it's just about like the chili beans.

I wish I could get Ranch Style beans without pork fat in them. Those are my all-time favorite canned beans. I can't remember if they have gluten issues or not, it's been so long since I bought any. They used to only be available in Texas.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:24 am

Faith in DC wrote:Mrs. D - Isnt 'chili beans' the beans that come in the chili sauce? I love them over a baked tater or even heated on a salad.

I usually make this recipe using cans of Hormel 99% fat free vegetarian chili, at least one of the 3 cans called for, as I never knew anything else existed. I only use 1 can because of the high salt content, over 700 mg per serving - wowsa!

I was recently in a different grocery store and naturally roamed through the canned bean section and found they had Westbrae brand beans, and one of the items was called "chili beans." It was just plain old kidney, pinto and black beans packed in the usual gunk that beans get packed in. There's no tomato-y sauce.

Now that the temps are finally cooling off I'll be making that recipe again, this time using one can of chili and 2 cans of those chili beans. Of course, I could also just open one can each of the three beans, mix it all up, and use that, instead, but my husband would complain if he didn't have his chili mixed in there, now that he's used to it.
VeggieSue

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning