Weather!!!

Share your gardening experiences here

Moderator: JeffN

Re: Weather!!!

Postby Plumerias » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:39 pm

You should see what your local library has in the way of insect guides. I had one by Rodale Press, but it was old and I no longer have it, of course, so I can't suggest a title. You could also access your local extension service and see what kinds of publications they have, generally free I think. Make sure what you get isn't brought to you solely by Monsanto et al, or all you'll get is toxic solutions.
Plumerias

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Yes, the library is probably a good idea.

The summer before last when I got those really pretty bugs, I bagged one up in a sandwich bag and brought it to work to research on the intranet. Not sure how many that lunch time homework would go over at work :D

I do need to find our Extension. I belong to a local gardening list which is nice, so that may have a idea too.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Dendra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm

I am not sure if I could tell the difference.

While they are both green and 'wormy', they are easy to tell apart. The cabbage looper tends to be larger and duller in appearance. Do a google image search.

Or just post a picture here when you see some in the summer.

Our weather is still lovely here, sadly with no rain in sight. I did get my new Asian seeds in the mail today. Exciting! Think I'll plant some tonight. :D (In little containers in mix, and water them in the morning.)
Dendra

Previous

Return to Gardening