Try, try again

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Try, try again

Postby woods38 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:51 am

I can see that the last time I was here was March. 3 months ago. I have decided to give this another go after what happened to me yesterday.

I was at work yesterday and I started feeling funny after lunch. I felt like I was going to pass out, I saw wavy lines in my vision, I felt really ill. It freaked me out. I sat down and rested awhile and after about 30 minutes I felt better. I don't know what happened to me but I was fine the rest of the day. I have a lot of food allergies and it's possible that I came in contact with something I was allergic to but I don't think that is what happened. I made my lunch myself at home.

I just know that I cannot keep taking my health for granted. There is a lot of disease in my family. I'm overweight, have been overweight for all of my adult life and it would be nice to slim down and to feel and be healthier.
woods38

Re: Try, try again

Postby woods38 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:41 am

My mom thinks that I had a TIA or little stroke yesterday. I think that she is right. I had one other episode a couple of years ago.

So starting today no more alcohol, no more cheese, no more McDonalds, no more animal products. Just healthy stuff for me. If I can avoid another episode of whatever happened it is worth it.

I'm home relaxing with my DD today. She is resting after having her wisdom teeth out. I just playing mom and taking care of her and myself.
woods38

Postby SactoBob » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

A visual disturbance is a specific clinical sign, and if it were me, I would want an answer as to what that was. I would visit my opthalmologist for sure.

It could be something like a migraine, or a symptom of something more serious, so check it out. Of course, it is always the right time to start a health promoting diet as recommended here.
SactoBob

Postby woods38 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks, going to the eye doctor and my regular doctor for checkups are on my list of things to do this month.

Today I am home again just taking care of my DD. We are just relaxing. I've been hungrier today. I'm going to go check out some more recipes. I made Mary's dilled coleslaw and some rice so far. I love Mary's recipes! They are tastier than I would have thought and they use common ingredients and are easy to make.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:12 pm

I talked to my aunt today and discovered that she has had many of those episodes like the one I had a few days ago. She thinks that they are ocular migranes. Well, no matter what they are changing my diet is bound to help.

Today is day 3 and things are going really well. Today I made vegetarian paella from the "New McDougall Cookbook". It was good and put my leftover brown rice to good use. I was feeling hungry this afternoon and quickly found that rice cakes tasted good but didn't really satisfy my hunger. I thought, oh I just need a snack, but I really needed something more substantial. Thank goodness for leftovers and microwaved potatoes! They hit the spot.

I've been home for the past 3 days so it has been easy to avoid temptation and eat well. Tomorrow I have to go to work. I will just have to pack a really good lunch and a substantial snack. I don't want to give up and fall prey to the little bags of chips and stuff at the corner store next to work.

I walked with a friend today. It was a beautiful day and it was fun to take a walk in the park with her. Hopefully we will do it again soon.

I don't have many plans for the holiday weekend and I am relieved. The closer I stay to home right now the better my chances of success.
woods38

Postby SactoBob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:45 pm

woods38 wrote:Thanks, going to the eye doctor and my regular doctor for checkups are on my list of things to do this month.

Some visual disturbances can be signs of true surgical emergencies. E.g., a detaching retina can produce visual disturbances before it goes. You haven't given much details about your visual disturbance, and this is not the appropriate place to diagnose the problem anyhow. But it might be a good idea to call the opthalmologist and describe your symptoms and let them make the call as to whether it can be delayed until later in the month.

My best man at my wedding many years ago is an opthalmologist, and the judge who married me is a good friend. I introduced the two before the ceremony because my judge friend was describing visual disturbances which he planned to take care of as soon as he returned from a Mexico vacation. Luckily, he spoke to my best man and had surgery the next day, which saved his vision. He would have almost certainly been blinded if went horseback riding in Mexico. He later told me that he met another judge who lost his eyesight in the very same way.

Years later, my secretary described similar symptoms to me while complaining that the emergency room doctor had sent her home without treatment for her visual disturbance. I called my opthalmologist friend immediately, and she too needed immediate surgery to save her eyesight. Her outcome was not so good because she had a delay in treatment.

Still later, I was involved in the handling of a legal case where a prison doctor ignored such symptoms and the prisoner lost his eyesight in the eye as a result of the delay. That was sad and expensive.

So I react to your statements with a background of caution in this area.
SactoBob

Postby afreespirit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 pm

woods 39 you are off to a great start. Kudos. I agree that the closer you stay to home right now the greater your chances for success.
afreespirit

Postby woods38 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:42 am

Today is day 5.

Yesterday was hard! I was at work and tempted by coworkers crunching on chips and candy bars. Part of me knew that I could do the same with just a few quarters and a quick trip to the corner store. Then I remembered my TIA episode and went to eat the food that I brought to work. It was good. Junk food is not worth my health. Either is alcohol. My DH offered me a beer last night. It looked inviting, it was the kind I like, it would relax me....no, no, no! I will not! Besides I'm still caring for my DD recovering from surgery and I need to stay awake and alert as possible for her. I was craving cheese so much last night but somehow I reisisted. I really want to give this program a chance. I know that it will protect me from heart disease and stroke.

Today I woke up feeling better. I have the day off and am going shopping with my DD. We will have fun. I made a barley, broccoli, carrot and ginger saute to bring for my lunch.I feel prepared.

I'm thinking about starting an exercise program next week.

I am feeling a bit better. My sinuses are not clogged up from too much dairy. I have lost a couple of pounds. I gave up coffee and am feeling a little tired at times but overall I feel good. I'm happy that I can eat whenever I am hungry.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:49 am

Bob, thank you so much for your concern and sharing your experiences. I know that I should have immediately sought out medical help but I didn't. I don't go to doctors much. It will be very responsible of me if I make an appointment for an eye exam this week. I haven't had one in 30 years! I haven't gone since I was a child. I take my children on a regular basis but myself….no. My boss happened to marry an ophthalmologist and she wouldn't have been diagnosed with her serious eye condition otherwise. They found a problem in a routine exam. Thanks again for your advice and concern.

I shopped till I dropped yesterday with my DD and her friend and it was fun! We all packed a lunch and ate in the car. I’m so glad that I did. What I packed was so much better than what the fast food establishments offered and it was cheaper! More money for shopping! I noticed that my energy has been steady and long lasting. We went swimming afterwards and it felt great. Just a really good day. I have also noticed that my moods have been more even and I feel calmer. Probably a result of all those wonderfully healthy carbs.

Today I need to go grocery shopping. I’m just going to buy what is in season and looks good and hopefully put together some wonderful dishes this week.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Good news! I saw my eye doctor and he said that my eyes are fine. He said that what had happened to me was an ocular migrane. He said it's nothing to worry about unless it happens a lot or is followed by regular migranes.

I feel tired today and am craving cheese and junk foods. I came home and ate leftover potatoes. I hope that I can convince myself to stick with this no matter what. I keep trying to tell myself to just think of substitutes for what I am craving like potatoes instead of chips. My dd made pesto ealier today. I was tempted but I didn't have any. I was also tempted by the hummus but it wasn't fat-free. Too tired to make my own tonight. I need to go find some veggies. Maybe carrot sticks.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:00 am

Today is day 10.

I am feeling much better. I have lost 7 pounds already! Yeah! I'm out of the 180's! My mood seems to be more positive. I am just following the McDougall plan, not MWL, and it's working!

I am eating what feels like lots of food. 3 meals a day, plus snacks. I'm surprised that it is working so well even though I have been eating bread, bagels (whole grain), and popcorn. I feel like I'm cheating when I eat those things and I don't want to give them up until I have to. To fill me up I am eating potatoes(white and sweet), brown rice, barley, and oatmeal as well as lots of veggies and a couple of fruits a day.

I think that I will go to the gym today with my DH. I haven't been exercising yet. I'm feeling like I am ready to now though.

Have a great day all!
woods38

Postby lfwfv » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 am

Sounds like you're doing great!! Keep on keeping on!
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby woods38 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:58 am

Well, I went back to SAD over the weekend. I ate, I drank, later I wasn't very merry. After eating dairy my allergies and asthma were bothering me again, having a few drinks made me feel unwell and disturbed my sleep and I found out that after I indulged my cheese cravings it wasn't that good! It smelled funny and tasted too salty. I guess in the short amount of time that I was on plan it really did have a positive effect. I feel so much healthier eating well. So, yesterday (Monday) I went back on plan and felt better as the day went on. I had the thought of committing to 90 days. 90 days from yesterday will be 10/10/10. That's pretty cool. So today is day 2, 88 left to go. I think that if I can mentally commit myself to this goal I will be lighter and healthier in 90 days and have a good chance at making lifelong changes in the way that I eat, look and feel.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 am

I found this information - I think that it will help me to stay focused and inspired.

So, if it takes 21 days for the brain to create a new habit but 90 days to lay an old habit to rest, wouldn’t lasting change be more likely if we were to perform our new habit in lieu of an old habit for at least ninety days?

Accepting this argument, I present to you The 90/90 Principle – 90 days of total immersion of a new habit over 90 days of complete abstinence of the old habit.

To master a new habit, you may consider the following.

1. Write down your new habit and refer to it often.
2. Imagine what it will feel like to have mastered this new habit.
3. Post positive reminders throughout your world.
4. Join a support group if one is available or create one of your own.

Do as much of this on a daily basis as you can for at least the next 90 days.
source: http://iwishicouldtellyou.wordpress.com ... principle/
woods38

Postby sksamboots » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 am

90 days is a good plan. keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning