Need good recipe for red beans and rice....

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need good recipe for red beans and rice....

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 am

I tried one of the Zatarain's mixes a week or two ago as "fast food" and it's not ideal McDougall food since it contains some bad things. I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for red beans and rice that might be similar in taste to the Zatarains brand mix? TIA!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Portuguese Beans

Postby PattyC » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi "Mrs. Doodlepunk"!

I don't know if this will fit the bill or not as I've not had the bean mix you're talking about. I got this recipe from a Portuguese gal that I worked with and it was their family recipe. It can be served over rice.

I know that red beans and rice are cooked a little differently and I have several other books that I'm going to look in but I knew I had this in my recipe file on the computer so I started with it. I'll keep you posted if I find something else.

Of course, it goes without saying that you would need to leave out all of the meat or use legal substitutes. I just left it in the recipe so I could get the general idea of the amounts just in case I wanted to substitute something else.

Good luck!

Pat

PORTUGUESE BEANS

2 CUPS DRY PINTO OR PINK BEANS ( USE 1# DRY )
4 CUPS WATER ( OR 1 CAN VEGETABLE BROTH AND WATER TO EQUAL 4 CUPS )
1/4 POUND LINGUICA
1/4 POUND HAMBURGER
1/4 POUND BACON
1 ONION, CHOPPED
1 CLOVE GARLIC, CHOPPED
1-1/2 CUPS TOMATO SAUCE
1 TEASPOON CUMIN
1/4 TEASPOON CINNAMON
1/4 TEASPOON ALLSPICE
1 BAY LEAF
½ TEASPOON SALT
½ TEASPOON PEPPER

WASH BEANS AND SOAK THEM IN WATER OVERNIGHT. DRAIN. PLACE BEANS IN A KETTLE WITH ENOUGH WATER TO COVER. BRING TO A BOIL.

IN A SKILLET, FRY LINGUICA UNTIL COOKED THROUGH. DRAIN FAT FROM LINGUICA LEAVING ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF FAT IN SKILLET. ADD LINGUICA TO BEANS. SAUTE ONION AND GARLIC IN REMAINING FAT UNTIL ONION IS TRANSLUCENT. ADD TO BEANS. COOK HAMBURGER IN SKILLET, DRAIN, ADD TO BEANS. FRY BACON IN SKILLET UNTIL CRISP, DRAIN, ADD TO BEANS. ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS. COVER AND LOWER HEAT TO A SIMMER. SIMMER FOR 2 HOURS.

NOTE: This recipe also cooks beautifully in the pressure cooker.
Pat

PattyC

Red Beans and Rice

Postby SharonPz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:44 pm

This is our favorite, in fact I think I'll make a pot tomorrow!

LOUISIANA RED BEANS AND RICE
½ C water
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
6 C cooked red beans with cooking water (Great Value brand from Wal-Mart get really creamy)
1 8oz can no salt added tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tsp each Tabasco sauce, chili powder, paprika
½ tsp thyme
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 to 2 pinches cayenne
black pepper, to taste

(To cook dry red beans, soak 1# red beans in water to cover plus 3” overnight, drain and cook in just enough water to cover, for approximately 3 hours. Or, POWER SOAK: Boil beans in water for 3 minutes in a heavy-bottomed pot. Cover and set aside for 2 – 4 hours, longer soaking will not hurt. Drain and discard water. Rinse beans. Proceed with cooking. This method reduces hard to digest complex sugars by 80%)

Sauté the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in the water in a large sauce pot, stirring frequently for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Serve over brown rice. NOTE: Can’t find no salt added tomato sauce? Blend canned no salt added tomatoes on “liquefy” in blender.
SharonPz

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning