1000 Vegan Recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 1000 Vegan Recipes

Postby Plumerias » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 am

Yipee! My husband just finished placing the Amazon order, so I will be joining in the fun soon as well. Of course, he wants to know what I'm getting rid of to make room for it............. :eek: I sure hope there's a really generous soups and stews section. I could use some new ideas for both.
Plumerias

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 am

you will love it! It's like an encyclopedia of vegan recipes! Just have a hard time deciding what to make for one....so I watch what Becky makes and go from there!
I keep the cookbooks that I use the most in a plastic open bin on the couch! They are in the back cabinet, in shoeboxes in the bedroom and down my side of the bed! Some had to go! :(
ncyg46

Postby Plumerias » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:56 am

I think maybe my old Mollie Katzen books might go to the used bookstore. I don't use them very much, and could certainly sit and type the recipes I do use into a file on the computer. I'll miss them symbolically though, as she was my first vegetarian cooking teacher. Of course, I need to find a decent used bookstore.......
Plumerias

Postby Becky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:11 pm

veggielou wrote:My DH ask what me to give him a suggestion for Christmas. My answer 1000 Vegan Recipes. It is on it's way from Amazon. Hey. Not that I needed a nother recipe book. My book closet is full,but thats okay.

Yay Veggielou!! :D :D
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Plumerias wrote:Yipee! My husband just finished placing the Amazon order, so I will be joining in the fun soon as well. Of course, he wants to know what I'm getting rid of to make room for it............. :eek: I sure hope there's a really generous soups and stews section. I could use some new ideas for both.

Yay Plumerias!! :D :D

I know what you mean about passing along the Mollie Katzen books - I don't use Moosewood much at all anymore, but it seems like a classic to me, so I keep it. I have another one of her books, all centered around breakfast called "Sunlight Cafe". Oh, what a wonderful book! You do have to make subs for the dairy and leave out the oil, but such great breakfast ideas.
Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:15 pm

ncyg46 wrote:you will love it! It's like an encyclopedia of vegan recipes! Just have a hard time deciding what to make for one....so I watch what Becky makes and go from there!
I keep the cookbooks that I use the most in a plastic open bin on the couch! They are in the back cabinet, in shoeboxes in the bedroom and down my side of the bed! Some had to go! :(

It would be great if all of you could start sharing with me some of the recipes you've made/will be making from 1000 Vegan Recipes, it will help me decide where to go next, too! :)
Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 pm

bebe wrote:I made the Corn and Potato Chowder. It was delicious and easy, and even my husband who had a cold loved it.

This is a great soup, isn't it? Perfect for cold days, and for someone with a cold! :)
Becky

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:52 pm

You can always sell them back on Amazon! and OMG that chard and red lentil sauce is wonderful. I admit that I followed the recipe except for the red lentils which I definitely will use next time since I had some rotini that needed some help from another site and it already had garbanzos in it. I made this sauce to save it and used some new italian tomatoes I found. They are sooooooo good. I know they are canned but such a different taste than I ever had before! They are 28 oz. cans of LaValle Pomodori Pelati Intaliani or italian peeled tomatoes in tomato puree with basil leaf. They are delicious and only have 15 mg of sodium. I got them at World Market/Cost Cutter store for 2.49 and now I signed up for their offers I have a 10.00 off a 30.00 order so guess where we are going this week! I will stock up! :D :D I didn't realize there was such a difference with italian tomatoes....
ncyg46

Postby vgnwitch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't know if I have already mentioned it in this particular thread, but Robin's dessert recipes are very sweet. You can easily cut back the sugar by half. I have also had no problems using whole wheat flour and omitting the fat. Everything I have made from 1000 Vegan Recipes so far has been gobbled up by my extremely picky teenage daughter, so the book was definitely a worthwhile purchase!
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Becky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:31 am

Recently added recipes:

Basic Balsamic Vinaigrette
Cran-Apple Muffins

http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Herbivore » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:03 pm

You evil, evil people!
I had to pick something up at the bookshop yesterday, and there sitting on the display stand was the 1000 recipes.
So even though I have been reading this thread and thinking noooo I really don't need another cookbook, but gee it sounds good, no I have MORE than enough, ohh but everyone's really enjoying it - well! what do you think I did?
So yet another cookbook, and yes it looks fabulous, and I've made the moroccan vegie stew for lunch today. Honestly, I am a hopeless case.

(by the way, the first sentence is a joke, ok??)
Herbivore

Postby Becky » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Herbivore wrote:You evil, evil people!
I had to pick something up at the bookshop yesterday, and there sitting on the display stand was the 1000 recipes.
So even though I have been reading this thread and thinking noooo I really don't need another cookbook, but gee it sounds good, no I have MORE than enough, ohh but everyone's really enjoying it - well! what do you think I did?
So yet another cookbook, and yes it looks fabulous, and I've made the moroccan vegie stew for lunch today. Honestly, I am a hopeless case.

(by the way, the first sentence is a joke, ok??)

Hehehehe! :lol: :lol: :lol: That is funny! I'm sure you won't be sorry! So, you will have to give us a review of the stew!
Becky

Postby Becky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Recently added recipes:

Mornay-Style Cheeze Sauce
Cheezy Tomato Macaroni
Lemony Lentil and Rice Soup

The soup was so good! Having the leftovers tonight! The Cheezy Tomato Macaroni was also very good.

http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Herbivore » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Rating on the Moroccan vegetable stew - very nice. The only change to McD was to use water instead of oil in the first step. Nice balance of flavours - I find a lot of Moroccan-style recipes are too sweet, but this one was not. Lovely aroma and appearance - plenty of admiring comments at work lunch table.
Makes a huge quantity - half the recipe yields 1200g (more than 2&1/2 lbs). I found a 400g serve was just right for me with some barley and greens.
Herbivore

Postby Becky » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Herbivore wrote:Rating on the Moroccan vegetable stew - very nice. The only change to McD was to use water instead of oil in the first step. Nice balance of flavours - I find a lot of Moroccan-style recipes are too sweet, but this one was not. Lovely aroma and appearance - plenty of admiring comments at work lunch table.
Makes a huge quantity - half the recipe yields 1200g (more than 2&1/2 lbs). I found a 400g serve was just right for me with some barley and greens.

That sounds really great, Herbivore! I will have to put this on my list of recipes to try soon! :nod:
Becky

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning