Pressure Cooker

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Pressure Cooker

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

You can quick-soak beans in the pc, directions are in the Lorna Sass book which is my pressure cooking BIBLE! Small beans like blacks or navys get one minute at high pressure, then drain and put fresh water and cook for around 15 minutes. Larger beans like garbanzos and kidney beans quick soak at 5 minutes high pressure and then cook with a water change for around 20 to 35 minutes, depending on the bean.

The LS book also has directions and time tables for grains and vegetables. I use the book almost every day for something. The only thing you need to do is leave out the oil.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Tex gal wrote:If the cost of a K-R is a problem, I think you would be better off with a stove top model of a less expensive brand rather than the electric model. There is nothing to break, and as long as it is a reputable brand so that you can replace gaskets when needed, you should never have to replace it.

My first stainless pc was NOT a Kuhn Rikon and I thought I was saving money. Well. The pot worked OK for a few months then developed a bubble in the bottom. I called and it was under warranty, but they didn't have that model to replace it with in that same size, since they were changing the way they were made and my particular pot was discontinued. They offered me a smaller pot with a little short frying pan model, or nothing. I was not happy with the smaller pot at all and ended up buying a Kuhn Rikon. If I had bought the Kuhn in the first place I would have saved money!

I still have the small 4 quart pot but it doesn't get used except as an extra regular kettle. It never worked as good as the Kuhn does, requires much more electricity to stay up to pressure than the Kuhn. The short fry pan is actually useful for frozen vegetables and steaming things quickly, since it is small it comes up to pressure quick but it does steam up the kitchen much more than the Kuhn does.

I'm just sold on Kuhn, it's the only way to go. They occasionally have them on sale at Amazon, one time a bunch of people on the McDougall forum got an exceptionally good deal when Amazon made a mistake and had a price 100 dollars less on a whole set or something really bizarre. So for like 49 bucks, people got a whole set of Kuhn pressure cookers. What a deal, and I missed out on it! :?
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:06 pm

the Kuhn Rikon is wonderful...I also bought mine from Pleasanthillgrains! I have the 7 ltr..Kuhn Rikon 7L Turn-Top Cooker:
I had to call them and they measured everything for me so I knew that it would fit in the rv cabinet!!!!!

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/kuhn_rikon.aspx

it's so safe, I love it. We bought it originally for rest stops so we could cook dinner in those days (before McD) but I do beans in it and soups if I am hurried. I admit I use the solar cooker more to save money but this one is a workhorse!!!! I also have done brown rice in it in a Ohsawa pot! I liked the turn top better than just the push button for the rv.
ncyg46

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Tex gal wrote:All the recommendations were to go with a standard stove top pressure cooker, unless there is some specific reason you can only use an electric one. If the cost of a K-R is a problem, I think you would be better off with a stove top model of a less expensive brand rather than the electric model. There is nothing to break, and as long as it is a reputable brand so that you can replace gaskets when needed, you should never have to replace it.

My concern is leaving a pressure cooker on the stove. With an electric we should not have to watch it closely. Maybe I'm overly concerned about this. We have an electric rice cooker that we use a lot and we were hoping we could find something similar in an electric pressure cooker.
Rob

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Rob, the longest time I am cooking with my pc is around 30 minutes. Maybe 45 if I do garbanzos without soaking first, but I hardly ever do that. I can always find something to do in the kitchen for that length of time. Usually it is around 15 minutes and that is nothing. I never leave the room when my pc is cooking. I listen to is all the while and make sure I hear the hiss, no hiss and there can be big problems! I have never had an overpressure incident because I am right there by the thing. If it has ever started to overheat I just lift it to the sink and run cold water on it, or move it off the burner.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby serenity » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:02 pm

I use an electric pressure cooker and I love it. I've tried stove top cookers, and they don't fit into my lifestyle. I like to be able to be out of the room, doing laundry, taking a shower, whatever while it cooks. And I can put it on delay cook or warm. Plus, it seemed that the stove top model required a certain skill level of being able to tell by the hiss if the pressure was high enough or too high. Now that I think about it, that's the old jiggle top. They're probably better now. Anyway, never got the hang of it. I'm sure I could, but the electric works for me. Roberta Joiner (Roberta's Corner) and I were talking about them when I was up in Santa Rosa several years ago, and she had the same type and used hers all the time.

So, if the stove top doesn't fit what you need, I say don't hesitate to try an electric.
serenity

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:29 pm

yes...you have to babysit a stove top a bit more....mine goes to low and then high pressure and I turn the stove down to low. I also have a flame tamer to keep the temp consistant.

I have never tried a electric one so I don't know but I know Sabrina Nelson uses an electric in the cooking demos. Just up to what you want. Just check the pressure ratings. Most recipes call for 15 lbs pressure and some of the electric ones are lower.

My bad experience was with one built by Fagor for rv'ers called ...oh heck I can't remember the name but it was sold at rv shows and it was horrible. The top vibrated loose everytime we traveled and had to re-put it together ever time I went to use it and it didn't go up to 15 lbs pressure. I sent it to my sisterinlaw since she is in a house and not traveling! Oh I think is was called Rapid Cook or something like that....now their website is as seen on tv stuff!!!!! Well never mind...the website is parked right now...guess they went out of business! Good for them!!!! :D
ncyg46

Postby bob2200 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote: I never leave the room when my pc is cooking. I listen to is all the while and make sure I hear the hiss, no hiss and there can be big problems!

The Kuhn Rikon is normally silent but hisses when it does go overpressure and releases steam. I do leave the room sometimes, and that's how I know.
bob2200

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 pm

when I hear it steaming I turn the flame down and then watch while it goes to the 15 lb pressure and then turn it on low! Mine has the 8 lb and 15 lb pressure so I wait till it gets to the high setting and turn the flame to low!
ncyg46

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:31 pm

serenity wrote:I use an electric pressure cooker and I love it.

Is there any particular brand(s) that you can recommend?
Rob

Postby lydia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:23 am

My stovetop fagor blew and could have killed someone...I had beans all over my kitchen, it bent my gas stove grate, pan landed on the floor...I just got a check from the company for 600$ for the damage. I would not recommend a Fagor. I still have faith in my old presto and would love to try a kuhn sometime....
lydia

Postby lydia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:23 am

My stovetop fagor blew and could have killed someone...I had beans all over my kitchen, it bent my gas stove grate, pan landed on the floor...I just got a check from the company for 600$ for the damage. I would not recommend a Fagor. I still have faith in my old presto and would love to try a kuhn sometime....
lydia

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:37 pm

lydia wrote:My stovetop fagor blew and could have killed someone...I had beans all over my kitchen, it bent my gas stove grate, pan landed on the floor...I just got a check from the company for 600$ for the damage. I would not recommend a Fagor. I still have faith in my old presto and would love to try a kuhn sometime....

That's a little scary! :( It's the reason we're looking at electric units; however, that's not to say an electric unit could malfunction as well.
Rob

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:02 pm

the only thing i can say is to check the pressure on an electric one...most recipes are written for 15 lbs pressure, not sure if the electric ones go that high....
ncyg46

Postby serenity » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Rob wrote:
serenity wrote:I use an electric pressure cooker and I love it.

Is there any particular brand(s) that you can recommend?

Not really. I bought mine years ago from QVC. In talking with Roberta, she knew of it and knew the mfg that made them - but I can't remember. It was a well known name and hers was from them. They just put a private label on the QVC model.

QVC doesn't sell that particular one anymore. I bought the type they are selling for my daughter last year, and she is happily using it. I think you mentioned you were looking at Cuisinart. I don't see how you could go wrong as long as the general internet reviews are good.

By the way, I ended up buying a second, larger one, because I frequently make bean dishes in them. For beans, you don't want to fill more than half way full. Some of my recipes, I'm fine with my 6 qt. But others (such Willie's 3 Lentil stew from Sabrina Nelson) I wanted a bigger one (out of an abundance of caution, probably) and bought the 8 qt. It is just large enough to be awkward to lift, so I prefer to use the 6 qt whenever possible. I would recommend that size.
serenity

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning