Blenders / VitaMix

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blenders / VitaMix

Postby jam in fl » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:56 am

I am on my 2nd Magic Bullet. They work pretty well, but are small. Also, I have trouble with leaking on the last one.

I have seen the commercials for the Health Master Emulsifier Blender; definitely looks too good to be true and the reviews seem to agree.

I hear good things about the VitaMix 5200 I think it is. Expensive!

I really find blending the best way for me to get lots of veggies in my day (fruits too).

Does anyone have experiences, opinions, or suggestions for me?
Thank you!
Judy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waHR4zs/]
[/url]
jam in fl

Re: Blenders / VitaMix

Postby DangerousKiwi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 am

I met a chef that swore by the vitamix and would not use anything else. If it's something you're going to use often, it may be worth the expense. I only use my blender once a month, so I can't justify the vitamix for me.
DangerousKiwi

Postby greentea » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:03 pm

I've had my vitamix for about a year now and have absolutely no regrets. It's amazing! It is simply the best blender I've ever used. Soups, sauces, dressings, and smoothies have never been so creamy. It crushes ice and makes soft ice cream.
I have read that some people find it hard to scoop out all the food, but I use a thin spatula which works well. Some have complained about it being hard to clean, but the key is to clean it right after use and not let it sit dirty. Simply add hot water, a couple of squirts of dish soap, and blend it for a minute. The odd time when something is stuck to the sides, use a sponge and wipe the insides then rinse.
I have heard equally good things about the Blendtec.
greentea

Postby jam in fl » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:38 am

Thank you for your replies. I will look into the VM some more. Any other opinions welcomed!
[/url]
jam in fl

I also love my VitaMix!

Postby veggiecat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:30 am

Where are you in Fl?
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby jam in fl » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:54 am

The Tampa Bay area.
[/url]
jam in fl

Postby dkwig » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 am

Love my vitamix!!! :-D
[/url]
dkwig

Postby jam in fl » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:30 am

Thank you! I am going to hunt for one online...
[/url]
jam in fl

Postby frozenveg » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:49 am

FWIW, I've had my Vita-Mix for many years (14?) and I have used it a bit, but it sure is nice to have. I do, like many, find it a pain to get stuff out, even with the skinny spatula.

Now that there are only two of us, though, I use my "stick blender" a lot more, and it is much cheaper, less than 1/3 the price. I got a Cuisinart one that had a small food processor jar attachment as well as a cup that you can put the stick blender in, and it works really well for making hummus and salad dressings, blending small amounts of cooked veggies to give body to soup, and things like that.

Since the McDougall plan emphasizes minimal processing of your food, I don't have the need to make smoothies, cream soups, etc. Simpler is my mantra!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:28 pm

i had a Magic Bullet....it last one month before the rubber rings all got tied up and broken! I returned it. I had a Vitamix a long time ago and sold it for what I paid for it on Ebay cause i didn't really use it that much back in those days. in 2006 I replaced it with another one! I love it. I have the old 5000 but bought the new 5200 containers for it which are much easier to clean and get the top off. If you have a Costco near you they have demos there occasionally and sell the complete 5200 for about 349.00.

I bought mine from Vitamix but there are cheaper options! The motor lasts forever, they still had my old one under warranty so they didn't charge me any tax or shipping to reorder it again....I debate at times between using the vitamix or my Kitchenaid food processor. Unless I am making too big a batch of things, I use the Vitamix. It is a bit difficult to get all of it out but with a small rubber spatula it isn't bad. Like Greentea said, I clean it out and put the stuff in a container and add a couple of drops of dish soap and blend and it is clean. I also ordered the smaller 5200 containers but I missed the 64 oz. one so I got a good deal at Costco to buy the entire wet container with blade. I still have my old 5000 64 oz. container, minus the blade if anyone needs one.... :-D
ncyg46

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:53 pm

I love my Vitamix. I use it often, and especially in summer for making banana chocolate ice cream. I load it up with frozen spinach and then put in the cocoa powder, vanilla, little balsamic vinegar and 3 or 4 or 5 frozen bananas and enough water to process it into soft serve. Oh. My.

One thing I would like information on is grinding grain with the Vitamix. I know they have a wet and dry container and blade, but what is the difference? Can I grind stuff like brown rice into flour with my "wet" container and blade, or will it hurt it?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:21 pm

i think it will...i have a small 32 oz.dry container which I got separately but really haven't used it that much :D
ncyg46

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Do you want to sell it? 8)
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 pm

lol...no not really..I use it for rice flour and a few others! But do you want another 64 oz.? The old style?
ncyg46

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:52 pm

I got a Vitamix a short while ago and totally love it. Latest craze is lentil flat bread or pizza crust (Soak overnight, rinse and drain well, VM w/ maybe a little water, add some herbs. Spread on parchment paper on cookie sheet about 1/8-1/4 inch thick and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Eat as is or add toppings)

The link below will tell you a lot about VM and compare to Blendtec and another one, Omni. Very good prices for them and the site owner is good about answering email questions.

url]www.3blenders.com/[/url]
GeoffreyLevens

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning