Pressure Cooker

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Pressure Cooker

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:38 pm

I went on Vegsource to find out what Sabrina Nelson was using in her cooking demos....here is a link to it!
http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/pressure_cookers.htm

She was using the Farberware one at the cooking demos, but she also has the Kuhn Rikon and explains things in this article...Hope it helps! :D
ncyg46

Postby willing2believe » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Does anyone here use a pressure cooker on an electric stove? I remember my Grandmother using one when I was a kid and seem to remember my mom using one for a short while- maybe to can- and I know they both had electric stoves. However, when I was reading the reviews of the vegetarian cooking under pressure cookbook several people commented on the difficulty of safely using one on an electric stove. I would love to learn to use one but they scare me just a bit.

Thanks

Lisa

edited for spelling
Last edited by willing2believe on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]
willing2believe

Postby greentea » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:52 pm

willing2believe wrote:Does anyone here use a pressure cooker on an electric stove?

Hey Lisa,
I've only ever used my pc on an electric stove, both the traditional and glass top. I don't know why it would be difficult to safely use one on an electric stove. The only problem I've ever had with the pc is when food sometimes burns to the bottom of the pan, but that is only when cooking a dense dish like a stew or rice, and this can happen with gas stoves too. I know that I could avoid this problem if I used a flame tamer, but I just haven't picked one up yet. I mostly steam veggies, make soups and beans in my pc. I've been using it almost everyday for the past 5 years.
greentea

Postby Tex gal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:55 am

I would imagine the only problem with using on an electric range would be if one setting is too low to keep the correct pressure, and the next setting is too high. You might need to do a little juggling and possibly move it on and off the burner to keep it at the correct pressure for the full time. (But that seems to be true of cooking ANYTHING on an electric range, and is why we prefer gas! LOL!) On my gas range I had the flame turned down all the way and barely on once the PC got up to full pressure.

I did have problems with my first effort. I "tried" to cook black beans -- did the quick "pre soak" cooking for 2 minutes; then my book said to cook for 10-12 minutes, so I started with 11; they weren't done enough, so I did for 5 more minutes; still not done, so I did for 10 MORE minutes, and they are still very firm. I didn't think the beans were that old, but that's the only reason I can figure out for them not getting done in all that time. Had to give up and use a can of pintos for dinner instead! Do you think I can still rescue this batch with some more cooking, or should I just throw out the batch and the rest of the dried beans and start over with some fresh ones?
Tex gal

Re: Pressure Cooker advice please

Postby ChrisS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:39 pm

I just purchased an 8 qt. electric pressure cooker and the directions call for 1 TBSP of oil to prevent foaming with beans. This is my first pressure cooker. I bought it for brown rice and beans. Can anyone tell me if oil is necessary in all pressure cookers to prevent foaming? I guess the concern is the valve getting clogged. The grain instructions do not include any oil. Any advice will help me. I've already used it for other things and I was amazed at it's performance...but alas I'm stuck on the bean/oil question.
ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Oh dear! I think I just researched some of my own answers. Ok, the electric PC is going back. The one I chose only reaches 12 PSI and I'm concerned about the non-stick coating. I've read that this coating does not hold up well to pressure cooking.

After researching the Kuhn Rikon, this is the one I want, but I'm not sure which size and type to get. Any advice would be appreciated before I make another decision. Thank you!
ChrisS

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 am

i have a 7 L Kuhn Rikon. I would probably get the biggest one you would use because you don't want to overload it, and you can always use it for smaller items. With beans you don't want it more than 2/3 full (I think it is) and this size does it well! I got mine from Pleasanthill Grains....

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/kuhn_rikon.aspx

I have the turntop model and love it. :D
ncyg46

Postby grangran7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:59 pm

I have a stainless steel pressure cooker. It's a Presto 6 quart which I purchased at a Rural King store about 40 years ago. All I've ever had to do was replace the gasket and the little pop-up thing which is rubber. It pops up when pressure is brought up. I've used it both on gas and ceramic top electric with no problems. I hardly use it anymore. Since I've retired, I have more time to actually cook and think the flavor of food isn't as good from pressure cooking. I've tried giving it to my kids but they're all afraid they'll blow it up. I remember scenes like Lydia described from when I was a child. When my grandma was at work, sometimes Grandpa would take it upon himself to "cook". It was always beans. After the pressure cooker would blow up, he'd always come down the hill to our house and ask my mom and us girls to come clean up the mess. We did this for him the first time and grandma had a fit. She said if he made the mess, he should clean it up. The second time he came to get us, mom told him no. He was pretty upset with us but don't think he ever tried cooking beans like that again. If he did, we didn't know about it. There were beans EVERYWHERE!
grangran7

Postby ruupyet » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

ncyg46 wrote:i have a 7 L Kuhn Rikon. I would probably get the biggest one you would use because you don't want to overload it, and you can always use it for smaller items. With beans you don't want it more than 2/3 full (I think it is) and this size does it well! I got mine from Pleasanthill Grains....

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/kuhn_rikon.aspx

I have the turntop model and love it. :D

I am looking at buying the exact model you have. Have you ever measured how many cups/quarts of beans you end up with when you make them in the 7L model? Also, are you able to cook whole meals in there like rice, beans and veggies all at once.

I just ordered the books that some have suggested. I think I will flip through those when they come in from the library before I order the PC. I guess I am not entirely certain what the PC can do. I am really looking for a quick way to cook beans but that is a lot of money to cook beans in. I want to do more with it. Thanks!
ruupyet

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:37 am

small suggestion - not on cooking but on rememberhing stuff like that. When I have something going like watering the garden with the soaker hose, I set my kitchen timer. Mine if the old fashioned loud ding kind. It's easy to get distracted.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm curious...does your fagor pc hiss when it is up to pressure?
greentea

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Ok, that's interesting. My pc hisses while cooking, so generally I'm always aware of it (plus my place is small so I'm never too far away). In fact, if it's not hissing, then that is a problem, means something is stuck in the valve.
greentea

Postby greentea » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Maybe some other Fagor owners could weigh in on this for you.
The way mine works is it's quiet as it heats up, then I know it's reached pressure when it starts to hiss. I'll then lower the heat a bit to get a steady even hiss, and it does that the whole cooking time.
greentea

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning