salad recipes?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

salad recipes?

Postby mtns » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Anybody have any good salad recipes? A lot of times I just cut up some romaine lettuce and put some vinegar on it. I used to make some good salad recipes. Last week I made a mixed green salad with a few chopped walnuts and a homemade strawberry dressing. I loved it. I used to make coleslaw, but since cutting out mayonnaise I no longer make it. Same with a caesar dressing I used to make. I have made a carrot salad before with the mayo and raisins, but again no mayo. I want to incorparate more salads into my diet, because I tend to eat more veggies that way. I did find a recipe for a oriental salad that called for mandarine oranges and I thought I could mess with the dressing and get it just right. Anyway I would love some more ideas.
Thanks, kathy
mtns

Re: salad recipes?

Postby kirstykay » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:04 pm

I made the garbonzo spinach salad from the July 2007 newsletter to take to a dinner party last night. It was a big hit. In fact, it was the only thing there I could eat, and I didn't care one bit. It filled me up and it was delicious!! I'm going to make this a regular part of my weekly menu...it's simple and it's pretty enough for company!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Katydid » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 am

Here is a cole slaw recipe without mayo that I love. Grate cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. Sprinkle with dehydrated onion and celery seed. Add a finely diced a granny smith apple. The dressing is 4 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part honey or maple syrup. Pour over cabbage/apple slaw and let sit for an hour or overnight to let the flavors blend.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm

with my green salads, I've found it helps to put herbs in it, Like a italian blend or greek, or even french. Also fresh herbs when they are around.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby mtns » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the good ideas, I plan on trying some this week. I went to the store and got the stuff I need. Tonight I am going to try an oriental sald and see how that one turns out. Am really excited.
Kathy
mtns

my favorite salad

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Here's my current favorite:

Salad Ingredients:
dried cranberries (sweetened with only apple juice, if possible)
garlic cloves
mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
garlic salt/salt and pepper to taste
1/2 just-ripe banana (optional)
spring salad mix

Roast mushrooms and garlic cloves (I do it along with baking a yam or two) at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or so... season with garlic salt/pepper to your preference prior to baking... turn them a little bit at 15 minutes or so.. you can cook them until brown to dark brown...sometimes I even like them slightly burnt. If you are also cooking yams/potatoes, you'll have to remove the garlic and mushrooms and then return the baking sheet to the oven to finish cooking the tubers.

Dressing Ingredients:
St. Dalfour brand blueberry jam
maple syrup
rice vinegar (plain/original)

In large bowl, mix a spoonful or two of jam, little bit of maple syrup, and rice vinegar to make a dressing. Add the roasted garlic and mushrooms and stir. Add the cranberries and stir some more. (Add more veggies to your taste, like shredded carrots are yummy.) Add some spring salad mix and mix the salad together. Top with some slices of banana.

It's a sweet salad that goes really well with vegan butternut squash ravioli with pico de gallo as the sauce... or one of the yams once it's done.

Very delicious. :nod:

I'm also hoping for more salad recipes, thanks for starting this!
Caroveggie

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 pm

Katydid wrote:Here is a cole slaw recipe without mayo that I love. Grate cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. Sprinkle with dehydrated onion and celery seed. Add a finely diced a granny smith apple. The dressing is 4 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part honey or maple syrup. Pour over cabbage/apple slaw and let sit for an hour or overnight to let the flavors blend.

I was searching for a new cole slaw recipe to try and found this. I just made it and oh is it ever good! Thank you for posting it!

I used Honey Crisp apples and dry minced onion, even without sitting to let the flavors blend it's wonderful. The caraway is what makes it for me.

Mashed potatoes with cole slaw on top is what's for supper at our house!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby TheGreenBird » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Not really a recipe, but my favorite quick and added to a dinner salad is using organic boxed spring mix, with veggies (cuc, mushrooms, tomatoes, red onion) and topping with lemon juice and a bit of low sodium soy sauce.
-Jenny, mom to Lucas born 8.17.09, Diagnosed with PCOS and ITP-
Blog - http://theothermcdiet.blogspot.com
website - www.jennycrugerphotography.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRzpYhn/]
[/url]
TheGreenBird

Postby pnwgirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:50 pm

One of my favorites is a black bean and corn salad. I could live on this stuff! It is based on a recipe from the Esselstyn book.

15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tomato, chopped
8oz frozen corn, thawed under running water
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of one lime
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

It would be even better with fresh roasted corn. The cilantro/lime/balsamic combination is a real winner! Some people prefer less cilantro. I take this to potlucks and it is always popular.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6TdXWw/]
pnwgirl

Postby bancha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Super easy 3 bean salad

1 15-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can cut green beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c vinegar
1/4 c chopped red onions
2 T sugar

Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar. Add all other ingredients. Mix well. Best if it sits a half hour or so to marinate.

We refrigerate and eat over a couple of days. Sometimes toss some into a green salad.
-------------------

The following salad dressing recipe is from Chad Sarno demo at a McDougall workshop. It's now our favorite and has become a staple we keep ready in the fridge.

The Perfect No Oil Balsamic Dressing

1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup shoyu / or tamari
3 T maple syrup
2 T Dijon
3 T nutritional yeast
½ t vegan Worcestershire
1 T onion powder
1 clove garlic fine minced

Fresh minced herbs of choice; rosemary, oregano, chives..

In bowl, or blender, blend all ingredients until thoroughly mixed

===========

Cucumber Salad

3 large cucumbers
1 c white vinegar
3/4 c water
3/4 sugar
1 t salt
dash ground cayenne pepper
dash dried parsley flakes
1/8 t black pepper
dash dried leaf basil (Fresh is even better)

Combine all ingredients except cucumbers; heat until sugar melts/ Pour warm mixture over cucumbers. Store covered in refrigerator.

The cayenne and basil really makes this salad. It is good tossed on top of a green salad or other salads.
bancha

Postby pechke » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:53 am

Your mention of a carrot salad reminded me of this recipe:

Carrot Orange Salad, from Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites

4 large carrots, peeled and grated (about 4 cups)
2 navel oranges
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine everything in a bowl; let sit for about 10 minutes before serving it, for the flavors to come together. Refreshing!
pechke

Postby frozenveg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:56 am

Katydid wrote:
Here is a cole slaw recipe without mayo that I love. Grate cabbage and carrots into a large bowl. Sprinkle with dehydrated onion and celery seed. Add a finely diced a granny smith apple. The dressing is 4 parts apple cider vinegar to 1 part honey or maple syrup. Pour over cabbage/apple slaw and let sit for an hour or overnight to let the flavors blend.

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote: I was searching for a new cole slaw recipe to try and found this. I just made it and oh is it ever good! Thank you for posting it!

I used Honey Crisp apples and dry minced onion, even without sitting to let the flavors blend it's wonderful. The caraway is what makes it for me.

Mashed potatoes with cole slaw on top is what's for supper at our house!

OK--where did the caraway come in? I think it's a wonderful idea, but are my eyes going wonky?

BTW, all these recipes are fabulous--thank you all!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 am

frozenveg wrote:
OK--where did the caraway come in? I think it's a wonderful idea, but are my eyes going wonky?

BTW, all these recipes are fabulous--thank you all!

Caraway - it says celery seed, but when I READ it, I saw "caraway" for whatever wacky reason. Well, all I can tell you is it's wonderful with caraway in it. :oops: Is my face red?!
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby frozenveg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Oh, how funny! I'm going to try it with both or either, when I finally get a chance (I just used up all my cabbage yesterday and I'm going on a 10-day trip on Tuesday night!).
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:27 pm

It's just nuts. Anyway, I don't especially like celery seed but LOVE caraway so maybe my brain was not actually exhibiting signs of dementia and really subliminally helping me change the recipe so I'd like it better.

Which reminds me, almost time for the nice big cabbages for sauerkraut. I've got my crock cleaned and ready! When I bake sauerkraut, I always put onions and caraway in it.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning